Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Advantage Plus Banking ACH Question

tag
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

Bank of America Advantage Plus Banking ACH Question

The requirements to avoid fees are the following (I draw your attention to the hightlighted area)

boa.JPG

It's been said on reddit that you can ACH $250 back and forth to avoid this fee.

However, I have only seen that one person mention this.

Can anyone confirm that making a $250 ACH back and forth each month qualifies to avoid and fees with opening this account? Its a much better option than having $1500 dead in the account.

Potential Future Cards
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Bank of America Advantage Plus Banking ACH Question

Heck if I know, but sure interested in the answer - BoA is very strict on the type of direct deposits for a bonus, but not sure about to avoid fees. I just opened a BoA checking in late March, I got the targeted email of $300 bonus for $4k in direct deposits within 90 days. I'm good until end of June on fees as it will take me that long to get $4k in payroll DDs into the account. In checking Doctor of Credit "Methods Banks Count as DDs" I see a note that an ACH from Discover savings worked for avoiding fees but not for a bonus, so may be possible.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well since my severance stops April 20th, it means I'll need to DD from somewhere starting in May. So I plan to test this DP very soon!

I sure hope so as I don't really want to close an account I've had this long. I was trying to figure out which FI to use, so as per this thread I'll try Disco first. 

I'm guessing check deposits via the app will not work either?

Message 3 of 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

DoC has a page with data collected from readers as to whether any of a number of different bank/CUs would treat ACH deposits pushed from other banks/CUs as DD.   You might want to look up that page and check.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 16
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well since my severance stops April 20th, it means I'll need to DD from somewhere starting in May. So I plan to test this DP very soon!

I sure hope so as I don't really want to close an account I've had this long. I was trying to figure out which FI to use, so as per this thread I'll try Disco first. 

@Anonymous  @Wavester64  Navy ACH will count as DD $250.

Message 5 of 16
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So just to confirm/clarify : Your saying if I dump $500 in my Navy account, and then in 2 successive bi-weeks I send $250 from that Navy account to my BOA that would qualify me for that bonus, correct?

Potential Future Cards
Message 6 of 16
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So just to confirm/clarify : Your saying if I dump $500 in my Navy account, and then in 2 successive bi-weeks I send $250 from that Navy account to my BOA that would qualify me for that bonus, correct?

Minimum one monthly ACH should suffice.

Per BoA website below for Advantage Plus Checking:

We'll waive the monthly maintenance fee each statement cycle that you:

• Have at least one qualifying direct deposit of$250+
OR
  • Maintain a $1,500 minimum daily balance
OR
  • Are enrolled in Preferred Rewards4
Message 7 of 16
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OR
OR

OK, I am going to give this a whirl. (2) $250 ACH from Navy to BOA and hopefully that qualifies me for the $100 bonus.

I gotta get something outta putting $1500 dead there and not getting the CC I wanted  Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 8 of 16
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OR
OR

Just to update for anyone following this thread - so far I have NOT gotten the bonus. BofA's site mentions in the fine print that it should be within 60-days of the 2nd deposit - 60-days will be July 25th, which is coming soon. Hopefully it still happens. I wish they had a chat or email feature to check up on this - not in the mood to call and be online for any extended amount of time just to find out the CSR doesn't know any more than I do Smiley Very Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 9 of 16
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Very recent DPs:

6/20 - Opened

7/9 - DD (legit)

7/9 - DD (legit, my consulting gig)

7/17 - Bonus post

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.