cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any one using Acorn as an investment tool?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Any one using Acorn as an investment tool?

How many different tax lots does a typical customer end up with?
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have an edu e-mail address you can avoid the fees for 4yrs. I really don't understand investment but I've been giving it a try with since I have a vaild edu email and it seems to save quite a bit. I've been with acorns for almost a  year and I have a little bit over 2k built up from deposits and round-ups. I change my deposits quite frequently depending how much I can save. I usually do the daily deposits from anywhere to $5-15/day. Right now have it set to $5 because I'm saving a little bit more in my actual savings account at the moment.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to throw this out there. For those who prefer to invest themselves, or dont like acorns for whatever reason, I recently stumbled upon a competing app called Qapital that does a similar thing. You can set round ups but also other triggers to withdraw into a free savings account. Also has an overdrawal safety feature that stops deposits if your funding account hits $100.

It even has an optional trigger than will move a preset amount if your local temperature drops below freezing. Found that kinda funny.

But more useful triggers include setting a budget for something and moving the difference if you stay under or triggering every time you buy from a certain merchant if youv got some habits you can take advatage of. You can also order a linked debit card if that interests you.

Not much experience with it yet but I prefer my own investments to acorns yield personally. So figured id give it a try, I regularly move chunks to a high yield savings (kudos to discover for tracking the feds a bit, increased .10% in the past month) but a free separate savings to fund my current investment accounts could be handy. Well see.
Message 13 of 14
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

I became very serious about money and finances - quite late in life. I started with Acorns - and I love it. I was one of their earlier members, and in only 3 years, I now have a little over $5,000. Yes, you have get a higher return value elsewhere - but this is extra - on top of regular and consistent investing. The money going into Acorns, I never miss. I contribute automatically $10.00/week - but those round-ups ADD UP! And if I had had Acorns years ago, with the knowledge that I now have - I cannot begin to imagine what a sum that I would have built. I love Acorns!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.