Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Serve - Negative Changes

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Amex Serve - Negative Changes

I have an "Old Blue" Serve card from back-in-the-day, and I currently use it as one of my 'stashes' for petty cash and for the occasional Amex Offer (very occasional these days).

Today I got the following notice:

ServeChanges.png

The replacement card fee is (almost) tolerable, but the fee for mis-keying a PIN at the ATM is a bit much to swallow.  I know failed transactions aren't "free" yet this is the only card/account I have that has a penalty for this.  I don't like feeling like I'm being nickel-and-dimed.

I don't know if this change is only for "Old Blue" Serve, or for other 'flavors' of Serve as well.  If you have a Serve card of any variety you might want to pay special attention to any emails you get from them.

Anyway, it looks like I'll soon be parting ways with Serve... it served its purpose during a time when my options were limited, but these days there's no need to put up with such draconian policies.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Serve - Negative Changes

@UncleB wrote:

I have an "Old Blue" Serve card from back-in-the-day, and I currently use it as one of my 'stashes' for petty cash and for the occasional Amex Offer (very occasional these days).

ServeChanges.png

The replacement card fee is (almost) tolerable, but the fee for mis-keying a PIN at the ATM is a bit much to swallow.  I know failed transactions aren't "free" yet this is the only card/account I have that has a penalty for this.  I don't like feeling like I'm being nickel-and-dimed.

I don't know if this change is only for "Old Blue" Serve, or for other 'flavors' of Serve as well.  If you have a Serve card of any variety you might want to pay special attention to any emails you get from them.

Anyway, it looks like I'll soon be parting ways with Serve... it served its purpose during a time when my options were limited, but these days there's no need to put up with such draconian policies.

Thats just absurd! I agree, the occasional mistype happens. Smiley Sad 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

ServeChanges.png

Just another way to nickel-and-dime the under-banked. Smiley Sad (I am not implying that you fall into this demographic, UncleB. Others do. Smiley Wink)

Message 3 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, Uncle B just "SERVED" AmexSmiley Wink

You got Served....

Serves us right...

Served its purpose...

You live snd you serve....

Serve the bird....

Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 12
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

ServeChanges.png

WOW!  Really for a miskeyed PIN.   I have two debit cards, not the mention CC, that have a PIN.   I keep my PINs different for security reasons and yes sometimes I have a brain fart and use the PIN for the other debit card.   

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 5 of 12
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Screw that, they have declined over the years and to charge for a mis type is sad. It cost the system veryt little to send a message that the wrong pin was used.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an old Serve card as well. If I used the card frequently, then these fees would irk me. However, in the 4 years that I've had the thing, I've never used it at an ATM, and the risk of my losing it is very minimal since, again, I don't break it out very often. Come to think of it, I don't think I've used it in over a year. I might have, like, $20 on it. Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just another way to nickel-and-dime the under-banked. Smiley Sad (I am not implying that you fall into this demographic, UncleB. Others do. Smiley Wink)

This was my exact thought as well - they are attempting to squeeze the very people who can least afford it.

When I got my Serve back in 2012 I did have a checking account, but I only had two sub-prime credit cards, and I wanted a card on the Amex network mostly for nostalgia but also to have a 'backup'.  The Serve met my needs quite well (no complaints).

The last time I used the card for an Amex offer was December 2016, and I now mostly just send it $10 each month by ACH (to get the monthly fee waived) and when it gets to $150 or so I withdraw the funds and use the 'found' money to pay down a bill.  For a while I was using it to keep my credit card rewards, but when the amount passed $1k I decided that it would be best to keep my cash rewards in an actual bank account, which is what I do now.

I've not carried the card with me in ages, but it's rather worn from back when I did.  When I first got it I occasionally had a hard time using it online since the expiration date was so far out, so it seems they were intent on not having to send out replacements until they absolutely had to. 

Another perk I got from it was that it allowed me to confirm my PO Box address with Paypal without changing the billing address on one of my credit cards, which often comes in handy (I like for eBay packages to be delivered to my PO Box).  Come to think of it, for this reason I might hang on to it, but it will absolutely never be swiped again, and I'll lower my monthly ACH "direct deposit" to $1.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just want to warm anyone planning on doing Christmas shopping that Amex serve makes you wait 7 business days just for there part of releasing your mobey.I think that is abserd so .Make sure not to use this card for purchasing gifts are anything that you may not be completely sure about
Message 9 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just want to warm anyone planning on doing Christmas shopping that Amex serve makes you wait 7 business days just for there part of releasing your mobey.I think that is abserd so .Make sure not to use this card for purchasing gifts are anything that you may not be completely sure about

Are you talking about check deposits?  If so, that's nothing new.

Anytime I've loaded funds either via debit card or in-person at Walmart with cash the funds have always been available immediately.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.