Did you mean: 

BECU Eligibility Question

tag
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: BECU Eligibility Question

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

I'm a WA State resident and could join but after joining Inspirus and comparing, they are better than BECU in every area.

2% CB Visa, lower Interest rate then BECU and the first $500 in savings & checking pays 2% more in Interest.

If you're a WA State resident check out Inspirus prior to joining BECU and compare.. 

CHEERS  AAAthumbs_up_smiley.gif

You could be a member of both.  BECU checking and savings (first 500 ea just like Inspirus) rates are still one of the best in the nation.  I've got a half dozen CUs I am a member of just for the good savings rates.

Very true..

I considered it but I have checking & savings with NFCU and PenFed now Inspirus and.... My original Bank of 12 years, Wells Fargo. 

I plan to move everything from WF to Inspirus eventually. My only hesitation is; there are no branches near me so that complicates things as I'm paid the old fashioned way (check by mail) UGH! 

Anyway- Thanks.. I may join in the future after giving WF the axe. 0001Cheers.gif

Message 11 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

I considered it but I have checking & savings with NFCU and PenFed now Inspirus and.... My original Bank of 12 years, Wells Fargo. 

I plan to move everything from WF to Inspirus eventually. My only hesitation is; there are no branches near me so that complicates things as I'm paid the old fashioned way (check by mail) UGH! 

So, Inspirus is a member of the Co-Op Credit union network.

https://www.inspiruscu.org/shared-branching/

You can make deposits or withdraws from ANY credit union that is part of the network.  When I first joined DCU (on the other side of the Country) I used a local Co-Op CU to make my deposits to that account.  Now that I have ACH set up, I no longer need that option, but it is there if ever I do need it.

Message 12 of 93
creditfan
Established Contributor

@Blodreina wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A member here just joined the other day through the friends foundation thing.  He even got a CC with BECU.

I myself was thinking of joining because there is a Boeing factory in Charleston, SC.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/BECU-Visa-Approved/m-p/5460773#M576068

@Anonymous wrote:

I called BECU today, and I asked if I was to join the NW Credit Union Foundation and I lived out of state, could I still join BECU.  I was told yes.  I joined the foundation and then applied to BECU.  I was rejected.  I called BECU again this evening.  The lady I spoke with said that it was still restricted to people who live in Washington State.  I asked if she could check BECU's website where it states that membership in the foundation would suffice for membership.  She did and said it was new to her. 

She did mention that ChexSystems had flagged my social security number and mentioned my three ChexSystems inquires within 90 days (I have opened two credit unions and a bank within about 60 days). 

I imagine I was rejected due to the number of ChexSystems inquires (I have ordered a copy of my ChexSystems just in case), but this MAY be YMMV case.  I was put on hold a couple of times while she checked on some things.  The second time she came back on the line, her tone seemed as if I was wasting her time; however she did not again make any mention of living out state as a reason for being denied membership.  I would love to hear from any other MyFICO members that were able to join BECU from outside of Washington State via the NWCUF.

Thanks.

This was my experience.  I spent quite a bit of time reading their website and looking at NWCUF's website.  From everything I could gather, out of state members should be able to join by donating/joining NWCUF.  I was denied BECU membership, even after referring the customer service representative to their website.  That individual consulted their supervisor, who supposedly denied it.  At the end of the day, it seems dependent on who reviews it - since somebody shared evidence of having success.

I actually ended up sending feedback to NWCUF, informing them that BECU is not honoring their agreement to grant membership to its members.  I moved on, and I'm actually glad it didn't work out (ended up with Navy Federal Smiley Happy, who I have adored so far).  But it was frustrating because nothing in anything I could find/read said you needed NWCUF + local residence.  It was clear that NWCUF by itself is supposed to grant BECU membership.  In reality, that's not the case.

It's possible to be an out of state member

here is my way in

paid $20 for NWCUF membership

snail mail this form with hand written https://www.becu.org/~/media/Files/PDF/6803_9115.pdf?la=en

included copies of driver license, SSN and welcome email from NWCUF

mailed it out a week+ ago and received a WELCOME email from BECU yesterday

p/s: I also did online first, but didn't work out for me

Message 13 of 93
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@creditfan wrote:

@Blodreina wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A member here just joined the other day through the friends foundation thing.  He even got a CC with BECU.

I myself was thinking of joining because there is a Boeing factory in Charleston, SC.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/BECU-Visa-Approved/m-p/5460773#M576068

@Anonymous wrote:

I called BECU today, and I asked if I was to join the NW Credit Union Foundation and I lived out of state, could I still join BECU.  I was told yes.  I joined the foundation and then applied to BECU.  I was rejected.  I called BECU again this evening.  The lady I spoke with said that it was still restricted to people who live in Washington State.  I asked if she could check BECU's website where it states that membership in the foundation would suffice for membership.  She did and said it was new to her. 

She did mention that ChexSystems had flagged my social security number and mentioned my three ChexSystems inquires within 90 days (I have opened two credit unions and a bank within about 60 days). 

I imagine I was rejected due to the number of ChexSystems inquires (I have ordered a copy of my ChexSystems just in case), but this MAY be YMMV case.  I was put on hold a couple of times while she checked on some things.  The second time she came back on the line, her tone seemed as if I was wasting her time; however she did not again make any mention of living out state as a reason for being denied membership.  I would love to hear from any other MyFICO members that were able to join BECU from outside of Washington State via the NWCUF.

Thanks.

This was my experience.  I spent quite a bit of time reading their website and looking at NWCUF's website.  From everything I could gather, out of state members should be able to join by donating/joining NWCUF.  I was denied BECU membership, even after referring the customer service representative to their website.  That individual consulted their supervisor, who supposedly denied it.  At the end of the day, it seems dependent on who reviews it - since somebody shared evidence of having success.

I actually ended up sending feedback to NWCUF, informing them that BECU is not honoring their agreement to grant membership to its members.  I moved on, and I'm actually glad it didn't work out (ended up with Navy Federal Smiley Happy, who I have adored so far).  But it was frustrating because nothing in anything I could find/read said you needed NWCUF + local residence.  It was clear that NWCUF by itself is supposed to grant BECU membership.  In reality, that's not the case.

here is my way in

snail mail this form with hand written https://www.becu.org/~/media/Files/PDF/6803_9115.pdf?la=en

Wow thank you for that.

I'm going to try your method Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 14 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

here is my way in

Thanks for the information.  I wonder if applying over the phone would work also.

I ordered my ChexSystems report.  It came back clean.  It only showed several inquiries from institutions I had applied to.

When I talked to the BECU CSR, after BECU rejected my online application, she mentioned me having three ChexSystems inquiries in 90 days.  I had originally planned on waiting six months before reapplying, but would I be ok with reapplying after just 90 days?  Thoughts?

Message 15 of 93
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

here is my way in

Thanks for the information.  I wonder if applying over the phone would work also.

I ordered my ChexSystems report.  It came back clean.  It only showed several inquiries from institutions I had applied to.

When I talked to the BECU CSR, after BECU rejected my online application, she mentioned me having three ChexSystems inquiries in 90 days.  I had originally planned on waiting six months before reapplying, but would I be ok with reapplying after just 90 days?  Thoughts?

These things are delicate. I think you should just follow @creditfan's method, since it worked.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 16 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

here is my way in

These things are delicate. I think you should just follow @creditfan's method, since it worked.

Should I wait for 90 days before mailing in my application, or should I wait six months or longer.

Thanks!

Message 17 of 93
creditfan
Established Contributor

on the safe side, I think you should wait

your NWFCU valid atleast a year so wait for the next 3 months shouldn't be a problem

Message 18 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a WA State resident and could join but after joining Inspirus and comparing, they are better than BECU in every area.

I'm also a WA State resident (username a giveaway). There were a number of reasons why I chose to use BECU as my main bank that I didn't see that Inspirus offers.

First, BECU confirmed to me that if I move out of the country they have no problem keeping me as a customer. I'm Canadian and could move back one day and since the account runs no fees even if I have no minimum balance and no direct deposit (like most CU's) that means I can keep it for life no matter what I do or where I go. Nice to know!

More importantly, BECU was willing to give me a line of credit with a reasonable interest rate (8.9%) AND hook it up to my checking account as an overdraft. That means I never bounce checks, not even if I screw up balancing my check book. Instead of overdraft fees it just pulls from the line of credit and runs at a reasonable interest rate until I can fix the problem.

This let me set up all my credit cards to pay full balance on due date from my BECU account. Even if I don't have the funds to cover it'll just run on my BECU line of credit, at 8.9%, which is pretty reasonable. Much better than running credit card interest or risking a returned paymetn to a card and resulting FICO problems. Big peace of mind for me in that.

I had looked at a number of places and all of them either didn't have line of credit, didn't have them at a reasonable interest rate, or wouldn't let me hook them up to automatically pull from the checking account.

So just a call-out on what it was that swung me to being a BECU customer for pretty much all my banking. I don't use their CC and I keep most of my cash savings at a linked high interest savings account (Marcus) but for day to day banking I never found anything better.

Message 19 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow this is a serious pro move right here! Thank you for sharing, I will for sure set this up too. I haven't overdrawn for years, but occasionally I forget to pay my CCs in full and have like a 25 dollar statement that drives me crazy. But NO MORE!
Message 20 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.