Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding my cousin to nfcu

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding my cousin to nfcu

Can I add my cousin who will be moving into my house as a member for navy since I am a member?
If yes will this affect me in any negative way with nfcu if say he applies for credit card and then his credit goes bad later or anything happens
Will this have an effect of my membership with navy?
i just wanna be safe
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding my cousin to nfcu

How are you eligable, and how long have you been a member?

I would make sure your in good graces first...   at least 90 days of membership before letting him join.   Have him call and join instead of doing it online.   See if they do it without your access # first.   They may just ask him how he is eligable and he can say he lives at your address and your a member and hes a family member....  see if that flies first.

Does he have proof he lives there with you - rent/lease contract?  Drivers License changed to your address?   etc...

They may ask for proof down the road

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you say add, do you mean as AU? If so then yes you can add him as AU (correct me if it's not about CC).

If he ever decides to apply for his own CC/loans and messes up, as long a you are not an AU to that account, it will not affect you.

Message 3 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Tread carefully make sure everything is good because i wouldnt want something to go wrong and have it come back to bite me .
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a member for almost 3 years and have excellent credit
And asking about to add him as a member as a family member not about a authorize user
He doesn’t really have a proof of address besides three existing credit cards that he will be changing it to my address
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My nephew was enlisted so I signed him up for NFCU (I paid the $50).  I then signed my brother up on his son's account 2 minutes later ($50).  Then I signed myself up using my brother's membership two minutes later ($50).

When the two ATM cards arrived at their house they went to a local CU and withdrew $40 from each card and let the accounts eventually be closed.  Dumb move on their behalf.  My brother's FICOs are all below 550 so financial knowledge is not his strong point.  He didn't care that I was hooking him up, all he cared about was a one time small cash grab.

As for me, I have savings and checking with NFCU and a $22k Cash Rewards card in good standing.  My membership account is now more than 4 years old.

Message 6 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I am a member for almost 3 years and have excellent credit
And asking about to add him as a member as a family member not about a authorize user
He doesn’t really have a proof of address besides three existing credit cards that he will be changing it to my address

As already mentioned, if you sponsor him as a 'household member' he should expect to have everything verified at some point, and he'll need to have every 'i' dotted and every 't' crossed.  Seriously.  At a minimum he'll need to have the correct address on his ID (matching yours) and to be safe a utility bill in his name.  NFCU won't play.

The easiest route would be to help your grandparent become a member, then your grandparent could sponsor your cousin.  If you have a grandparent who served then your cousin could use them as his sponsor instead of you (without your GP even having to join).  You could also sponsor your mother/father who could then sponsor their sibling/your cousin's parent, which would make your cousin eligible without having to be concerned with locked accounts.

Just my 2¢.

Message 7 of 15
kugel
Valued Contributor

He’s actually not my cousin he’s my nephew
Message 8 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@kugel wrote:
He’s actually not my cousin he’s my nephew

In that case it could be even easier... simply sponsor his parent/your sibling, and then he would have a clear path.

If that's not possible, sponsor your parent, then they could sponsor him as their grandchild. 

I would use the 'household member' as an absolute last resort, since when there's drama that's often the cause.

Message 9 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Im confused, Kugel are you the same person as Op, and if so why are you using 2 different user names on myFico? It csn be confusing to other posters, ie me lol.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.