cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying to NFCU through deceased family member?

tag
bobbigirl83
Established Member

Applying to NFCU through deceased family member?

I am eligible to join NFCU through my grandfather who served in the Navy for 9 years. Unfortunately he passed away last year so I cannot have him join and I don't believe he was ever a member.

I submitted a membership application over the phone earlier today, but I am wondering about the chances of them coming back and asking for additional documentation. I had several pieces of imformation about him ready to provide, but she didn't even ask his name.

I am only concerned because I am not certain I will be able to obtain his DD214. My father (his son) passed away a few years ago and my aunt (his daughter) and I are not on speaking terms.

However, my maiden name is the same as his last name and I am listed in his obituary and I have other things I can provide.

Thoughts on my chances?

March 2018: EX 677 -> 696 -> 691/ TU 694 -> 703 -> 712/ EQ 650 -> 684 -> 691

GROW LITTLE SCORES, GROW!
Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
jlitnns
Established Contributor

Re: Applying to NFCU through deceased family member?

@bobbigirl83wrote:
I am eligible to join NFCU through my grandfather who served in the Navy for 9 years. Unfortunately he passed away last year so I cannot have him join and I don't believe he was ever a member.

I submitted a membership application over the phone earlier today, but I am wondering about the chances of them coming back and asking for additional documentation. I had several pieces of imformation about him ready to provide, but she didn't even ask his name.

I am only concerned because I am not certain I will be able to obtain his DD214. My father (his son) passed away a few years ago and my aunt (his daughter) and I are not on speaking terms.

However, my maiden name is the same as his last name and I am listed in his obituary and I have other things I can provide.

Thoughts on my chances?

I had no problem joining at the end of December. My grandfather passed away in Feb 2017. I joined and they didn't ask any info. I don't have any of his military info readily available. I've since added a CLOC, cashRewards card and yesterday just got approved for an auto-refi.

Good luck! 

Robot Very Happy

Message 2 of 44
bobbigirl83
Established Member

Is it a good sign that I was able to log in to online banking or is that automatically set up even before approval?

March 2018: EX 677 -> 696 -> 691/ TU 694 -> 703 -> 712/ EQ 650 -> 684 -> 691

GROW LITTLE SCORES, GROW!
Message 3 of 44
Miner
Frequent Contributor

I was curious about this as well. My grandfather served in the Navy in WWI and my father in the Navy reserves in the 50's. Both deceased and my father's second wife has recently downsized and moved into a small place and didn't keep any of his stuff.

I have two branches of NFCU in my area and have been thinking of switching credit unions as mine isn't what it use to be when I joined 20years ago. So I was wondering what sort of paperwork I'd have to try requesting from the government to join. So do I really not need anything?
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 4 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a Veteran. I joined with a share account online two weeks ago. Aplied for and received their cash rewards card a few days later. I went in to my local branch yesterday and opened a checking account and a CD. No one ever asked for any proof of my Vet status. 

Message 5 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just applied and the rep said that documentation might be needed. She didn’t ask for my grandfathers name or anything. She also checked to see if I was eligible since I work for the VA. (I’m not, cause the VA and DoD aren’t the same)

She mentioned that they might need those documents in regards to an audit that they get by the government.. so they might need them, just not now.
Message 6 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

My maternal grandfather (1930's until 1960 - he was a "China Marine" and served in World War II), and adoptive father (Marine aviator in the early 1960's, F-8 Crusader pilot), now both deceased, served in the Marine Corps. My stepfather is a retired Army major. Would that be sufficient for me to apply to NFCU?

Message 7 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they served, you’re eligible. NFCU says even adoptive children are eligible. It’s on their website.
Message 8 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well? How did it go? You in?

If it is that easy, I'm callin' them tomorrow to join with just my grandfather's name!

Message 9 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Well? How did it go? You in?

If it is that easy, I'm callin' them tomorrow to join with just my grandfather's name!

-looks around- me?

I applied and got in over the phone. I also applied for their cash rewards and was approved! They’re apparently better for rebuilders than Penfed (which I found out through several denials/recons with Penfed.. and two HP 🙄) so far only 1 HP from TU with NFCU but I’ll see tomorrow if they report another HP (as I heard they don’t piggy back like Penfed). 

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.