cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are any other banks out there good to you like NFCU is?

tag
Twitchrdrm
Regular Contributor

Are any other banks out there good to you like NFCU is?

I ask because I'm about to move to the Philadelphia area and there are not many NFCU's there like there are here in VA.

It looks like my options include: TD Bank, Citizens, Chase, PNC, Santander, Wells Fargo, and BOA.

I plan on keeping NFCU and establishing a relationship w/ one of those banks so I can have an inperson bank if needed which at times is helpful (i.e. you need an official bank check, or notary). Perhaps one that might give me a CC limit that can grow w/ usage?

Suggestions?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Are any other banks out there good to you like NFCU is?

@Twitchrdrm wrote:

I ask because I'm about to move to the Philadelphia area and there are not many NFCU's there like there are here in VA.

It looks like my options include: TD Bank, Citizens, Chase, PNC, Santander, Wells Fargo, and BOA.

I plan on keeping NFCU and establishing a relationship w/ one of those banks so I can have an inperson bank if needed which at times is helpful (i.e. you need an official bank check, or notary). Perhaps one that might give me a CC limit that can grow w/ usage?

Suggestions?

Last year I switched from BofA to TDBank and couldn't be happier.  If your monthly direct deposit capabilities are high enough (I think it is something like $5,000) their "Beyond Checking" account is fee free has lots of perks like free wire transfers (which I have taken advantage of).  I also have their TDCash credit card with a credit limit which is more than sufficient for my monthly needs so I've never asked for a CLI (and have no plans to do so).  Finally, their consolidated app and Web interface is nice and makes transferring money between accounts and paying the credit card from my checking account a snap.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Twitchrdrm wrote:

Suggestions?

Last year I switched from BofA to TDBank and couldn't be happier.  If your monthly direct deposit capabilities are high enough (I think it is something like $5,000) their "Beyond Checking" account is fee free has lots of perks like free wire transfers (which I have taken advantage of).  I also have their TDCash credit card with a credit limit which is more than sufficient for my monthly needs so I've never asked for a CLI (and have no plans to do so).  Finally, their consolidated app and Web interface is nice and makes transferring money between accounts and paying the credit card from my checking account a snap.

If you actually need in person banking, then TD has the advantage of extended opening hours, including Sunday.   But I would choose the most basic checking account that is free, and move money in there only when needed.    For all other purposes I use an internet bank that pays a lot more (in my case currently Paramount Bank which pays 0.85%, which is "massive" only compared with the rest!)

Message 3 of 7
Roger1071549
New Contributor

Op, Welcome to the Philadelphia area. I live in one of the suburbs. There are some smaller banks in the area too (not just big ones). If you dont want a big bank and want in person, I would look at some of those. Malvern Bank (of Paoli) and Haeysville Bank have a 2% checking account. Republic bank is looking to grow and put branches (they call them stores) in a lot of the bigger suburbs. Republic bank also has the same mentality (open 7 days. Good hours. Free checking options) as TD. Wsfs out of Wilmington also has been growing quickly consolidating some smaller banks. This time buying Bryn Mawr Trust. 

As for credit unions, There are 3 that have a good amount of locations. Those are Citadel, Trumark or American Heritage. All have similar offerings. 

As for larger banks, PNC in in almost every town as is Wells. Citizens and TD have been closing branches so sometimes it might be a bit of a drive (if you need a branch). Santander is also here, but they are also closing branches quickly.  

As for where I bank, I use Meridian. They are going the "Branch-lite" model. Better rates and offerings. 

Depending on where you are, you will get different options. Most will fit most basic banking needs. If I knew what was most important, I could help you further. 

Message 4 of 7
creditfan
Established Contributor

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're looking for low refinance rates for a car I would say DCU beats most banks with their rates.   I got my mother in with them (Open membership) and they gave her a 2.49 rate that beat Honda credit's rate.

@Twitchrdrm wrote:

Suggestions?

Message 6 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Twitchrdrm wrote:

Suggestions?

Stay away from Santander.

I would pass on all of these with the possible exception of PNC.  BoA/Chase/Wells Fargo are overkill for your needs, Citizens doesn't have a no-strings-attached free checking account (must have 1 deposit/month to avoid a fee) and my own personal experience is that TDBank should not be viewed as a long-term solution.  PNC also has a couple of decent CC for which there are multiple reports here of CLI successes and I know that their Cash Rewards card can reach at least $30K, which checks off your other box. I'm not a huge fan of their Virtual Wallet but it does have no mininum balance,  is fee-free, and they do reimburse fees from using non-PNC ATMs.

You should also look at local/smaller regional banks that manage in the order of $5-$50 billion in assets.   Some of them likely offer no-strings-attached free checking accounts that require minimal balances, certainly no more than $100.  You can start by looking for who has branches in the town you're relocating to.

I think a better solution for you may be a FDIC-member bank that focuses on the metro Philadelphia or eastern Pennsylvania/southwestern New Jersey market that manages somewhere around $5-$50 billion in deposits and which offers a n-.  Start with looking at which banks offer brick-and-mortar branches in the town you're relocating to and see which ones have offer a free checking account with a comparatively low mininum balance requirement, no more than $100.  I wouldn't consider credit cad

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.