BECU Eligibility Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BECU Eligibility Question

@creditfan wrote:

@Blodreina wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A member here just joined the other day through the friends foundation thing.  He even got a CC with BECU.

I myself was thinking of joining because there is a Boeing factory in Charleston, SC.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/BECU-Visa-Approved/m-p/5460773#M576068

@Anonymous wrote:

I called BECU today, and I asked if I was to join the NW Credit Union Foundation and I lived out of state, could I still join BECU.  I was told yes.  I joined the foundation and then applied to BECU.  I was rejected.  I called BECU again this evening.  The lady I spoke with said that it was still restricted to people who live in Washington State.  I asked if she could check BECU's website where it states that membership in the foundation would suffice for membership.  She did and said it was new to her. 

She did mention that ChexSystems had flagged my social security number and mentioned my three ChexSystems inquires within 90 days (I have opened two credit unions and a bank within about 60 days). 

I imagine I was rejected due to the number of ChexSystems inquires (I have ordered a copy of my ChexSystems just in case), but this MAY be YMMV case.  I was put on hold a couple of times while she checked on some things.  The second time she came back on the line, her tone seemed as if I was wasting her time; however she did not again make any mention of living out state as a reason for being denied membership.  I would love to hear from any other MyFICO members that were able to join BECU from outside of Washington State via the NWCUF.

Thanks.

This was my experience.  I spent quite a bit of time reading their website and looking at NWCUF's website.  From everything I could gather, out of state members should be able to join by donating/joining NWCUF.  I was denied BECU membership, even after referring the customer service representative to their website.  That individual consulted their supervisor, who supposedly denied it.  At the end of the day, it seems dependent on who reviews it - since somebody shared evidence of having success.

I actually ended up sending feedback to NWCUF, informing them that BECU is not honoring their agreement to grant membership to its members.  I moved on, and I'm actually glad it didn't work out (ended up with Navy Federal Smiley Happy, who I have adored so far).  But it was frustrating because nothing in anything I could find/read said you needed NWCUF + local residence.  It was clear that NWCUF by itself is supposed to grant BECU membership.  In reality, that's not the case.

It's possible to be an out of state member

here is my way in

paid $20 for NWCUF membership

snail mail this form with hand written https://www.becu.org/~/media/Files/PDF/6803_9115.pdf?la=en

included copies of driver license, SSN and welcome email from NWCUF

mailed it out a week+ ago and received a WELCOME email from BECU yesterday

p/s: I also did online first, but didn't work out for me

I'm going to give BECU a shot myself.

Utah resident. Joined the NWCUF earlier today for $20. Thawed Chex and TU for a week. My Chex report had 3 inquiries on it. 2 from Discover Bank and 1 from Alliant all in September and October. Chex score 654 on 100-899 scale. I hope they aren't too Chex sensitive. TU 08 is at 694.

Off to get some stamps and drop the app in the mail along with requests for 7 other consumer reports. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Message 21 of 93
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

here is my way in

snail mail this form with hand written https://www.becu.org/~/media/Files/PDF/6803_9115.pdf?la=en

I tried your method.

3 weeks later, I'm still waiting to hear from them Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 22 of 93
creditfan
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

here is my way in

I tried your method.

sorry for its not working out the way you wanted

I sent my nail mail on 01/23 and got a welcome email on 02/01

here is another DP from DOC's reader

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/wa-becu-100-referral-checking-bonus-parties-no-direct-deposit-require...

some said they're chex sensitives

Message 23 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any luck opening up a BECU checking & savings account for a non-washington state resident. did you also apply for their credit cards?

Message 24 of 93
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@creditfan wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

here is my way in

I tried your method.

sorry for its not working out the way you wanted

I sent my nail mail on 01/23 and got a welcome email on 02/01

here is another DP from DOC's reader

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/wa-becu-100-referral-checking-bonus-parties-no-direct-deposit-require...

some said they're chex sensitives

You hit it on the head. I got turned down because of their Chex report. Not that I can figure out why Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 25 of 93
creditfan
Established Contributor

I believe your donation is valid for a year, so you can apply again whenever you're comfortable with

Message 26 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

BECU.JPG

The snail mail technique worked for me.

Thanks for the tip creditfan!

Message 27 of 93
dbw79
Regular Contributor

Nicely done. Other than pulling Chex, did you take a hp on TU to join?

Message 28 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

No alerts from CK about any hard pulls and my report just updated today.

The info I could find about them says they soft pull TU along with chex. 

Message 29 of 93
dbw79
Regular Contributor

Thanks again and congrats!

Message 30 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.