Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Personal Loan Offer

tag
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Amex Personal Loan Offer

Hi All, 

Today I was checking on my amex accounts and I got an immediate pop-up for the personal loan. I've never received a personal loan offer from them before. I was offered (and took) a business loan offer from them in march this year, and looks like I've qualified for a personal one now. The rate is pretty decent. I don't need it, but thought I'd put it out there as these seem to come in waves. 

It did not show up at all in the app so I only knew about it by logging in on my pc. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 8.08.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 8.09.01 AM.png

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Personal Loan Offer

I've used this in the past and have since received the same preappovals again.

If you don't use the pop-up, you can use the "check my score" link and it will show up at the bottom of that page too. 

A few things...process is super easy, no HP if you accept and no prepayment penalty. However, paying early doesn't negate future payments like an SSL. In other words, make a huge payment worth 6 months of payments today and next month, you still have a payment due. Extra payments just shorten the term. Also, my preapproved amounts seem to fluctuate every few days from $25k to $50k. Not sure why...no profile or AX Balance changes...though for some reason, its always different. If you keep an eye on it, it may go up or down every few days. 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do these preapprovals only show up via pop-up or can one check somewhere on the Amex site? Thanks.

Message 3 of 11
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do these preapprovals only show up via pop-up or can one check somewhere on the Amex site? Thanks.

They're by invitation only. So, no, you can't check for them on the site--if you're eligible for one, they'll let you know.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

Message 5 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They're by invitation only. So, no, you can't check for them on the site--if you're eligible for one, they'll let you know.

Umm, no. You can check for an offer.

Savings and loans>Loans>Personal loans 

Message 6 of 11
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

I received an offer for $24.6k 36months @7.98%. Had never seen this type of pop up offer from Amex.😊

@credit_is_crack wrote:

Hi All, 

Today I was checking on my amex accounts and I got an immediate pop-up for the personal loan. I've never received a personal loan offer from them before. I was offered (and took) a business loan offer from them in march this year, and looks like I've qualified for a personal one now. The rate is pretty decent. I don't need it, but thought I'd put it out there as these seem to come in waves. 

It did not show up at all in the app so I only knew about it by logging in on my pc. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 8.08.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 8.09.01 AM.png

Message 7 of 11
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know where you're seeing that! I was going by their FAQs, which says:

How do I apply for a Personal Loan? 

At this time, you can only apply if you receive an offer to apply and continue to meet eligibility requirements. You’ll know the maximum amount you can borrow, the maximum annual percentage rate(s) (APR) and your repayment period options before you submit an application....

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 8 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know where you're seeing that! I was going by their FAQs, which says:

How do I apply for a Personal Loan? 

At this time, you can only apply if you receive an offer to apply and continue to meet eligibility requirements. You’ll know the maximum amount you can borrow, the maximum annual percentage rate(s) (APR) and your repayment period options before you submit an application....

I spelled it up there, but here you go 

Screenshot_20211117-135135_Amex.jpg

Screenshot_20211117-135152_Amex.jpg

Screenshot_20211117-135208_Amex.jpg

Screenshot_20211117-135227_Amex.jpg

Message 9 of 11
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

I've used this in the past and have since received the same preappovals again.

If you don't use the pop-up, you can use the "check my score" link and it will show up at the bottom of that page too. 

A few things...process is super easy, no HP if you accept and no prepayment penalty. However, paying early doesn't negate future payments like an SSL. In other words, make a huge payment worth 6 months of payments today and next month, you still have a payment due. Extra payments just shorten the term. Also, my preapproved amounts seem to fluctuate every few days from $25k to $50k. Not sure why...no profile or AX Balance changes...though for some reason, its always different. If you keep an eye on it, it may go up or down every few days. 

Does paying it down early save you on any interest? I see the agreement says "If you pay off your loan early, you will not have to pay a penalty and you may be entitled to a refund of part of the finance charge"

I tried it now for 24-months with the intent to keep the payment low, and then pay off in a few months, hopefully saving on interest. I hope I didn't make a mistake and now I have to pay off 2-years worth of interest if I intend to pay this off in say 6-months. Smiley Frustrated

Potential Future Cards
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.