Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX just killed their AAA combo prepaid card

tag
joltdude
Senior Contributor

AMEX just killed their AAA combo prepaid card

Just got an email this morning from American Express saying how they are discontinuing their AAA prepaid card.. Had a hundred or so on the card for emergencies..

The card was attached to your AAA membership card... .. Kinda a smart idea if you ask me.. 

We are writing to tell you about some important changes to your AAA for American Express® Prepaid Card Account. AAA and American Express have decided to end the prepaid card program, and your account will be suspended on September 1, 2015.

As a valued Card Member, we ask that you please take action prior to this deadline, Your options include:

• Utilization of the available balance on your account. You can use your funds to shop virtually anywhere American Express Cards are accepted.
  • Withdrawing the balance from an ATM (ATM fees may apply).

Any balance remaining on the card after September 1, 2015 will be sent to you via check within 45 days of account closure.

To thank you for your business we wish to extend the following offer: If you are interested in obtaining a new prepaid account with additional features, sign up for American Express® Serve and get a $25 credit when you spend $25 with your new account1. Serve offers free ATM withdrawals at over 24,000 MoneyPass® locations2, online bill pay, mobile check deposit3 and more.

If you have any questions or would like to close your account, call us at 1-866-414-8623to speak with one of our Customer Care Representatives who can assist you with closing your account.

Thank you,

The AAA for American Express® Prepaid Card Team

They want people to move to Serve.. I sort of liked Serve but didn't use it enough to justify the fees.. Yes its just 12$ a year but didn't like the thought of it whittling down to nothing.. 

I have plastic now. But still liked knowing i had 100$ i could access if i needed it... kinda like that extra bill hidden in your wallet..

-J

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX just killed their AAA combo prepaid card

Wow, that really sucks.  It seems when something works really well, that's when they like to either nerf it, or kill it completely.

I have a Serve that I use similar to how you've been using your AAA combo card.  The way I get around the $1 monthly fee is I have my checking account do an ACH 'push' to the Serve Card once a month, usually $10.  Serve treats this like a 'direct deposit', and waives the monthly fee (there is no minimum direct deposit amount to trigger the system to waive your fee).

The past few years when my Serve got to around $175 I would withdraw $100, then start over, but this year I'm letting it accumulate until the holidays.  Of course, in the mean time if I were ever in a pinch it would be there as well.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.