Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit union !?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best credit union !?

One that is more countrywide ., not one in some town of 3 people in the boondocks in Alabama Smiley Tongue 

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Best credit union !?

@Anonymous wrote:

One that is more countrywide ., not one in some town of 3 people in the boondocks in Alabama Smiley Tongue 

I like alliant for interest rate on checking and savings account. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 23
baller4life
Super Contributor

NFCU if eligible! Penfed,NASA,DCU, which have open membership.
Message 3 of 23
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

DCU has been nothing but good to me.

Message 4 of 23
js0319
Established Contributor

If eligible, I would definitely try to NFCU. I had an NFCU account for about a year before I even set foot in a branch. They have a great network of credit unions on a co-op network, so you can still access ATM's when needed. With mobile deposit, you really don't need to visit a branch for basic transactions.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most CUs, even the larger ones, are very localized with few branches in one state or spread across a few states. The best CU for you comes down to what you are looking for. For many, the local CU can make most sense if it has good loan rates, no fee bank accounts, and the perks most people go to CUs for. CUs are less useful from a CC rewards perspective, though some CUs have good cards for specific types of spend (e.g. Pen Fed's 5% unlimited gas card). A few people also apply to CUs that are known for large CC CLs like NFCU and NASA (mixed posts on whether NASA still offers these). But even other CUs award large CLs. For example, Addison Avenue Federal Credit Union (now First Tech) issued me a 5k CL at 18 and it was up to 15k before I graduated college with zero income. While 15k is nothing special to me now, I can't imagine any major bank giving a no income college student a 15k CL. 

What are you looking for with a CU? Easy access for auto loans and the type? A banking relationship with a CU you can go to and talk to someone in person? If so, a local CU with good rates makes sense as you can go to the branch and talk to them. Or are you looking for a CU with the best CC CL, in which case something like NFCU (if you qualify) or NASA might make sense. Or do you want a CU with a specific rewards card that optimizes your reward spend? Then Pen Fed can make sense. 

For me, a CU's main purpose is as my primary bank for no fee banking and low rates for loans if I need them. I usually visit my CU before car shopping to get a specific rate to entice the dealership to beat those rates. I use my CU for most traditional banking functions because I don't get hit by surprise charges and fees. I even use my CU for 1 CC because of the low rates in the off chance I need to carry a balance for a month or two. I have rewards cards that optimize my spends and no CU rewards card I know of will improve my CC rewards optimization. The Pen Fed 5% Gas Visa card is technically better than my limited spend gas card, but I rarely go over my Sallie Mae's 5% gas spend limit. For me, a local CU makes most sense and an online CU makes less sense even though 99% of my banking is done automatically or online. For you, the answer might be different. You might even want to join 2 or more CUs based on your needs. 

TLDR: What are you looking for from a CU? Recommending one is difficult without knowing what you expect. 

Message 6 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Most CUs, even the larger ones, are very localized with few branches in one state or spread across a few states. The best CU for you comes down to what you are looking for. For many, the local CU can make most sense if it has good loan rates, no fee bank accounts, and the perks most people go to CUs for. CUs are less useful from a CC rewards perspective, though some CUs have good cards for specific types of spend (e.g. Pen Fed's 5% unlimited gas card). A few people also apply to CUs that are known for large CC CLs like NFCU and NASA (mixed posts on whether NASA still offers these). But even other CUs award large CLs. For example, Addison Avenue Federal Credit Union (now First Tech) issued me a 5k CL at 18 and it was up to 15k before I graduated college with zero income. While 15k is nothing special to me now, I can't imagine any major bank giving a no income college student a 15k CL. 

What are you looking for with a CU? Easy access for auto loans and the type? A banking relationship with a CU you can go to and talk to someone in person? If so, a local CU with good rates makes sense as you can go to the branch and talk to them. Or are you looking for a CU with the best CC CL, in which case something like NFCU (if you qualify) or NASA might make sense. Or do you want a CU with a specific rewards card that optimizes your reward spend? Then Pen Fed can make sense. 

For me, a CU's main purpose is as my primary bank for no fee banking and low rates for loans if I need them. I usually visit my CU before car shopping to get a specific rate to entice the dealership to beat those rates. I use my CU for most traditional banking functions because I don't get hit by surprise charges and fees. I even use my CU for 1 CC because of the low rates in the off chance I need to carry a balance for a month or two. I have rewards cards that optimize my spends and no CU rewards card I know of will improve my CC rewards optimization. The Pen Fed 5% Gas Visa card is technically better than my limited spend gas card, but I rarely go over my Sallie Mae's 5% gas spend limit. For me, a local CU makes most sense and an online CU makes less sense even though 99% of my banking is done automatically or online. For you, the answer might be different. You might even want to join 2 or more CUs based on your needs. 

TLDR: What are you looking for from a CU? Recommending one is difficult without knowing what you expect. 

I agree we need to know what you are looking for.   Personally, I look for CU with special credit cards (not so common but out there) as some of he other factors, such as good rates and fee-free banking are possible elsewhere.  Internet banks often have better banking features than most CUs.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:
NFCU if eligible! Penfed,NASA,DCU, which have open membership.

NFCU is proving pretty killer so far. They really want me to refi one of my cars with them. I may let them do it later on this year once I have some...drop offs.

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Curiousity question about NFCU........is it required to have a military association to get an account?  If so, my FIL is retired Air Force.  Would that qualify my DH so we could get an account there?

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Curiousity question about NFCU........is it required to have a military association to get an account?  If so, my FIL is retired Air Force.  Would that qualify my DH so we could get an account there?

Call and ask. The phone reps are super friendly the times i've called in.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.