Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT or no?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BT or no?

@Caardvark wrote:

I simply cannot imagine many scenarios where it would make sense NOT to balance transfer everything to the NFCU. And, the scenarios I can imagine are outliers. This is a no brainer. 

Agreed. And if you're concerned about Util, have you considered asking for a Navy CLI? Bump that 14K to 25K and you can have your cake and eat it too.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Saving interest is definitely good.

Keep in mind that depending on timing your utilization could have a very temporary spike up or down depending on timing of when balances post to new account and payments are posted to old accounts.

I believe that Chase will report to CRA’s when balance paid to zero so make sure you get to zero.

Navy Federal sends a physical check to issuers for balance transfers.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be really careful that you don’t run out the clock on the BT offer. Navy takes a few days to post them, I would probably make my mind up today or tomorrow if it was me just to make sure I didn’t end up missing the promo. 

Message 13 of 14
seruby
Frequent Contributor

I opted to transfer my CO balance over and leave the Chase Balance as is - which was the 2nd option given by SouthJamaica.   There's no difference in time payoff b/w that and transferring both over (either case would take 12 months), and it only increases my NFCU UTI to ~48% instead of 75%.   Chase is already almost under 20%.  The difference in interest is about $200, so either way still saving 1300-1500.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.