cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank account bonuses with Social Security?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank account bonuses with Social Security?

I could just pay the $3 twice with my current bank to ACH the money to US Bank. Seems very likely it would count for the SUB. I think I'm just gonna sit this bonus out though because if they offer me a card I'm gonna jump on it and mess up my garden goal. 

Message 11 of 39
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Huh, well if you're driving around for Lyft appears you could do this easily.

It's a bit suck you have to DD into a bank they partner with but they apparently allow outgoing ACH's and Bill Pay and I don't see a fee schedule with it.

Seems like an easy way to game it since you basically get paid immediately so just drive around a bit every so often, build up a little stash, and hop on the bonuses when they come up for various other FI's.  It's not enough money for me to do this right now doing two gigs, and while Lyft would be a totally acceptable social analogue even if there's no community integration thing for me, but if I wind up with a bunch of time on my hands again where bonus chasing makes sense I will probably try this route as it's easy to work into virtually any schedule on any time horizon.

        
Message 12 of 39
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I know some (not all) other banks treat ACH's as fufilling the direct deposit requirement.

Would Google for that and if money shuffling would work.  Alternatively these offers come up all the time, or maybe do something like ride share for a few weeks would be surprised if that money wasn't electronically deposited from Lyft/ Uber.

Probably a lot of ways to skin this that I'm not even thinking of to be honest.

Yes it does appear that basically any ACH counts as direct deposit for US Bank purposes, I noticed that after I made my post, but US Bank seems to be the easiest. Most don't count ACH. 

It just seems odd to say you can use Social Security to meet deposit requirements when Social Security won't update until the month after your next payment. 

I don't want to have to Zelle from 1stBank to NFCU and then ACH to US Bank and then Zelle back to 1stBank so I can pay my bills. That's a bit too much. 

Why would you need to Zelle back to 1st bank? You can use Bill pay from US Bank. That's what I do on all my bank bonuses.

Message 13 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@randomguy1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I know some (not all) other banks treat ACH's as fufilling the direct deposit requirement.

Would Google for that and if money shuffling would work.  Alternatively these offers come up all the time, or maybe do something like ride share for a few weeks would be surprised if that money wasn't electronically deposited from Lyft/ Uber.

Probably a lot of ways to skin this that I'm not even thinking of to be honest.

Yes it does appear that basically any ACH counts as direct deposit for US Bank purposes, I noticed that after I made my post, but US Bank seems to be the easiest. Most don't count ACH. 

It just seems odd to say you can use Social Security to meet deposit requirements when Social Security won't update until the month after your next payment. 

I don't want to have to Zelle from 1stBank to NFCU and then ACH to US Bank and then Zelle back to 1stBank so I can pay my bills. That's a bit too much. 

Why would you need to Zelle back to 1st bank? You can use Bill pay from US Bank. That's what I do on all my bank bonuses.

I would have to test US Bank to see if they're viable long term and in the mean time, I would continue to do the bulk of my banking through 1stBank rather than change all of my accounts to draw from a new bank account or push payments from a new account. I move deposit accounts very slowly. I opened checking accounts with both NFCU and DCU with the intention of switching to them and found things with both that were too much to deal with for me to switch. 

Message 14 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I opened checking accounts with both NFCU and DCU with the intention of switching to them and found things with both that were too much to deal with for me to switch. 

Oh boy I can relate! Been with them since 18 and it's always been a process to get Money to them the way i want to do it. Have to transfer funds from my NFCU CC to share savings so that I can put Money in my IRA and ESA, then use an outside account to pay the CC. And try to do it before they assess the interest.

So i eventually opened a checking account just this month to hopefully make that smoother/easier. Nope. I still cannot transfer from outside accounts unless i push from the outside! 

Don't get me wrong, i really like them and several of their products. But sheesh can they be slightly annoying at times, so now I've got two accounts with them that cannot transfer funds the way i want. Smiley Indifferent

Message 15 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I opened checking accounts with both NFCU and DCU with the intention of switching to them and found things with both that were too much to deal with for me to switch. 

Oh boy I can relate! Been with them since 18 and it's always been a process to get Money to them the way i want to do it. Have to transfer funds from my NFCU CC to share savings so that I can put Money in my IRA and ESA, then use an outside account to pay the CC. And try to do it before they assess the interest.

So i eventually opened a checking account just this month to hopefully make that smoother/easier. Nope. I still cannot transfer from outside accounts unless i push from the outside! 

Don't get me wrong, i really like them and several of their products. But sheesh can they be slightly annoying at times, so now I've got two accounts with them that cannot transfer funds the way i want. Smiley Indifferent

Yep that's one of the things that bothered me. I was having to write myself checks from 1stBank or use Zelle. Smiley Frustrated

DCU lets me pull to my savings and checking and I just learned yesterday that I can push for free using their P2P system but their systems are inferior and I can't ever get someone on the phone without waiting over an hour so I can't make them my primary either. 

Message 16 of 39
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

So I decided to go for this SUB and opened an account online yesterday, process fairly painless. But the confirmation email said that to enroll in online banking I'll need my new debit card # and PIN. Figure at least 2 weeks for that to arrive by snail mail, so that makes this pretty much impossible to do $2k in direct deposits within 60 days with Social Security even calling your local office to change DD more quickly then online. Even payroll would be tight for me to make the 60 days, my employer pays biweekly and uses ADP which I can change online but their policy is that the first payday for a new bank account is a printed check mailed to me while they do a pre-note to verify the account is mine. Smiley Frustrated

Fortunately according to Doctor of Credit DPs US Bank pretty much counts any ACH deposit as a direct deposit. I made just under $1500 in bank account SUBs in 2019, this one will have me at $700 already for 2020. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

So I decided to go for this SUB and opened an account online yesterday, process fairly painless. But the confirmation email said that to enroll in online banking I'll need my new debit card # and PIN. Figure at least 2 weeks for that to arrive by snail mail, so that makes this pretty much impossible to do $2k in direct deposits within 60 days with Social Security even calling your local office to change DD more quickly then online. Even payroll would be tight for me to make the 60 days, my employer pays biweekly and uses ADP which I can change online but their policy is that the first payday for a new bank account is a printed check mailed to me while they do a pre-note to verify the account is mine. Smiley Frustrated

Fortunately according to Doctor of Credit DPs US Bank pretty much counts any ACH deposit as a direct deposit. I made just under $1500 in bank account SUBs in 2019, this one will have me at $700 already for 2020. Smiley Wink

Yeah I opened an account with Alliant to use as a hub. I don't plan on going for a ton of bonuses but I might grab one or two this year. 

That online banking wait sounds very extra. I imagine quite a few people are going to get screwed out of their bonus. 

Message 18 of 39
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Both Alliant and Chase ACH pushes worked for me as recently as this month FYI. 

Message 19 of 39
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

A little bit more data:

The "DD" will show up in US bank as Electronic Deposit <lender name>  

At the beginning of your statement cycle you will get a Monthly Maintenance Fee followed by a Monthly Maintenance Fee waived ($6.95) if you meet your monthly direct deposit of $1000. 

US Bank appears to pay their bonuses in batches at the first Thursday or Friday each month. I'm expecting my bonus to be paid out at the beginning of March and opened my account at the beginning of November. 

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.