cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone familiar with Affinity FCU? - Joined (Aug)

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Joining Affinity Federal Credit Union

There is no "service area" problem with this credit union. They are open to all as long as you become a member of the organization they promote.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 21 of 135
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

There is no "service area" problem with this credit union. They are open to all as long as you become a member of the organization they promote.

@Anonymous had issues and there are a number of reports of being denied membership on DoC. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Affinity-FCU-application/td-p/6019602

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ia-only-affinity-federal-credit-union-credit-card-200-bonus-5-on-bookstores-including-amazon/#comment-968560

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ia-only-affinity-federal-credit-union-credit-card-200-bonus-5-on-bookstores-including-amazon/#comment-904463

These CUs like to arbitrarily enforce their geofence despite having legitimate ways around that fence. 

Message 22 of 135
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

I first read about this CU while reading @ChazzieT ‘s post CU's to join for Savings Rate now and possible Credit Products later! I was intrigued by their SmartStart Savings Account rate of 2% on the first $2,500, and 1.00% on the next $2,500, given that rates have been steadily going down across all HYSAs. Apparently, the rate was even higher pre-pandemic. I was also intrigued by their Cash Rewards Visa® Signature Credit Card, which gives 5% at all bookstores, including Amazon.com (as well as 2% back at restaurants, gas stations, and supermarkets). After mulling it over for a couple of months, I finally decided to join on Monday. Since I have not found much information about this credit union in the forums, I figured I would share the process with you all here for future reference.

The joining process was easy. Their geographical areas in NJ and CT are TINY, so I joined by donating $5 to the New Jersey Coalition for Financial Education (NJCFE). The application readily gave this option and allowed you to make your donation simultaneously. I selected the SmartStart Savings Account as my CU product, and they give you a $1,000* limit to fund your account(s) with a debit or credit card. If you opt for ACH or check, the funds would take several days to transfer. Since I didn’t want to wait (& to avoid a possible cash advance fee using a CC), I used my Discover debit card (FYI, this did not seem to trigger the 1% cashback like I was hoping). NOTE – the $1,000 limit includes the $5 donation and the $5 CU member share, so the remaining $990 went to the savings.

Towards the end of the process, they asked three questions to prove my identity. For me, they were:

1. In what month was (my brother’s name) born?
  2. Which of the following addresses have you lived at (numerous options were given)
  3. What is (my mother’s name)’s state of residence?

The application specifies that the quicker you answer the better, so if they ask you tough questions, you may have some trouble if you take too long. According to comments on the Doctor of Credit website, some people complained that it asked them questions about family members that they were not close to and were denied membership for failing to answer correctly. Apparently, there was no getting around this during recon. This was one of the main reasons I did not apply for one of their credit products during the member application, since I wanted to make sure that my membership was accepted first. Also, they did not do a hard pull for membership (I wasn’t sure about this one).

Once the application was completed, I created a log-in (luckily you can make up your own user name, unlike DCU, which makes you wait to get your member number first). I also downloaded their app on my phone. My first impression of their website is that it is almost identical to DCU’s layout. It also appears that they do SP loan and credit card approvals. The quarterly FICO score that they give seems to be Experian 8, which is what I am guessing they use for lending decisions. I will have to confirm these points, but it certainly looks promising! The money transferred over to the account by the next day (Tuesday), and I was able to connect my other checking accounts to my Affinity account so that I can transfer over more money.

*According to comments on Doctor of Credit, the funding limit at some point was $3,000 - $5,000, but as of August 10, 2020 they limited the transaction to $1,000.

@KLEXH25 Thank you for posting your experience! I applied for membership today and as you mention it was super easy. The only difference, you enter chosen user id and password as a part of the application. The last page was a prompt to upload and submit your ID. Now it's pending final review and approval. I'm in NJ and plan to use affinity for business accounts. Once membership is approved, they let you snail mail the application with required documentation. My local credit union requires a branch visit to set up a business account. This was such a welcome opportunity since I have absolutely no intention of visiting public places just yet.

These banks are getting slammed with fraud. There is currently a sting operation going on in NJ and NY for theft from santander bank atms. It  amazes me how these people figure out how to scam the system. If interested, here's the info on the article -

More than two dozen people who used prepaid debit cards to steal from ATMs at banks around New Jersey have been arrested, according to three law enforcement sources. The sources told NJ Advance Media this is a multi-jurisdictional investigation in...
https://www.nj.com/news/2020/08/dozens-arrested-in-widespread-atm-theft-scam.html

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 23 of 135
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@ocheosa wrote:

@KLEXH25 wrote:

I first read about this CU while reading @ChazzieT ‘s post CU's to join for Savings Rate now and possible Credit Products later! I was intrigued by their SmartStart Savings Account rate of 2% on the first $2,500, and 1.00% on the next $2,500, given that rates have been steadily going down across all HYSAs. Apparently, the rate was even higher pre-pandemic. I was also intrigued by their Cash Rewards Visa® Signature Credit Card, which gives 5% at all bookstores, including Amazon.com (as well as 2% back at restaurants, gas stations, and supermarkets). After mulling it over for a couple of months, I finally decided to join on Monday. Since I have not found much information about this credit union in the forums, I figured I would share the process with you all here for future reference.

The joining process was easy. Their geographical areas in NJ and CT are TINY, so I joined by donating $5 to the New Jersey Coalition for Financial Education (NJCFE). The application readily gave this option and allowed you to make your donation simultaneously. I selected the SmartStart Savings Account as my CU product, and they give you a $1,000* limit to fund your account(s) with a debit or credit card. If you opt for ACH or check, the funds would take several days to transfer. Since I didn’t want to wait (& to avoid a possible cash advance fee using a CC), I used my Discover debit card (FYI, this did not seem to trigger the 1% cashback like I was hoping). NOTE – the $1,000 limit includes the $5 donation and the $5 CU member share, so the remaining $990 went to the savings.

Towards the end of the process, they asked three questions to prove my identity. For me, they were:

1. In what month was (my brother’s name) born?
  2. Which of the following addresses have you lived at (numerous options were given)
  3. What is (my mother’s name)’s state of residence?

The application specifies that the quicker you answer the better, so if they ask you tough questions, you may have some trouble if you take too long. According to comments on the Doctor of Credit website, some people complained that it asked them questions about family members that they were not close to and were denied membership for failing to answer correctly. Apparently, there was no getting around this during recon. This was one of the main reasons I did not apply for one of their credit products during the member application, since I wanted to make sure that my membership was accepted first. Also, they did not do a hard pull for membership (I wasn’t sure about this one).

Once the application was completed, I created a log-in (luckily you can make up your own user name, unlike DCU, which makes you wait to get your member number first). I also downloaded their app on my phone. My first impression of their website is that it is almost identical to DCU’s layout. It also appears that they do SP loan and credit card approvals. The quarterly FICO score that they give seems to be Experian 8, which is what I am guessing they use for lending decisions. I will have to confirm these points, but it certainly looks promising! The money transferred over to the account by the next day (Tuesday), and I was able to connect my other checking accounts to my Affinity account so that I can transfer over more money.

*According to comments on Doctor of Credit, the funding limit at some point was $3,000 - $5,000, but as of August 10, 2020 they limited the transaction to $1,000.

@KLEXH25 Thank you for posting your experience! I applied for membership today and as you mention it was super easy. The only difference, you enter chosen user id and password as a part of the application. The last page was a prompt to upload and submit your ID. Now it's pending final review and approval. I'm in NJ and plan to use affinity for business accounts. Once membership is approved, they let you snail mail the application with required documentation. My local credit union requires a branch visit to set up a business account. This was such a welcome opportunity since I have absolutely no intention of visiting public places just yet.

These banks are getting slammed with fraud. There is currently a sting operation going on in NJ and NY for theft from santander bank atms. It  amazes me how these people figure out how to scam the system. If interested, here's the info on the article -

More than two dozen people who used prepaid debit cards to steal from ATMs at banks around New Jersey have been arrested, according to three law enforcement sources. The sources told NJ Advance Media this is a multi-jurisdictional investigation in...
https://www.nj.com/news/2020/08/dozens-arrested-in-widespread-atm-theft-scam.html

That's odd. They did not ask me to upload my ID or any other documents. I just had to enter my license number. I wonder why there was a discrepancy. I tried to remember as many details as possible and took notes, but I didn't write this up until several days later.

Interesting note about the fraud! I had no idea. People are always looking for an easy way to make money...it's sad but not surprising. 

Message 24 of 135
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@ocheosa I forgot to ask, what did you apply for during your application? Savings, checking, credit?

Message 25 of 135
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

I only applied for the basic savings. Once the membership proces is complete, I plan to apply for bsuiness checking.

It was actually quite similar to my experience joining SECU MD recently. Guess they had to up the security procedures to weed out nefarious operators. At the same time it creates a hard stop in the process to allow room for denials as seen in other posts. As well as the opportunity for a banker to call to upsell credit products. Will hopefully hear back tomorrow.

Thanks again!

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
Message 26 of 135
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

No problem, and good luck! Tomorrow my youngest account hits 1 year, so I'm planning to apply for that Visa very soon. I'll report back when I do. 

Message 27 of 135
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

No problem, and good luck! Tomorrow my youngest account hits 1 year, so I'm planning to apply for that Visa very soon. I'll report back when I do. 

Good luck to you too! Great rewards packaged in a snazzy card design - I hope you get it, fingers crossed!

Message 28 of 135
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

BTW it was recently ranked by Forbes as the #1 credit union in New Jersey:

https://www.forbes.com/best-in-state-credit-unions/#434832636167

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 29 of 135
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just approved with a $5k SL. Referenced FICO was 783 EXP, had 3 INQ prior and 2 newly opened accounts and an SBA loan(which I believe they count towards DTI even if it doesn't show on your reports). Income reported 20k and I was out of their geolocation but still located in NJ.

I was asked to provide 2 years taxes, I provided 2017,2018. Soon after I receive my Welcome member email and few hours later received email from the underwriters that I was approved.The weird thing is that I was told I was to sign DocuSign documents but those documents never came. I never actually signed anything.

i created my profile with them and sure enough 5K visa signature is sitting there, should arrive soon. I hope they keep the HI5 program going as it's the only reason I opted for this card. I hope these data points help someone else!

p.s: this is my first post here but I've been lurking for a while, you guys are wonderful!

Edit: I realize I left out a lot of useful information such as my Utilization and total open accounts so I'll add them here.

my utilization was about 3% and I have 71k (almost 3x my income, so I'll prob stop requesting CLI although most banks have approved every request) available CL between 8 accounts (not including affinity visa).

Message 30 of 135
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.