Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have Chase AARP ?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Anyone have Chase AARP ?

@Anonymous wrote:

So you asked if your AARP cc would work? Did they ask for the membership card? 

I did a lot of 'surfing the boards' on the AARP Visa during the time I was also checking out the AAA Visa, and regarding the AARP discount the "anecdotal tales" were that it was highly YMMV. 

Technically the AARP discounts are only for members of AARP (with an AARP membership card), but some folks have been able to get the cashier to give them the discount by using the AARP Visa card.  As the other folks mentioned, anybody can get the AARP credit card (assuming they qualify with Chase), regardless of age.

The real question I have is who can get a AARP membership?  I went to the AARP webpage, and when I entered my DOB (I'm under 50) it didn't prevent me from filling out the rest of the page.  It might have stopped me at some point before accepting my member fee; I didn't try to go that far.  Historically, the organization has been open to folks 50 and older, so I'm not sure how they would handle a member request from a younger person.

As for getting the discount, if a restaurant/business has a senior discount, they have the right to offer it to anybody (or to nobody) and at any age they designate.  However, If a business specifically offers an AARP discount, they should honor that discount for anybody that is a AARP member, regardless of age (and it would follow that a non-AARP member would get no discount, regardless of age, unless the business offered a discount for both).  In other words, a senior discount isn't always the same as the AARP discount.  Of course, in the real-world, clerks/waiters/cashiers have a lot of leeway with this, so it's going to be heavy on the YMMV.

I'm interested in hearing from other folks who have experience with using the AARP Visa in the 'real-world'.  What have your experiences been?

Message 11 of 16
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

My AARP membership number is on the card. I think that should be enough. If they need proof of age, just show your ID
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think as long as you are a registered AARP member you are entitled to discounts (hotels, restaurants, movies, etc....) but to have full access to their AARP brand products and services like their insurances and travel insurances you may have to be age 50 or above or pay the premium. Let us know Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think the risk of it not being honored for younger folks kinda defeats the point of the discounts, especially considering you pay for the membership so you have to calculate that before the discounts to determine if this is even "worth" it.

My point is basically I don't think anyone who "shouldn't" be of the age for AARP can really expect the discounts to be honored. Will some places not care? Sure. But since this is just a discount on a handful of places, it's nothing that's IMO worth throwing money out on a membership that you don't otherwise need

Message 14 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I think the risk of it not being honored for younger folks kinda defeats the point of the discounts, especially considering you pay for the membership so you have to calculate that before the discounts to determine if this is even "worth" it.

Exactly.  That's why I think it's very much YMMV. It's easy for the cashier to just 'hit the button'... or not.

Also, like I mentioned in my post above, AARP membership is generally offered at 50 (?), but many business don't offer a 'senior' discount until 60+, so the AARP disc. and a 'senior' disc. are really different creatures.

Honestly, I'm still a little ways off from being 'legitimately' eligible, and I'm not going to rush it for a free donut.  Smiley LOL

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Exactly.  That's why I think it's very much YMMV. It's easy for the cashier to just 'hit the button'... or not.

Also, like I mentioned in my post above, AARP membership is generally offered at 50 (?), but many business don't offer a 'senior' discount until 60+, so the AARP disc. and a 'senior' disc. are really different creatures.

Honestly, I'm still a little ways off from being 'legitimately' eligible, and I'm not going to rush it for a free donut.  Smiley LOL 

well reading the terms & conditions on Regal Cinimas it states you need to show them your Regal card and AARP membership card to get the discount. Not your ID. Only reason they may ask for your ID is to see if you are the owner of the AARP card and name matches both. I usually spend $35 to see a movie on Imax 3D and large popcorn and cherry coke so $8 movie ticket and $3 off large popcorn and soda would save me $15 which covers the 1 year AARP membership just using it one time. Works for me Smiley Happy  and for restaurants you know are discounted for AARP members you just slip your AARP membership card with your credit card when you pay and they'll see that both AARP and Credit card matches the name and should be good to go Smiley Happy

keep in mind...

''Membership fee includes spouse/partner free. Your spouse will also receive a membership card.''   

On the application it does not ask for your partner or spouse's age and my spouse/partner is much younger than me Smiley LOL  

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.