Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else use Simple bank?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone else use Simple bank?

I opened an account with simple back in the summer, around July or so, just wondering if anyone else here has any experiences with them, or maybe were interested and had questions about it? I have to say, so far I've loved it! I use my phone for everything already anyway, especially finances. I find their software to work really well, never had problems, and customer service has been reasonably quick and friendly. The only thing is deposit cash is not possible directly, as it is online only, but I have plenty of free ATMs to get cash surcharge free, and if I really need to deposit cash, I still have an account with a local savings bank that I can then transfer into Simple from there if needed, so everything about it works great for me, and has really helped me budget with the goals feature, I've made it my main bank account. I was just curious to get other's thoughts if any of you have tried it?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone else use Simple bank?

I used it for a full year.  I was in love with them.

But this was when I was a debit card/cash user.

Since I've gone full 100% credit cards for my spend, Simple became nothing more then a very pretty, yet underwhelming, online/mobile bank.

I wish they were attached to a credit union instead of a bank.  I wish they refunded ATM fees.  I wish they returned at least a little bit of interest (I think it was like 0.01 last time I checked?)

They are great people and I love their app/website, and the goals feature is really great and forward thinking.  But I felt like I was missing out on some perks of credit unions (like Alliant) with ATM fees refunded, better, but still not great, interest rates, and the option of going to a branch if need be.  

And as my checking account is basically just an inbox for my direct deposit until I pay credit cards, and transfer to higher yeild savings/invenstment accounts....Simple just didn't fit the bill for me anymore Smiley Sad

But I loved them so much when they DID fit the bill for me that I always check in on them about once a month to see what they're up to.  

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 2 of 5
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I opened an account with simple back in the summer, around July or so, just wondering if anyone else here has any experiences with them, or maybe were interested and had questions about it? I have to say, so far I've loved it! I use my phone for everything already anyway, especially finances. I find their software to work really well, never had problems, and customer service has been reasonably quick and friendly. The only thing is deposit cash is not possible directly, as it is online only, but I have plenty of free ATMs to get cash surcharge free, and if I really need to deposit cash, I still have an account with a local savings bank that I can then transfer into Simple from there if needed, so everything about it works great for me, and has really helped me budget with the goals feature, I've made it my main bank account. I was just curious to get other's thoughts if any of you have tried it?

I looked at Simple bank when I was deciding on bank accounts. Great idea implementation, but I think that Charles Schwab bank outclasses them. US based customer service, a meager (but still exists!) .10APY on their checking account, no FTF, all ATM fees reimbursed, free checks, and for me my employer 401k now shows in a nice, integrated site. I use my CU, MSUFCU, for cash transactions Smiley Happy

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 3 of 5
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I looked at Simple bank when I was deciding on bank accounts. Great idea implementation, but I think that Charles Schwab bank outclasses them. US based customer service, a meager (but still exists!) .10APY on their checking account, no FTF, all ATM fees reimbursed, free checks, and for me my employer 401k now shows in a nice, integrated site. I use my CU, MSUFCU, for cash transactions Smiley Happy

Oh yeah, duh, that was another thing I totally forgot, Simple does't have checks.  They will send one via billpay, but I never like doing that.  My landlord is old school, I literally have to hand him a check in person.

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was intrigued by the concept, but like an above poster, I used credit cards for almost all of my spending. I was also turned way off by their really low interest rate. I ended up at a local credit union that pays 2.5% in their checking account (and the requirements aren't crazy).

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.