Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A word about credit unions

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

A word about credit unions

It was only through the MyFICO forums that I began learning about credit unions.

Over the last several years, I have had credit union accounts, and have been very pleased with the superior attitude, customer service, and product offerings.

But this federal government shutdown demonstrates even more vividly how special credit unions are, compared to banks. Most of the credit unions to which I belong are reaching out to HELP government employees who are without a paycheck due to the shutdown. It is really remarkable, and shows how important and valuable credit unions are.

Total revolving limits 650200 (530700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 714 EX 715

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: A word about credit unions

@SouthJamaica wrote:

It was only through the MyFICO forums that I began learning about credit unions.

Over the last several years, I have had credit union accounts, and have been very pleased with the superior attitude, customer service, and product offerings.

But this federal government shutdown demonstrates even more vividly how special credit unions are, compared to banks. Most of the credit unions to which I belong are reaching out to HELP government employees who are without a paycheck due to the shutdown. It is really remarkable, and shows how important and valuable credit unions are.

+1

I have 2 Credit Union accounts and both sent an email wanting to help if I was affected.

As a side note my Bank of the West Credit Card Account has a banner with number if affected.

Thumbs up to Bank of the West also.  Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 6
calyx
Super Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

+1

I have 2 Credit Union accounts and both sent an email wanting to help if I was affected.

As a side note my Bank of the West Credit Card Account has a banner with number if affected.

Thumbs up to Bank of the West also.  Smiley LOL

I've been highly impressed by the communications various credit unions have been sending out to my friends (who are mostly federal workers).  My credit union hasn't said anything, but our membership is contingent on state-gov't employment, so I wouldn't expect them to (they've been great for other disasters, though).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Yep, when I got to login my account at Penfed I get this message: AFFECTED BY THE RECENT GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN?
WE'RE HERE TO HELP - CONTACT US FOR MORE INFORMATION

Nothing at my account at DCU

And my local southern AZ credit union: Federal Employees: Vantage West may be able to provide temporary loan repayment options if you’re experiencing financial difficulties due to the government shutdown. - Vantage West got it's start as Davis-Monthan CU, Davis-Monthan is the air force base in Tucson. D-M is an active AFB, home base of the A-10 "Warthog" plane. But it's also the graveyard of old propeller military planes, thousands of them parked there.

Great to see the credit unions stepping up. I'm a government employee myself, but an employee of my local county government, so thankfully no shutdown.

Message 4 of 6
iv
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

True, credit unions are great... but even WF is doing this for the shutdown: https://www.wellsfargo.com/help/government-shutdown

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No surprise here but Navy Federal is offering a 0% APR loan for federal workers impacted by the shutdown with an eligible direct deposit set up through them. 

https://www.navyfederal.org/about/government-shutdown.php

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.