Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am i eligible for NFCU, PenFed, or DCU?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am i eligible for NFCU, PenFed, or DCU?

Greetings myfico members,

I am trying to gain membership in anyone of these CU by way of a savings account and than down the line I wish to open a CC or an auto loan with one. My fico scores are good and are all above 700. I personally would like my membership to be soft pull only but may be willing to let a hard pull go through.  I work for Elkhart County in Indiana so I guess you can say I work for the government also if that helps at all? Sorry I'm just new to memberships and only have a membership with my local CU, but am looking to expand and make a savings account with another quality CU. If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks in advance myfico members!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Am i eligible for NFCU, PenFed, or DCU?

You only need a very small donation of $5-10 to join DCU and Penfed.  Navyfed requires affilitation with DOD or a family or household member to sponsor you.  Penfed has been really tight lately after 2008.  I wouldn't bother with them.  You will be happy with DCU.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay well is DCU a hard pull? If so is it worth it in your opinion if I plan on getting a CC later on and refinance a car loan later also?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

A DCU membership requires a hard pull on EQ.  Apply when you intend to finance a car.  They will probably also extend a credit card to you as well at that time.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi new to the boards here, but felt I could add to the convo.  Smiley Happy

I just actually opened a PenFed Credit Union Account not too long ago.  They did do a hard pull that shows up on Equifax and that at first showed up at a credit inquiry.  I don't work for the government but they have an option if you make a donation to one of two groups you can open an account.  I chose the Voices for American Troops at $15.

I have been trying to rehab my credit for the past year, my scores are climbing from low 500's to mid 600's and had been doing research on what all i would need to get financing or lease on a new car and decided opening an account with a credit union would be a good idea to give me options when it comes time get the car.  

There wasn't a problem with my scores opening up the account. I've only had the PenFed account for about 2 months now, but already I'm pretty impressed with them.  I called them when the credit inquiry first appeared because I thought I read in the ToS it was only going to be a soft pull and when it showed up as a "credit" inquiry and not a bank inquiry, I asked them to adjust it and they changed it to bank inquiry and they did.  Not sure if that is common, but it was a pleasant suprise.

Message 5 of 8
ddemari
Super Contributor

Op- I am not eligible for NFCU, but I am a member of penfed and dcu. Penfed in my opinion is way better then than dcu, both are hard pull for entry but penfed uses the same pull for 60 or 90 days fo new members. Dcu is a pull for everything except preappprovals I believe. When I joined nasa it was a soft pull not sure if it is that way anymore. Join penfed when u r ready. With those scores they will treat u good.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all of the support! I think I'm going to go with PenFed once I refinance or trade in my current car in 6-7 months. My credit will only get better as my utl goes from 15% to 5% or lower. I also want some of my inquries to fall off from my dumb just turned 18 year old spree haha Smiley Happy
I also would like to build up my job history as I just started my government job 4 weeks ago and don't start full time until Oct 10th due to some issues with the city council here.
Message 7 of 8
ddemari
Super Contributor

Waiting till things simmer down and history builds up is always a good thing! Sounds like u have a good plan! Let us know down the road what you decide!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.