Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Pay setup experiences?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apple Pay setup experiences?

So I have been on iOS since 2017 and I haven’t ever really bothered to set up Apple Pay. I tried to add my Discover and Navy Federal cards last year I believe and it just wasn’t working but I was bored tonight so I set it up. 

Wasn’t the most seamless experience most of the time. 

Navy Federal More Rewards - Had to call and speak to a rep to get this one added. He said it’s not usually a problem with the VISA or MasterCard cards but he had to manually add it for me. Card image is similar design to the actual More Rewards. 

Navy Federal Platinum - He asked me if I was planning to add this one, I said sure and added it, this just required me to open the app and hit OK. Easy peasy. Card image is very similar to the actual Platinum. 

Capital One QS - Got the option of a text or the app, chose the text, as soon as I typed in the code it was added and Cap shot me an email thanking me for adding it, explaining a bit how the security works (device account number used instead of my card number), that I can still use my card and Apple Pay is just in addition, and even that the first card that is registered becomes the default and can easily be changed. Very impressed with the way that they handled this one. It doesn’t show up as my image card though despite it being one of Capital One’s options, just a grey slate. 

Discover It - Was forced to call. Rep asked me if I was trying to add it to Apple Pay, asked me some security questions, took a few minutes but added no problem. Design is the same Dawn of Discover that I am using for this particular card, I’m guessing that’s part of why he wanted to know the A code on it (I have 3 designs currently). 

SSFCU Power Cash Back Rewards WMC - dropped a number that I have to call so I just removed it since I won’t be using this card. Card design was my SSFCU design. 

DCU Platinum - Dropped a number to call as well, removed since I won’t be using it. 

BBVA ClearPoints - prompted for app verification. App had me put in my account password and tap through some screens. Image is the same image as my actual card. 

PayPal Cashback - Not supported. I checked the list and Synchrony Bank is on it but apparently this specific card is a no go right now. This is a bummer since if I was going to use Apple Pay, it would be with this card so I guess if I ever need to use Apple Pay it’s going to be with the QS which I went and set as the default. 

I didn’t add any of my debit cards because I don’t use them but Navy Federal, DCU, and FirstBank of CO are all supported. 

I was a bit surprised how many cards want phone calls. The SSFCU and DCU cards even showed them being linked to my apps on the phone when I went to remove them so I would have thought that would be a verification option and it’s definitely disappointing to see that my daily driver isn’t supported. Maybe Sync will fix that in the future. 

That said, 1 card out of 8 not being supported isn’t bad. 

I am curious to hear about experiences from others. 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Apple Pay setup experiences?

I had a similar experience when I added my cards to Samsung Pay a while back.

Most just needed to send me a text code (easy peasy), but BBVA/Compass and US Bank both needed me to call.  NFCU also needed me to call for my Platinum MC, so I just canceled the addition since I didn't see myself using it very often.  A year later when I added my NFCU Go Rewards it was only a text code.

USAA needed me to open my USAA app, which was painless.  It was the only one of my cards that used the bank app for verification.

Notably, when I got my Galaxy S10 and needed to re-add all my cards none of them needed me to call (even US Bank and BBVA/Compass were able to send a code this time around).  USAA used the app once again.

The only problem I've ever had with it was with adding Paypal, it somehow got 'stuck' and never got all the way activated, so I deleted it thinking it would fix the problem.  That only made it worse, though, since Paypal thought the account was still linked although it wasn't (and a place-holder remained in the Samsung Pay app).  I had to remove and reinstall Samsung Pay (!) - and then re-add all my cards - to get things cleared up. 

Message 2 of 19
iced
Valued Contributor

Both Chase and American Express were easy and did not require a phone call.

Replacement cards automatically update on the app with no action required.
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Set up my Citi DC yesterday. Went through the process and used text verification, showed up successfully in Apple Wallet.

Then I went to use it - DECLINED. Opened the Citi app, got a notification to call them. Spoke to a CSR in Fraud and verified that I did add the card to Apple Pay. After that, all was well.

Message 4 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@iced wrote:
Both Chase and American Express were easy and did not require a phone call.

Replacement cards automatically update on the app with no action required.

Identical for me other than I can't put the CIP in Apple Pay which is a little annoying but w/e Smiley Happy.

        
Message 5 of 19
Five6Two
Frequent Contributor

They must either really trust me or I just got lucky. I added my Amex, BofA, Chase (Amazon), PenFed, Discover and REI MC (US Bank) easily. Asked for text as verification, did not even have to leave the app - the text came in and auto populated the data. I have used each one and have not been hit with fraud or decline Smiley Happy 

Siggy under construction Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 19
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Boldly going where no one has gone before....

I’ve never even opened the wallet app lol. I guess with Apple I assumed it would be painless to set up, but evidently not. Just another reason for me to forego Apple Pay. It’s too “techy” for me anyway. You young kids and your new fangled stuff. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I actually got an email from DCU that I had a secured message and when I logged in, it told me they added my card to Apple Pay lol. Guess I was a bit quick to remove it. It’s all good though because the only thing I would ever use that card for is a cash advance. 

I do actually remember trying to set up Samsung Pay on my Note 5... It was much more infuriating than this was. 

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that Capital One was so easy and some of the others were a bit more interested in verification — I’ve had my Capital One card for 5 years, they know I’m not doing anything suspicious with my account and would actually probably be very happy to get me to use it again. Other than Disco and SSFCU which are both a year and two months old, every other card is less than a year old. 

Message 8 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Boldly going where no one has gone before....

I’ve never even opened the wallet app lol. I guess with Apple I assumed it would be painless to set up, but evidently not. Just another reason for me to forego Apple Pay. It’s too “techy” for me anyway. You young kids and your new fangled stuff. 

It's honestly been painless for me other than when a card isn't supported for Apple Pay.

Works well for basically everything I do that supports QR code tickets too... airline tickets and my parking membership near LAX are the big two that get used, but Bonvoy rewards card came in handy too.

I don't use the pay feature of it much but it's actually one of my more utilized apps on my phone.

        
Message 9 of 19
800who
Regular Contributor

This weekend I tried to set up my debit and the three cards in my sig. The PP you know isn't supported. The other two were less than a minute to add and the debit wants a phone call... I really don't use my debit unless I have to so tbh idgaf.. need to wait more time for apple pay to become more mainstream.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.