cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best financial software for personal use

tag
WaltKelly

Best financial software for personal use

I am new here, so I hope this is the appropriate place to ask this.

I have used QuickBooks for many years for my private mediation practice. I have the last non-subscription version. I am now retired, so I don't need all the features in QB and I am switching from a PC to a Mac. I would appreciate recommendations for a good personal finance application that (a) runs on a Mac and (b) can import data from QB.

All I need is a place to balance my checking, savings, and credit card accounts. If it can handle investments, that would be a plus, but I never entered that into QB, so I could get along without it now.

Thanks

If this belongs somewhere else, please advise.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best financial software for personal use

I have been using an app called MoneyWiz for the last three years and have been pretty satisfied. You have the option to allow it to connect to your bank accounts and pull the transactions in automatically or you can input transactions manually and reconcile at your leisure.

I have several investment accounts and it tracks those with current market prices pretty consistently. 

My only gripe with the software is that when I first purchased, it was compatible with Windows, however they are now only iOS and Mac. I have used their support several times and they have always responded within a few hours.

You can also import transactions from QB or other options as needed. If you need to sync, the pro version is around $50 a year and keeps all devices up to date. 

Message 2 of 16
Have1
Regular Contributor

My recommendation would be GnuCash.  I have used it for a very long time.  Before that I used QuickBooks for a few years.  When the version of QuickBooks that I had was no longer supported, I went looking for a replacement and I found GnuCash.  It is an open source project originally aimed at being a QuickBooks competitor.

I used GnuCash when I had a business and I have used it for my personal finances for 15 years or so.  I don't iAnything but the site says it runs on Mac.  Since it is an Open Source project there is no cost to download it and check it out.  See if it will meet your needs.  If it does, throw some cash their way.  If it doesn't, keep looking.

The instructions for importing QIF files is here in section 3:  https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?doc=help

I hope this helps.

Message 3 of 16
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@WaltKelly Welcome to MF. I find the app called 'Money Manager' by RealBytes, Inc. to be useful. The icon for the app is a pic of a piggy bank. I like apps that don't require my bank accounts to be linked as I like privacy. The app can be downloaded at either the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 4 of 16
WaltKelly

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been using an app called MoneyWiz for the last three years and have been pretty satisfied. You have the option to allow it to connect to your bank accounts and pull the transactions in automatically or you can input transactions manually and reconcile at your leisure. 

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Message 5 of 16
WaltKelly

@Have1 wrote:

My recommendation would be GnuCash.  I have used it for a very long time.  Before that I used QuickBooks for a few years.  When the version of QuickBooks that I had was no longer supported, I went looking for a replacement and I found GnuCash.  It is an open source project originally aimed at being a QuickBooks competitor.

Can it download data from banks and investment companies so I don't have to manually enter everything?

Message 6 of 16
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@WaltKelly wrote:

@Have1 wrote:

Can it download data from banks and investment companies so I don't have to manually enter everything?

No, but the free Manager.io program (desktop version) will import using .csv files will. That program is at www.manager.io

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 7 of 16
WaltKelly

@SOGGIE wrote:

@WaltKelly Welcome to MF. I find the app called 'Money Manager' by RealBytes, Inc. to be useful. The icon for the app is a pic of a piggy bank. I like apps that don't require my bank accounts to be linked as I like privacy. The app can be downloaded at either the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.

But I don't understand your privacy concern. Those links are only one way, no? The app downloads data from the bank so you don't have to enter everything manually. Does it also upload anything to the bank?

Message 8 of 16
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@WaltKelly wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:

But I don't understand your privacy concern. Those links are only one way, no? The app downloads data from the bank so you don't have to enter everything manually. Does it also upload anything to the bank?

My concern is the possibility of a data breach and the use of my info by app vendors.

Message 9 of 16
WaltKelly

@SOGGIE wrote:

@WaltKelly wrote:

@Have1 wrote:

No, but the free Manager.io program (desktop version) will import using .csv files will. That program is at www.manager.io

Ok, thanks

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.