Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCU Relationship prior to REFI?

tag
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

BCU Relationship prior to REFI?

Evening all hope your day is going swimingly

I joined Baxter CU last month and have tried to put some money into my checking account there. Have put ~1500 in and tried to give them some small debit swipes. I hope to make them my main bank while still maintaining my chase relationship. They offer a free TU score with offers similar to credit journey but the offers they show seem to be much more directed and solid than CJ. I have a student loan out with Disco currently for this year of college at 10% interest. I have no cosigner and the loan is all on me, hence the high interest rate. I would love to refinance my loan with BCU early next year when I begin making payments. Also been considering opening their cash rewards CC as a relationship builder/non cat soend card. This is my first CU and I am a bit curious if activity/cc accounts and the like would benifit me in my approval for the loan refinance or if sinply having the account open for a year will do the same. Any insight is much appreicated!

Affinity Cash Rewards: 15,000
Amex BCP: 30,000
Amex Platinum
BCU Cash Rewards: 18,000
Discover it: 14,700
TJX Mastercard: 2,500
Venmo: 10,000
>>23k student loan-payed off
Ficos 8's ~790
Inq: EX:1 EQ:1 TU:1
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

Re: BCU Relationship prior to REFI?

I'm here to say I'm semi-jealous of your BCU membership. I would be earning sooo much interest with there checking account. But I have NFCU and there exceptional as well.

Message 2 of 8
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

@TheFIGuy wrote:

I'm here to say I'm semi-jealous of your BCU membership. I would be earning sooo much interest with there checking account. But I have NFCU and there exceptional as well.

Thank you thank you haha. Currently being between jobs i havent hit the requirements for the intererest yet but i will this month! So thatll be nice. I am also jealous of your NFCU membership! So it goes both ways

Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 3 of 8
creditfan
Established Contributor

@TheFIGuy wrote:

if you think about earning high % from checking, and you're not qualify for BCU

try this https://www.doctorofcredit.com/tn-ms-ar-orion-federal-credit-union-premium-checking-4-apy-on-balance...

I'm recently learned about BCU and joined as well

thanks for this forum

Message 4 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

What loan are we talking about?

Some CU's do offer rate discounts (DCU for example on auto loans) for certain actions like direct deposit not sure if BCU does or not but is unlikely if we are talking mortgages for example.

        
Message 5 of 8
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

What loan are we talking about?

Some CU's do offer rate discounts (DCU for example on auto loans) for certain actions like direct deposit not sure if BCU does or not but is unlikely if we are talking mortgages for example.

My student loan. I suppose i should have been more detailed lol. I would post a screenahot if i could but their app says no. If i go into the offers section it shows my current student loan, my 10% interest rate and offers to refinance the loan through them. Im getting offers for ~4.5% which would be great. I just was not sure if BCU/ CU's in general would be much more willing to approve if i had lots of activity in my account/had a cc and the like

Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 6 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Qualified maybe but I think student loan refinancing is often one of those can't miss things.  They are basically guaranteed repayment unless the borrower literally dies with no money to my knowledge if not in some loan forgiveness plan currently.

If I had to make a SWAG I would say it is probably irrelevant just by the nature of SL's.

Cutting your APR in half though is huge and smart too.

        
Message 7 of 8
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Rev! Much appreciated 😊

Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.