Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying to NFCU!

tag
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Applying to NFCU!

Hey Guys,
I have a couple of questions about applying to NFCU. I'm eligible through my grandfather. He is deceased, but served in the Navy in WWII.
My first question is about his DD214. I visited the National Archives website already, I found that his would be archived, due to age. Many were destroyed in a fire in the 70's. They are usually able to reconstruct them through other documents.
Anyone done this? How long should I expect? Weeks, months? Will they release to a grandson who shares same last name?
The second question is about the application. I have to call in since he is deceased. I'm a blind individual. Will I have to send, or fax over my identification? I just want to be somewhat prepared for the process when I call.
Thank you for any information you guys can provide. I want to start with Savings and possibly the Go. Don’t think I’ll apply without DD214 in hand... it would be my luck to be asked for it. ☺️     

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying to NFCU!

I got in through my father. They asked for his branch of service, rank and name.   Nothng else. I am was worried that that they would think I was a Vietnam draft dodger due my age.  I was very lucky with a high number at the very end.   I think I had to send a copy of my id but can't recall either way. If I did it was just a photo from my I phone

Message 2 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great question Blind. Hope it all works out for you. Navy is great in many parts thanks to people like your grandfatherSmiley Happy.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

i got in back in august. my grandfather served in WW2 and died in 1970. the only asked me what branch he served in when i called. i was still prepared with his SS#, DOB, and dates of service which i was able to easily found online though they never asked me for that info. super nice on the phone and was very easy. i love navy, they have been great so far!

Message 4 of 9
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Great question Blind. Hope it all works out for you. Navy is great in many parts thanks to people like your grandfatherSmiley Happy.

Thanks AJC! Very proud of him, and all our servicemen, and servicewomen.

Message 5 of 9
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i got in back in august. my grandfather served in WW2 and died in 1970. the only asked me what branch he served in when i called. i was still prepared with his SS#, DOB, and dates of service which i was able to easily found online though they never asked me for that info. super nice on the phone and was very easy. i love navy, they have been great so far!

Thanks for your experience. I have also found many things, enlistment date, discharge, service#. Pretty amazing.

Message 6 of 9
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got in through my father. They asked for his branch of service, rank and name.   Nothng else. I am was worried that that they would think I was a Vietnam draft dodger due my age.  I was very lucky with a high number at the very end.   I think I had to send a copy of my id but can't recall either way. If I did it was just a photo from my I phone

Thanks for the comment on what to expect.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don’t be shy. Call navy right now. If they need additional info they will let you know. They are there 24 hours a day and are super nice. I’ve called them at 3am before and they are still as nice. Haha
Message 8 of 9
brandon1767
Established Member

Just applied a few weeks ago. They asked for name and branch of service (for my grandfather). The account was setup instantly over the phone, no HP. I recieved a signature form a week later that I sent back. Good luck! I don't think it should be a problem.

Banking with: Ally Bank (Savings), NFCU (Credit), and US Bank (Biz and Personal Checking)
Started August 2018 (No Credit History)
FICO 8 (11/01/2021): EX 791, TU 800 | FICO 9 (11/01/2021): EQ 821
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.