cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying to NFCU through deceased family member?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying to NFCU through deceased family member?

I may actually see about opening up savings account there to start with. I pass their headquarters every day and I have a deceased grandfather that was in the national guard and one uncle that was a marine. I hear they have great savings programs.
Message 21 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have good chances.  I applied 2 months ago and they did not ask me for documentation over the phone or since I applied.

Message 22 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Thank you, ama050 and Gsogirl.  Very encouraging. I will call today.

FYI, NFCU CR card currrently offering $100 cash back for $500 spent within 90 days of opening account. 

Enjoy all the benefits of our most popular credit card. Plus, when you spend just $500 within 90 days of opening your new card, you'll get $100 back.

Offer valid for accounts applied for from 3/1/18 to 4/30/18.

-----------------------------------------

EDIT:  (Two hours later)  Boom! Done. ...Savings and Checking accounts opened. ..does NFCU do hard pulls for checking, savings or membership?.Then transferred to rep for CC application.  Approved for Cash Rewards CC.  (Not a high limit, compared to how people were raving in the reviews at NFCU site about getting unexpectedly high CLs, but over $1000--still better than my current piddly $500 secured and $300 Cap One cards.)

So, the rep was amazingly sweet.  

Indeed, she didn't want service person's name at all.  Just asked for branch of service and that they were honorably discharged, though no proof of anything is apparently required.  (I was ready to give my dad's info. He was Navy reservist who never even had to serve, as far as I know. But I had a service # for him, and a discharge date.)

Asked for my DOB, SSN, address, phone, driver's license number, employer name and my job title. 

Need to give credit card or other source to pay $5 share fee, for basic membership. 

Message 23 of 44
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

That's interesting that none of you were being asked to provide a copy of the DD-214.  My understanding is you can open an account without the form and that your membership will either be approved, or be put into pending status.  If you're membership is approved, you have 65 days to submit the DD-214 or the account will be closed.  If your membership is put into pending, you only get 30 days to provide it before the account is closed.

Message 24 of 44
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

That's interesting that none of you were being asked to provide a copy of the DD-214.  My understanding is you can open an account without the form and that your membership will either be approved, or be put into pending status.  If you're membership is approved, you have 65 days to submit the DD-214 or the account will be closed.  If your membership is put into pending, you only get 30 days to provide it before the account is closed.

I don't think this is true at all. They "may" ask for documentation but I do not think that is correct at all. I have had my accounts well over 30 days  it was pending at first, and have never been asked to document anything. My deceased father and my son are former military so I can provide if requested.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 25 of 44
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I don't think this is true at all. They "may" ask for documentation but I do not think that is correct at all. I have had my accounts well over 30 days  it was pending at first, and have never been asked to document anything. My deceased father and my son are former military so I can provide if requested.

This is what I was told by NFCU yesterday. They even put me on hold to double check if it can be something else other than a DD-214. I didnt sign up because requesting a new DD-214 can take more than 65 days.

Message 26 of 44
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Hmmm I have never seen or heard this happening before. I guess if they request I can comply I have access to my son's Dd-214 but requested my father's just in case and they sent me a "seal"marked letter of his service but stated they couldn't send the DD 214 because records prior to 1973 were destroyed in a fire in case anyone runs into this problem.

I will comply but kinda confused because I specifically asked them and they stated it was NOT required for membership but they "could" ask in the down the road.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 27 of 44
jlitnns
Established Contributor

I opened my account in December and have never been asked to provide any documentation. I have 2 CC's, CLOC and auto loan in less than 5 months. Great experience so far!

Robot Very Happy

Message 28 of 44
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@jlitnns wrote:

I opened my account in December and have never been asked to provide any documentation. I have 2 CC's, CLOC and auto loan in less than 5 months. Great experience so far!

Robot Very Happy

I might just go ahead and open it then.

Message 29 of 44
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Went ahead and opened an account. This time around, they didn't mention the DD-214. Also applied for the Cash Rewards and was approved

Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.