Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank account savings higher than 6.17%?

tag
IcyCool7227
Regular Contributor

Bank account savings higher than 6.17%?

Is there a bank account that pays higher than a 6.17% APY for interest? I'd like to know as I haven't seen anything. DCFU offers 6.17% but I was denied. I see some banks don't even advertise their rates like the People's Bank in southwest Georgia and you have to walk into a branch to get those rates. I'm not anywhere near Georgia but found them after looking up a radio station from Bainbridge that recently got a new stream. I'm wondering if those banks have some secret sort of high rate that I am not aware of?

As of: 3/28/24:

EQ: 785 (prev. 778 on 2/6/24; 773 on 1/26/24 & 750 on 1/7/24 & 626 on 6/7/24 & 652 in April 2023) - FICO 8
EX: 763 (prev. 755 on 2/6/24; 753 on 1/26/24 & 732 on 1/7/24 & 643 on 6/7/24 & 619 in April 2023) - FICO 8
TU: 759 (prev. 748 on 2/6/24; 744 on 1/26/24 & 689 on 1/7/24 & 6/7/24 & 654 in April 2023) - CreditKarma

Have:
- Amazon Prime Store Card: $5,000
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards: $1,200
- Chase Freedom Flex: $500
- Discover it Cashback: $2,000
- Kohl’s Charge: $3,000
- Super Cash: Limit varies based on debit balance - doesn't show up in accounts anymore though on CRs.
- Zolve: Shows up but have not set up yet as no money has been put on the account.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank account savings higher than 6.17%?

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

Is there a bank account that pays higher than a 6.17% APY for interest? I'd like to know as I haven't seen anything. DCFU offers 6.17% but I was denied. I see some banks don't even advertise their rates like the People's Bank in southwest Georgia and you have to walk into a branch to get those rates. I'm not anywhere near Georgia but found them after looking up a radio station from Bainbridge that recently got a new stream. I'm wondering if those banks have some secret sort of high rate that I am not aware of?

That 6.17% is only on the first $1K then the remaining is at 0.25%. Not bad if you have $1K to park in savings. 

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 8
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I doubt you will anything anywhere near that rate for without small limits.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

Savings interest rates that aren't promotional rates hamstrung by low limits (DCU) or excessive requirements/restrictions (a la debit card usage, etc) largely follow along with the Fed rates. Until such time as the Fed increases rates back up to the 5-6% range, which hasn't happened since the 1980s, don't expect to find such an offer except for the aforementioned promotional ones.

After all, why would a bank pay you 6% for your money with no restrictions when they can pay the Fed less than 2% for theirs?

Message 4 of 8
Green456
Established Contributor

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

Yes. Credit Union of NJ. 7.5% on High Yield Savings.

https://www.cunj.com

Message 5 of 8
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

As others have said, there are promotional rates available for a ceiling amount; such as 6.17% up to $1,000 at DCU and 7.5% up to $500.00, yes $500.00 at that New Jersey credit union mentioned above this post. After those ceilings are met, the rates are 0.25% at DCU and a mix of 0.05-0.10% depending on balance at the New Jersey credit union.

The best, ongoing rates I have seen are at Consumer's Credit Union out of Illinois' (anybody can join regardless of state) rewards checking. They pay up to 5.09% up to $10,000 but with a lot of strings attached (12 debit card purchases totaling a combined $100 each month; paperless documents; $500 direct deposit each month/billing cycle AND you have to have their credit card with $1,000 monthly purchases); otherwise, with no credit card, they will pay 3.09% up to $10,000 in savings. 

If you really want high returns you should be looking into long term CD's or even an investment account. Regular savings should really just be where you have your emergency funds are parked. With Prime Rate so low, the savings rates are low. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check DoC's list. One somewhere that's restrictive but pays 10.sumtin; what state are you in? I know a few others that are region specific.
Message 7 of 8
topgunvf
Regular Contributor

Hey all came upon the following from Goldman Sachs hope this helps:

https://www.marcus.com/us/en/savings/high-yield-savings

No fees no max @2.0%

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.