Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Please Installment Loan

tag
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Advice Please Installment Loan

^ I try to put disclaimers. As always, it's YEMV.

Looking at your signature, your profile is very robust. It may not benefit you but perhaps it could another member with a not so robust file.
Message 11 of 18
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@AllZero wrote:
^ I try to put disclaimers. As always, it's YEMV.
Looking at your signature, your profile is very robust. It may not benefit you but perhaps it could another member with a not so robust file.

Just wanted to show the other side of the coin.

Have a daughter with only two credit cards and am not suggesting that she get a loan

She has 820+ scores with about 5 years history.

No: azeo, secret sauce, SSL's, posting large spend, high CL's, carrying balance, balance transfers, etc.

At some point I am sure she will need a loan, and that is when she should get it.

It only takes good payments and time.

Simple, but most want to make it complicated or believe in shortcuts.

Message 12 of 18
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

Big Thanks to all the thoughts.

I will not be taking the loan to chase a few points.   Don't need the AAOA ding and likely the smartest thing I can do for my score is just let time take care of the few inquiries i have, as well as age my accounts.  

A few years ago, while my credit was descent, I had a very thin file.  So I've worked the last couple of years establishing accounts and building relationships with various financial institutions.  While I still don't have an installment loan, I think I'll survive and see no reason to chase one that I don't need.

Thanks again.

||
Message 13 of 18
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats on the 25k loan pre approval. I’m with PenFed and sure wish they’d send me that 25k loan preApproval. High 700’s means like 780 ish? I’m at 723 Fico 9 at Pen Fed but I guess when I get to over 750 then I will qualify for the 25K loan. Nice !!!

If you've just become a PenFed member, I would expect you'll be receiving mailers soon. I'm not sure what criterias will qualify you for a loan check. Pay attention to the APR though. They've been known to fluctuate. E.g. one might be high. Few months later another mailer with lower APR.

Message 14 of 18
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@MachoHombre wrote:

I will not be taking the loan to chase a few points.   Don't need the AAOA ding and likely the smartest thing I can do for my score is just let time take care of the few inquiries i have, as well as age my accounts.  

A few years ago, while my credit was descent, I had a very thin file.  So I've worked the last couple of years establishing accounts and building relationships with various financial institutions.  While I still don't have an installment loan, I think I'll survive and see no reason to chase one that I don't need.

Thanks again.

Glad you've come to a decision that works best for you. You've got a line-up of cards with prime lenders.

Message 15 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MachoHombre wrote:

I have relatively strong credit score (high 700's), utilization near zero and all is good.

But, I don't have any installment loans.

One of my revolving account banks (PenFed) recently sent me a pre-approval on a personal loan up to 25K.   No gimimck, spend anyway I want etc.   I can set the durtion to up to 60 months.   Terms are NOT good (9.9%)

I have no need for a loan (actually I do have some upcoming expenses that I could put 10K to use for a month or two, but I certainly don't need it and no pain in my life without the loan.)

Finally to my question,

Should I take this offer, put the cash in my bank account.   Within a couple months pay back a HUGE percentage of the loan and then pay the tiny balance off over an extended time  -->with the goal of having an almost paid-off installment loan on my credit file for an extended time?

Here are my naive thoughts

--No credit check, I'm pre approved.  ..so no HP ding.

--New account will affect my score(?) (or will it? it's not a revolving account)

--Interest, I'll be paying a couple bucks in interest, but nothing significant cuz I'll immediatly pay off the vast majority of the loan even at 9.9% the tiny balance will create miniscule interest.

My gut tells me it's not worth messing with ...but am I missing an opportunity by not taking this offer and using it to have a solid installment loan on my credit file.

Any wisdom, (especially good wisdom LOL) appreciated.

Go with your guts.

1. You're doing fine without it.

2. You don't need to mire yourself down.

3. You don't need to shorten your average age of accounts, reduce your age of newest account, etc

4. PenFed won't let it stay open forever if you pay it down right away, they will accelerate the due dates.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 16 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MachoHombre wrote:

Thanks again.

Good call Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have received the Penfed Personal Loan check several times in the last 6 months.

I'm always approved up to $25k with several repayment terms (12 - 60 months).

However, I've noticed the APR has decreased each time that I receive a new offer (see below):

• Offer 1 = 18% (check expired)
  • Offer 2 = 16% (check expired)
  • Offer 3 = 14% (check expires on 12/31/19)

My debt has decreased since receiving offer 1 and 2 so I'm going to assume that is why the current offer's APR is better than offer 1 and 2.

My entire credit profile UTL is roughly 12%. 

• LendingClub PL – $21.5k (opened 3/2019)
  • IT - CL $15k (opened 10/2018)
  • BofA Cash Rewards - CL $5k (opened 10/2018)
  • NFCU GO - CL $25k (opened 10/2018)
  • PenFed Power Cash Rewards - CL $10k (opened 10/2018)
  • CITI Simplicity – CL $4,400 (opened 3/2019)
  • Amex EveryDay – CL $25k (opened 3/2019)
  • Wells Fargo Platinum – CL $8,000 (opened 3/2019)
  • NFCU Cash – CL $20k (opened 5/2019)

I’m carrying $6k (promo balance) on Discover and $7k (promo balance) on GO.

Per all the above creditor’s my FICO Scores run between 738-780. As of 11/11/19 my mortgage credit score was 720 (refinancing my mortgage with Provident Funding).

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.