Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BECU Eligibility Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BECU Eligibility Question

According to the BECU website if you are a member of the NW Credit Union Foundation you can join BECU.

However this thread on MyFICO relates that you MUST still live in Washington State.  However that thread references the Museum of Flight, but makes no mention of NW Credit Union Foundation.

Does anyone know if BECU is still geo-restricted to Washington State?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 93
92 REPLIES 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BECU Eligibility Question

As stated in that thread, you MUST live, work, attend school or worship in the State of Washington (and certian parts of Oregon and Idaho) to join. 

Because BECU is a state-chartered credit union, they are largely geographical in nature. Yes, there are other state-chartered credit unions that allow for out-of-state members; but BECU is not one of them.

I don't blame you for asking; I would love to join as well. BECU is probably one of the best credit unions in the country (and the 4th largest).  

Message 2 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

A member here just joined the other day through the friends foundation thing.  He even got a CC with BECU.

I myself was thinking of joining because there is a Boeing factory in Charleston, SC.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/BECU-Visa-Approved/m-p/5460773#M576068

Message 3 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

A member here just joined the other day through the friends foundation thing.  He even got a CC with BECU.

I myself was thinking of joining because there is a Boeing factory in Charleston, SC.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/BECU-Visa-Approved/m-p/5460773#M576068

That’s interesting. I wonder if that’s something new? When I looked at the largest credit unions in the country, I came across BECU and saw they had a solid geo fence as well but I guess when it comes to CUs, you should always call and see if there’s a path to membership they don’t openly disclose. 

There are even some CUs here in Colorado I can’t get into but most of them don’t have very exciting products anyway (most of our CUs have ScoreCard rewards programs which are ridiculously low return rate) other than Bellco and I burned them for like $1600 so I’m barred unless I pay them back one day. 

Message 4 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the link to the data point!  Credit Unions seem to open up and close down membership eligibility.  I was hoping the had opened it up a bit, and it looks like they have.

Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called BECU today, and I asked if I was to join the NW Credit Union Foundation and I lived out of state, could I still join BECU.  I was told yes.  I joined the foundation and then applied to BECU.  I was rejected.  I called BECU again this evening.  The lady I spoke with said that it was still restricted to people who live in Washington State.  I asked if she could check BECU's website where it states that membership in the foundation would suffice for membership.  She did and said it was new to her. 

She did mention that ChexSystems had flagged my social security number and mentioned my three ChexSystems inquires within 90 days (I have opened two credit unions and a bank within about 60 days). 

I imagine I was rejected due to the number of ChexSystems inquires (I have ordered a copy of my ChexSystems just in case), but this MAY be YMMV case.  I was put on hold a couple of times while she checked on some things.  The second time she came back on the line, her tone seemed as if I was wasting her time; however she did not again make any mention of living out state as a reason for being denied membership.  I would love to hear from any other MyFICO members that were able to join BECU from outside of Washington State via the NWCUF.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you work there you should be able to join, it is Boeing Employees Credit Union.

Message 7 of 93
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I called BECU today, and I asked if I was to join the NW Credit Union Foundation and I lived out of state, could I still join BECU.  I was told yes.  I joined the foundation and then applied to BECU.  I was rejected.  I called BECU again this evening.  The lady I spoke with said that it was still restricted to people who live in Washington State.  I asked if she could check BECU's website where it states that membership in the foundation would suffice for membership.  She did and said it was new to her. 

She did mention that ChexSystems had flagged my social security number and mentioned my three ChexSystems inquires within 90 days (I have opened two credit unions and a bank within about 60 days). 

I imagine I was rejected due to the number of ChexSystems inquires (I have ordered a copy of my ChexSystems just in case), but this MAY be YMMV case.  I was put on hold a couple of times while she checked on some things.  The second time she came back on the line, her tone seemed as if I was wasting her time; however she did not again make any mention of living out state as a reason for being denied membership.  I would love to hear from any other MyFICO members that were able to join BECU from outside of Washington State via the NWCUF.

Thanks.

This was my experience.  I spent quite a bit of time reading their website and looking at NWCUF's website.  From everything I could gather, out of state members should be able to join by donating/joining NWCUF.  I was denied BECU membership, even after referring the customer service representative to their website.  That individual consulted their supervisor, who supposedly denied it.  At the end of the day, it seems dependent on who reviews it - since somebody shared evidence of having success.

I actually ended up sending feedback to NWCUF, informing them that BECU is not honoring their agreement to grant membership to its members.  I moved on, and I'm actually glad it didn't work out (ended up with Navy Federal Smiley Happy, who I have adored so far).  But it was frustrating because nothing in anything I could find/read said you needed NWCUF + local residence.  It was clear that NWCUF by itself is supposed to grant BECU membership.  In reality, that's not the case.

Message 8 of 93
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

I'm a WA State resident and could join but after joining Inspirus and comparing, they are better than BECU in every area.

2% CB Visa, lower Interest rate then BECU and the first $500 in savings & checking pays 2% more in Interest.

If you're a WA State resident check out Inspirus prior to joining BECU and compare.. 

CHEERS  AAAthumbs_up_smiley.gif

Message 9 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

I'm a WA State resident and could join but after joining Inspirus and comparing, they are better than BECU in every area.

2% CB Visa, lower Interest rate then BECU and the first $500 in savings & checking pays 2% more in Interest.

If you're a WA State resident check out Inspirus prior to joining BECU and compare.. 

CHEERS  AAAthumbs_up_smiley.gif

You could be a member of both.  BECU checking and savings (first 500 ea just like Inspirus) rates are still one of the best in the nation.  I've got a half dozen CUs I am a member of just for the good savings rates.

Message 10 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.