Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America put exactly $100 in our checking account

tag
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Bank of America put exactly $100 in our checking account

... and I have no reason as to why. In the short coded explanation of the deposit, it says the "merchant" is BofA. It's not a rebate or promo. If my curiousity gets the best of me, it may cost me $100 to find out. I'm figuring if I have to call them and ask about it, they will rescind their error. lol 

PS We are "blah blah platinum honors members" so we get some perks, but I don't think random cash deposits are part of that. 

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Bank of America put exactly $100 in our checking account

Interesting...when in doubt, best to call. Maybe you'll get some brownie points if an error. Now, if it was a million or two.. 😉
Message 2 of 27
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@AllZero wrote:
Interesting...when in doubt, best to call. Maybe you'll get some brownie points if an error. Now, if it was a million or two.. 😉

We're not going to miss $100 if they take it back. We would notice one million suddenly missing. Smiley Very Happy

Probably going to give it a few days, perhaps my memory with figure it out subconsciously. 

Message 3 of 27
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Turbobuick wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

We're not going to miss $100 if they take it back. We would notice one million suddenly missing. Smiley Very Happy

Probably going to give it a few days, perhaps my memory with figure it out subconsciously. 

Don't touch it, call.  We had a $5XXX.XX deposited and not by us.  My Dh went into the bank to ask what was going on.  They couldn't believe the person missing the money didn't even notice.  Call

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 4 of 27
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Forgot to mention: it was a teller transfer

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 5 of 27
tcbofade
Super Contributor

New account promo?  Credit card promo?

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 6 of 27
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Call them. I had a mistaken deposit around $100 years ago. I never noticed it and they ended up shutting down my account. Even though it was their error, they wouldn't reopen my account. I haven't even looked at BofAs way since because I wouldn't be surprised that they blacklisted me. Sad part was they got that $100 back when they closed they account without warning, so it's not like I spent it or anything fraudulent 

Message 7 of 27
outofcredit
Established Contributor

Funny, just a couple of days ago I checked my CU account to make sure my bill payments had posted.  Imagine my surprise to see $606.00 sitting an account that should have had a zero balance.  Checking the transaction report, it showed as "Funds transfer credit" with no indication of where or who the transfer came from.  I called to ask where this "gift" came from as I had made no transfers and wasn't expecting any incoming transfers.  Representative assured me that it was probably some type of bank initiated refund for overpaying on something.  Hmm, don't know what that could have been.  Long story shortened, 25 minutes later (on hold while she investigated further) I was given the name of the "sender" (actually scarily that this was divulged) and asked at least three times was I sure I didn't know this person and hadn't authorized them to bequeath me.  Ten minutes later (another hold time) she came back and told me it had all been an error, the money was put in my account by mistake.  The sender was transferring to an account that had a "very similar account number" and it was entered incorrectly.  Ok.....I won't be doing any future funds transfers myself because I'd hate for my money to end up in that other person's "similar account number."  Hung up the phone, logged back into my account and the money was transferred out already.  I was so hoping it was a bank refund for who knows whatever.Smiley Very Happy  

Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, I've learned to dance in the rain.
Message 8 of 27
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Message 9 of 27
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

If BOA closes your account it’s a blessing in disguise.
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.