cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying to NFCU through deceased family member?

tag
jlitnns
Established Contributor

Re: Applying to NFCU through deceased family member?

Congratulations! Robot Very Happy

Message 31 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well...this thread piqued my interest so I decided to join NFCU.  I called and a pleasant CSR took all the relevant information, then informed me of my Access Number, temporary user name, and temporary password.  As she was wrapping up I accidentally hit a button on my laptop (I was using Google Hangouts to call from my laptop) and disconnected the call.  Not wanting to appear rude I called back, and another CSR looked over my account and said everything appeared good to go.  Then she said I will receive a paper application in the mail to fill out and return to them. Is that standard procedure for a phone application?

I've logged in to the account and changed my username and password but before I start transferring more than just the minimum deposit I'd like to know if the app process is complete.  I don't plan on applying for any credit products right now; just maintain a savings account for the next few months.

Message 32 of 44
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well...this thread piqued my interest so I decided to join NFCU.  I called and a pleasant CSR took all the relevant information, then informed me of my Access Number, temporary user name, and temporary password.  As she was wrapping up I accidentally hit a button on my laptop (I was using Google Hangouts to call from my laptop) and disconnected the call.  Not wanting to appear rude I called back, and another CSR looked over my account and said everything appeared good to go.  Then she said I will receive a paper application in the mail to fill out and return to them. Is that standard procedure for a phone application?

I've logged in to the account and changed my username and password but before I start transferring more than just the minimum deposit I'd like to know if the app process is complete.  I don't plan on applying for any credit products right now; just maintain a savings account for the next few months.

I never had to fill out a paper application? I did have to send back the "signature" sheet that they mailed to me.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 33 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks...perhaps the CSR was referring to the signature card when she mentioned a paper application.

wrote: 

I never had to fill out a paper application? I did have to send back the "signature" sheet that they mailed to me.

Message 34 of 44
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thats probably it, there is the signature card and benificiary information to be filled out.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 35 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another question Smiley Happy How long  before I get some official confirmation of membership like a welcom email or welcome package in the mail?  I'm reluctant to make any financial moves without such confirmation.  Thanks.

Message 36 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never mind; got the answer to my question Smiley Very Happy

Received a "Welcome to the Navy Federal Family" email about a minute ago so I feel much more comfortable about initiating financial transactions now.

Message 37 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump.

I read the entire thread. So now that it's about a year later did anyone have to provide proof of being a descendant after getting in with them?

All I have is a name, SS# and enlist date from 1941.

I even did a free trial with Ancestory just to see if I could dig anything up on there but only got the enlist date. lol

Message 38 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://www.va.gov/records/get-military-service-records/

Screenshot_20190324-221201_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20190324-221227_Chrome.jpg

I would try to get a copy of a DD-214 if you can.

It isn't strictly required to open an account with NFCU but IMO good to have documentation if your account gets selected for audit. 

Message 39 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

After reading this post, I was curious and called NFCU.  I asked them what documentation is needed to open an account since my father is not a member but served in the Navy I wanted to know what documents get from him since he lives in another state.  She said I can do it over the phone now or just stop by a branch and deposit 5.00 in the savings account and I will be a member. 

All I need to bring is a photo id and a 2nd form verifying my address (utility bill, mortgage statement, paystub).

Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.