Did you mean: 

Best financial software for personal use

tag
WaltKelly

Re: Best financial software for personal use

@SOGGIE wrote:

@WaltKelly wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:

@WaltKelly Welcome to MF. I find the app called 'Money Manager' by RealBytes, Inc. to be useful. The icon for the app is a pic of a piggy bank. I like apps that don't require my bank accounts to be linked as I like privacy. The app can be downloaded at either the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.

Thanks, I'll check it out. 

But I don't understand your privacy concern. Those links are only one way, no? The app downloads data from the bank so you don't have to enter everything manually. Does it also upload anything to the bank?

My concern is the possibility of a data breach and the use of my info by app vendors.

But, if the app is hacked, then they will have your data whether it was downloaded from the bank or entered manually by you, no? The data will be in the app either way.

Message 11 of 16
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

I just checked the Help Section in my app. Actually, Money Manager does allow import by spreadsheet. I have mine set up for double entry use. The con for this app is that it does not produce printable reports, but Manager.io does generate printable reports. 

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 12 of 16
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@WaltKelly wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:

@WaltKelly wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:

@WaltKelly Welcome to MF. I find the app called 'Money Manager' by RealBytes, Inc. to be useful. The icon for the app is a pic of a piggy bank. I like apps that don't require my bank accounts to be linked as I like privacy. The app can be downloaded at either the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.

Thanks, I'll check it out. 

But I don't understand your privacy concern. Those links are only one way, no? The app downloads data from the bank so you don't have to enter everything manually. Does it also upload anything to the bank?

My concern is the possibility of a data breach and the use of my info by app vendors.

But, if the app is hacked, then they will have your data whether it was downloaded from the bank or entered manually by you, no? The data will be in the app either way.

No because my bank names, account numbers (optional), and transactions are entered manually by me. I don't want any bank having access to all of my accounting info. 

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 13 of 16
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

And if the app is hacked, only my figures are entered in entirety. All else is entered in a way not disclosing my name, addy, Phone, SSN, or real account numbers, etc. 

Message 14 of 16
Have1
Regular Contributor

@WaltKelly wrote:

@Have1 wrote:

My recommendation would be GnuCash.  I have used it for a very long time.  Before that I used QuickBooks for a few years.  When the version of QuickBooks that I had was no longer supported, I went looking for a replacement and I found GnuCash.  It is an open source project originally aimed at being a QuickBooks competitor.

Can it download data from banks and investment companies so I don't have to manually enter everything?

I have never used the import functions in GnuCash.  I have always manually entered my transactions in account registers.  But as I understand it, you just have to download the file from your bank, in whichever format you use, and then import the data.  GnuCash does not link to your bank but it will import the data that you point it to.

Message 15 of 16
WaltKelly

@Have1 wrote:

I have never used the import functions in GnuCash.  I have always manually entered my transactions in account registers.  But as I understand it, you just have to download the file from your bank, in whichever format you use, and then import the data.  GnuCash does not link to your bank but it will import the data that you point it to.

Ok, thanks

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.