cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone use BECU as main checking account?

tag
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

Anyone use BECU as main checking account?

Although I have been happy with Alliant ($20 ATM fee rebates, beautiful online banking/app, fast ACH transfers are 3 important pros), with their lack of shared branch participation, and lack of support for Plaid (the app Honeydue that me and my wife use uses Plaid to connect) and now no longer working with YNAB...I am considering moving.  

What's been your experience for BECU as your main checking account hub?  Pros and cons?

Or, tell me what you love about your current bank.

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
crys12065
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone use BECU as main checking account?

BECU is not my main banking hub but they are my second.  One thing I love about them is the ACH push/pull for external accounts is one business day no charge.  I have my car loan and a BT card with them right now and I can move money into the account pretty quickly without splitting diret deposit from my main bank.  Plus no fees at all and no minimum deposit required along with the 4% APR for first $500 is nice too.  Overall my experience has been great and I would definitely recommend them even though I joined out of state.  That would be the only con I can see so far if you are not in Washington, I had a smooth experience but lots on people on here did not when joining out of state.  

My main FI is NFCU and I love them, if you can become a member then they would be my other recommendation.  Outstanding customer service 24/7, great mobile app, no ACH transfer fees or minimum balance requirements and just overall a great bank to deal with.  No complaints ever with them.  Except they do not participate in Co-op shared network so that is the one downfall. But I have never had to go into a branch and been banking with them for 3 years.  

In the garden until 2020
Message 2 of 12
TattnallTrio
Frequent Contributor

Becu does participate in the Co-Op network. I've made deposits at SchoolsFirstFCU's ATM in the LA area just fine. 
I use Eastman Credit Union for my main bank. They post direct deposits early.

5CF6629D-4D26-4612-B964-07AE94E17DBC.png

Message 3 of 12
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@crys12065 wrote:

One thing I love about them is the ACH push/pull for external accounts is one business day no charge.  

Oh, that's good, I like that.  

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 4 of 12
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@TattnallTrio wrote:

Becu does participate in the Co-Op network. 

Yup, that's why they are on my list of considerations.

Message 5 of 12
creditfan
Established Contributor

yes BECU is my main checking, I don't use ATM so fee rebate is not important for me. However they do have $6.00 rebate if you have their

Member Advantage Checking.

BECU has Zelle, so transfer money it's easy as it can be. It also has Money manager feature, you can connect all your other checking accounts and credit cards into one place for easy to manage

Message 6 of 12
joltdude
Senior Contributor

The one thing about Navy that is a bit difficult for me is the lack of Shared Branch or Deposit Atm support...

Most of the CUs around here all participate in both... even some regional banks support Deposit Atms... Navy has a few. but they are rare and since they dont have bill acceptors/check scanning.. it takes 5+ days to deposit... If they at least participated in the deposit atm network it would fine.. I wouldnt need share branches as much/at all...

-J

Message 7 of 12
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

The one thing about Navy that is a bit difficult for me is the lack of Shared Branch or Deposit Atm support...

Most of the CUs around here all participate in both... even some regional banks support Deposit Atms... Navy has a few. but they are rare and since they dont have bill acceptors/check scanning.. it takes 5+ days to deposit... If they at least participated in the deposit atm network it would fine.. I wouldnt need share branches as much/at all...

-J

No Mobile deposit?

Message 8 of 12
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

I just plugged my address into the NFCU Branches & ATMs finder and there are several deposit-accepting ATMs within 5 miles of my office.

Message 9 of 12
Green456
Established Contributor

@toothgrind3r wrote:

Although I have been happy with Alliant ($20 ATM fee rebates, beautiful online banking/app, fast ACH transfers are 3 important pros), with their lack of shared branch participation, and lack of support for Plaid (the app Honeydue that me and my wife use uses Plaid to connect) and now no longer working with YNAB...I am considering moving.  

What's been your experience for BECU as your main checking account hub?  Pros and cons?

Or, tell me what you love about your current bank.

I used them for 1 year as my main checking account. No issues. I switched to Bank of America/Merrill Edge to consolidate my accounts. BECU is the only credit union I am member of right now. Currently I keep their membership becuase of the following:

- no inactivity fees

- very little to no fees compared to other credit unions

- ATM refunds up to $6

- 5% interest on first $1,000

- great customer service

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.