cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying to NFCU through deceased family member?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying to NFCU through deceased family member?

I applied and got in over the phone. I also applied for their cash rewards and was approved! They’re apparently better for rebuilders than Penfed (which I found out through several denials/recons with Penfed.. and two HP 🙄) so far only 1 HP from TU with NFCU but I’ll see tomorrow if they report another HP (as I heard they don’t piggy back like Penfed). 

Hi ama050. ..That was for OP, but thanks for replying. Congratulations! I am looking at the Cash Rewards card as well.

So you said in earlier post you didn't even have to give his name??  Smiley Surprised 

So you gave them exactly what data over the phone?

Message 11 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined in early February through my grandfather, who served in WW2 (now deceased).  They asked me what branch of service he was in, and that was it.  Didn't have to provide any docs at all.  No HP for membership, opened a checking & savings over the phone.  A few weeks later, apped & got a Cash Rewards card, and that was a HP on TU.  So far it has been really smooth with them - you really can't go wrong by joining!

Message 12 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

I applied and got in over the phone. I also applied for their cash rewards and was approved! They’re apparently better for rebuilders than Penfed (which I found out through several denials/recons with Penfed.. and two HP 🙄) so far only 1 HP from TU with NFCU but I’ll see tomorrow if they report another HP (as I heard they don’t piggy back like Penfed). 

Hi ama050. ..That was for OP, but thanks for replying. Congratulations! I am looking at the Cash Rewards card as well.

So you said in earlier post you didn't even have to give his name??  Smiley Surprised 

So you gave them exactly what data over the phone?

I didn’t have to give my grandfathers name. She did ask if he retired from the Army. I wasn’t sure but I’m pretty sure all he did was serve and then get an honorable discharge. She asked what branch and said if I do need to provide docs, I’d have to 1. Provide his DD214 and then birth certificates.. which I assume would be my fathers and then mine. To show lineage. But I didn’t need that. She said if they get audited by the government they have to have that. 

Message 13 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, ama050 and Gsogirl.  Very encouraging. I will call today.

FYI, NFCU CR card currrently offering $100 cash back for $500 spent within 90 days of opening account. 

Enjoy all the benefits of our most popular credit card. Plus, when you spend just $500 within 90 days of opening your new card, you'll get $100 back.

Offer valid for accounts applied for from 3/1/18 to 4/30/18.

-----------------------------------------

EDIT:  (Two hours later)  Boom! Done. ...Savings and Checking accounts opened. ...Then transferred to rep for CC application.  Approved for Cash Rewards CC.  (Not a high limit, compared to how people were raving in the reviews at NFCU site about getting unexpectedly high CLs, but over $1000--still better than my current piddly $500 secured and $300 Cap One cards.)

So, the rep was amazingly sweet.  

Indeed, she didn't want service person's name at all.  Just asked for branch of service and that they were honorably discharged, though no proof of anything is apparently required.  (I was ready to give my dad's info. He was Navy reservist who never even had to serve, as far as I know. But I had a service # for him, and a discharge date.)

Asked for my DOB, SSN, address, phone, driver's license number, employer name and my job title. 

Need to give credit card or other source to pay $5 share fee, for basic membership. 

Message 14 of 44
bobbigirl83
Established Member

@Anonymouswrote:

Thank you, ama050 and Gsogirl.  Very encouraging. I will call today.

FYI, NFCU CR card currrently offering $100 cash back for $500 spent within 90 days of opening account. 

Enjoy all the benefits of our most popular credit card. Plus, when you spend just $500 within 90 days of opening your new card, you'll get $100 back.

Offer valid for accounts applied for from 3/1/18 to 4/30/18.

-----------------------------------------

SWEET!  I apped 03/02  and the card arrived today.  Time to spend!!

March 2018: EX 677 -> 696 -> 691/ TU 694 -> 703 -> 712/ EQ 650 -> 684 -> 691

GROW LITTLE SCORES, GROW!
Message 15 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

P. S. I should add that the fine print--and what the rep also stated when I applied--is that NFCU has the right to tap other accounts you may have with them, in order to pay off a delinquent CC you hold with them.

Security Interest Specific for CreditCards. You acknowledge and pledge, specifically as a condition of your use of the credit card, that you have voluntarily granted Navy Federal a security interest in all of your individual and joint share accounts at Navy Federal. If your credit card loan becomes delinquent, this security interest may be used without further notice to pay all or part of such delinquency. This security interest does not apply to shares in an Individual Retirement Account (IRA).

You don't HAVE to open a checking account with them. So you don't have to have this exposure, beyond the $5 Share membership.

Message 16 of 44
bobbigirl83
Established Member

@Anonymouswrote:

P. S. I should add that the fine print--and what the rep also stated when I applied--is that NFCU has the right to tap other accounts you may have with them, in order to pay off a delinquent CC you hold with them.

Security Interest Specific for CreditCards. You acknowledge and pledge, specifically as a condition of your use of the credit card, that you have voluntarily granted Navy Federal a security interest in all of your individual and joint share accounts at Navy Federal. If your credit card loan becomes delinquent, this security interest may be used without further notice to pay all or part of such delinquency. This security interest does not apply to shares in an Individual Retirement Account (IRA).

You don't HAVE to open a checking account with them. So you don't have to have this exposure, beyond the $5 Share membership.

I echo this.  I don't plan on moving any of my banking to NFCU, not because of this fine print but because their banking products aren't competitive at all.

I have an acct with PenFed,  but only have $5 in a share account.  I'll transfer a few dollars here and there to avoid any inactive fees, but I don't plan on doing anything with them until they come at me with solid preapprovals.

My banking will continue to be done via Ally and Alliant.

Thus far, out of Alliant, Penfed, and NFCU ... Alliant has impressed me the most.  I am going to continue courting NFCU and hope they will evetually show love in return.

March 2018: EX 677 -> 696 -> 691/ TU 694 -> 703 -> 712/ EQ 650 -> 684 -> 691

GROW LITTLE SCORES, GROW!
Message 17 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

A security interest clause is standard for situations where you have a checking/savings account and a credit product with the same bank. 

Message 18 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bella. Good to know. ...Yes, I assumed it might be business-as-usual. But for an amateur like me, this is the first time I have had a credit instrument along with the usual accounts at a bank.  Smiley Tongue

Message 19 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to join through my mom who was in the Air Force years ago and passed away years ago as well.  They just went by my affiliation to her being in the armed forces.  

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.