cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banks and Credit Unions that are Generous Lenders - Credit Cards (CC)

tag
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

Banks and Credit Unions that are Generous Lenders - Credit Cards (CC)

This might be a stupid ask but I'm looking around for Banks and Credit Unions that are generous with Credit Card (CC) starting limits or credit lines. I understand YMMV and there are a lot of factors that are in play, but, from your personal experience who has been generous to you and what are your DP's.

NFCU — (2 CC w/15k SL) *Main Bank

EQ - 668

EX - 698

TU - 687

Sound off myFICO friends!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

Re: Banks and Credit Unions that are Generous Lenders - Credit Cards (CC)

You are already a member of, probably, the most generous lender to people with lower scores. NFCU.

As far as others go... it really is YMMV. Different lenders "like" different profiles and it's oftentimes difficult to discern which lender will like yours. That said, Discover and Amex comer to mind. Discover often gives very generous SLs and are known to grow. Amex is known for the 3x at 61 days (not everyone gets it) which can result in a very generous CL

Best of luck

Message 2 of 10
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@Caardvark wrote:

You are already a member of, probably, the most generous lender to people with lower scores. NFCU.

As far as others go... it really is YMMV. Different lenders "like" different profiles and it's oftentimes difficult to discern which lender will like yours. That said, Discover and Amex comer to mind. Discover often gives very generous SLs and are known to grow. Amex is known for the 3x at 61 days (not everyone gets it) which can result in a very generous CL

Best of luck

Thank you! Hopefully one day I can get into BofA, I see people getting MASSIVE CLI but I think they require much higher scores.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU seems to be the most consistently generous CU but from what I have seen, if you find a good local CU and start working with them, they can be incredibly generous in return. 

PenFed used to be good but they are very unpredictable these days. 

Message 4 of 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@TheFIGuy wrote:

This might be a stupid ask but I'm looking around for Banks and Credit Unions that are generous with Credit Card (CC) starting limits or credit lines. I understand YMMV and there are a lot of factors that are in play, but, from your personal experience who has been generous to you and what are your DP's.

NFCU — (2 CC w/15k SL) *Main Bank

EQ - 668

EX - 698

TU - 687

Sound off myFICO friends!

With the exception of NFCU which you already have I think you're looking in the wrong place for CCs with generous limits. I have accounts at 3 credit unions and 3 banks and I have a credit card with only one of the CUs and one of the banks, and both CCs are far from my more generous CLs, I have them for other reasons. My most generous limits are from Synchrony, $35k between 3 CCs; Capital One, also $35k between 3 CCs; Amex, $21k between 2 CCs; and Discover, one CC with $15.1 limit.

But I also wonder if you're looking for the wrong thing in 'generous limit'. For me my most important criteria is rewards. My most used card is PayPal Cashback MC from Synchrony for 2% rewards on every purchase, then BBVA Clear Points Visa for 3% & 2% categories and Amex Blue Cash Preferred for 6% on groceries and 3% gas. One of my least used cards is the one with the highest limit - Capital One Quicksilver, $20k limit but only 1.5% rewards, which doesn't cut for me anymore. Sure, I want a limit 'generous' enough that my monthly pay in full usage is preferrably under 10% of limit, absolutely under 30%, but the rewards they pay me is much more important to me than limit.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me personally, a year into rebuild.

1) Navy Federal
2) Sync Bank
3) RBFCU (Texas Only)
4) BECU
5) Penfed
6) DCU
7) SSFCU
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I totally missed the “banks” part. 

Here’s my ranking. 

1) Capital One (I know, shocking, but they’re my highest exposure and only between two accounts)

2) NFCU/Synchrony (tied for second place, 3 accounts with each)

3) Discover (my It card is my highest limit card that got there just through CLI requests and not moving limits around like I did with NFCU)

SSFCU is generous if you make a lot of money. I practically had to grovel to get their Power Cash Back Rewards WMC because of the $5K minimum SL and I got it at the maximum 18% APR. They want $50K+ customers. 

DCU is incredibly conservative and uses your EQ5 mortgage score for everything. That may actually be the first card I let go of. The $1K SL is holding down my average as I now have 3 $10K+ cards. 

Lots of people believe AMEX to be quite generous. 

Message 7 of 10
thirst305
New Contributor

To confirm what is SSFCU?  security service FCU?

Ch7 BK discharged 3/2009
Bloomies (10/99): 4k Alliant (8/10): 4k
SCEFCU Visa (9/12): 6k SCEFCU auto (9/12): 22k
Barclays Apple (10/11): 5k iTunes: 3k SLM: 15k
Amazon (8/12): 15k Walmart store (9/12): 6K
Partners (9/12): 20k CapOnex2 (1/10): 10k Discover IT (3/13): 5k
SDFCU: 20k Amex BCE: 8k
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thirst305 wrote:

To confirm what is SSFCU?  security service FCU?

Yep Security Service FCU. 

Message 9 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

One sees massive Boa limits because those indivusls have really high income or assets. Boa likes to csp most at half their income. Cmon, dude got 50k limit. Fa sha, dude probably be rockin 100k plus income lol.

Many of these banks and CUs will appear generous but in reality a high income usually helps with that generosity. Not all is absolute and i fully understand that but more often than not...Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.