cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Prepaid Card - Is it worth it just to get in the "Amex club"?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Prepaid Card - Is it worth it just to get in the "Amex club"?

So Amex has previously denied me because of BK 12/2013 blah blah.. just now i got an email for an Amex Serve Cash Back card.. it is a prepaid debit account that seems to be online only and that earns 1% cash back on purchases.

has anyone else had this offer? does it ever grow,become unsecured or let you more easily get approved for amex?

Thank you for any info you guys can provide!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Prepaid Card - Is it worth it just to get in the "Amex club"?

The Serve platform is not in any way, shape or form connected to the credit card departments. There will be no influence.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok thank you!.. plus i just read it has a $6 monthly fee and $4 to reload.. yikes!

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 to what Pooka89 said.

Message 4 of 16
Berk
Established Contributor

That's like asking if your bank issued debit card with the Visa logo on it will build your credit score. Two different animals that just happen to process payments throught the same system.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

ha ok.. just got excited at my first ever email "offer" from amex.. haha!

ive never ever heard of these cards before which is why i was asking

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am pretty sure it is not a card that requires being "approved" for. I think you can literally pick one up at walmart and load it right there at the store. 

Its a debit card. A prepaid one. Im not sure what you mean "grow" or "unsecure". Its not a secured credit card. Its kinda like asking if your reloadable visa card that you buy at rite aid will ever grow or unsecure. 

I dont know for sure because I dont have any experience with it, but I highly doubt it has anything to do with approval for other Amex products down the road. There is no kind of payment history or anything that could show some sort of responsible use. So i highly doubt it will effect your odds of getting a charge/credit card from them at any point

Message 7 of 16
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

+1 from me, too. Serve is what’s left from the Revolution acquisition and has no bearing on their credit/charge cards.

There was once a program where Amex would monitor your spend on the Serve platform and eventually invite you to apply for one of the big boy cards, but that ended years ago.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

okayyy so its a no.. LOL.. like i said i never heard of it so i was just curious.. Delete!

Message 9 of 16
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

okayyy so its a no.. LOL.. like i said i never heard of it so i was just curious.. Delete!

Nah, don't delete. It's good that these things are reiterated, so fresh, new forum members see it. Searching these forums for information can be cumbersome.

Also, you're going to get these emails every few weeks or so until you unsubscribe. Might wanna do it now. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.