Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlueBird AMEX fraud

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BlueBird AMEX fraud

I know there is already a topic on this but I couldn't comment. Here is my current dilemma.
I started using Bluebird because on Nov 2012 because I needed an account for direct deposit for a new job and I did not have an account at that time. I've never had a problem (I've since gotten accounts with traditional banks and credit union and stayed with BB because I got my check 1-2 days early).
Nov 15 someone charged $3562 to Majestic Resorts. I didn't become aware of it until Nov 20 because I hadn't used my card and knew the balance ($60). For some reason I did a check and saw the negative $3500 balance. I immediately called and filed a fraud case. They said it would take up to 10 days to get information to me as well as a new card (Dec 3).
Nov 22 I received an email with declaration of fraud paperwork. I filled it out and sent it back within an hour. I called Nov 23 to insure they have the paperwork. I was told by the fraud dept that they have until Dec 3 (10 days from report) to give me a status.
Dec 2 I received my new card. Since it was late I decided to call this morning to check status. When I checked my mobile app, the account was locked. I foolishly assumed it was because of the fraud and new card. Called in and received "your account is permanently suspended, we sent you an email. Goodbye"
Checked the email, and it basically said due to the negative balance I violated terms of condition and my account was permanently suspended. I have to write a letter to dispute it. Mind you, i have an ACTIVE fraud investigation (which they now say can take up to 45 days). Right after that, I received an email regarding account support with a different number. Called and they couldn't give me ANY information except write the letter, investigation ongoing. They email the "back office" and I will receive an email in 1-2 business days. But they can't give me any information beyond that. I have changed my direct deposit but it ales up to 2 pay cycles to take effect. So guaranteed that at least 2 paychecks have been lost. BB is NOT working with me at all. They claim they can't even see where the payment went to other than the name, like what I see.
I am so livid and I'm convinced that they are going to give me the run around and make it so difficult that I give up.
Someone posted on the previous thread that someone will help you legally and it charge a lot. Does anyone remember that or any advise? I am beyond livid. Not only did this take Thanksgiving groceries from my family but now we are talk g about Christmas.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: BlueBird AMEX fraud

I would also ask how Amex approved the transaction that created the negative balance!  Should have been a fraud flag for them too.

Hope you get things sorted out soon.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked when I initially reported it. Their response was that it was an online transaction "no one knows how they do this stuff". I reminded them that I have had online purchases declined for lack of funds. I've also had then deny approval at Walmart when the funds are there. And then I have to approve the transaction before they unlock my card. I am at Walmart almost daily.
When I asked again why they approved a $3500+ transaction when there was a balance of $60 they could not provide an answer. I told them this was their fault for not denying the charge and allowing it to go through.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have not done so already file a police report and give a copy to Amex  

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just received an email stating the dismissed my dispute and it was a legitimate transaction. I am mailing a letter on Monday. But this is just straight stealing from me by American Express. Any idea how to join the class action suit against them?
Message 5 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Since this topic involves fraudulent purchases on a credit/debit card I'm moving the thread to 'General Credit' for additional exposure.

--UB

Message 6 of 11
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

First, this is felony fraud, if you haven't already file a police report. Police reports give you more leverage in disputes and shows that you are taking initiative. Pretty sure they can't dismiss if you have a police report

Second, (had to google bluebird) bluebird says it functions like a prepaid card. I've never heard of a prepaid card that lets you overdraft. Even regular bank accounts make you opt-in to even allow overdrafts.

Third, I don't know about a class action, but you could definitely consult with a Consumer Protection Attorney. If you already filed a police report and they dismissed the dispute despite having the police report AND they are withholding your monies then I'd be meeting with attorney asap.

Are they reporting that you owe them $3k? Like collections or something? Put an attorney in your corner, you'll get more pertinent information from someone who's sole job is to help you. Most initial consultations are free if you don't end up hiring them.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to here about your situation. You have me sweating bullets because I also have a Bluebird that is not used. The only reason I got it was to use it as a tool to satisfy the monthly debit card usage requirements of high yield savings accounts with out really spending money.

One of the common value propositions normally touted by Bluebird and their ilk is "No Overdraft". Heck if you read the Bluebirds member ship agreement (https://www.bluebird.com/legal/member-agreement.html) and page search "No overdraft/credit feature"

You might try putting them on blast on consumer advocate websites or social media.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I'm Percy and I've experienced pretty much a similar experience.   My father was a lawyer whoawho taught meame thewthe ins and outstouts ofdof Banking laws.  in my case I am a 66 senior and heart patient who purchased his heart meds using the blue bird card.  Recently I discovered 2 unauthorized charges on my card.  I reported the charges in writing.  Thereafter I received a series of e mails specific to my claim.  They send me an e mail stating my new card was on the way.  When I received my new card with a new  account number I only figured the matter was resolved.   I used the new card 4 times and everything seemed ok.  But then on the evening of the third day my card stopped working.  When I called the customer service number on the back of the card someone told me it was only a system problem.  But the next day I received a series of e mails stating I'd violated Section 22D of the bluebird user agreement.  Then finally that my account has been locked and my account privledges were suspended.  First of all it is a violation of your right to fair disclosure for anyone to take anything o value away from you without first clearly explaining what you're accused of.  It's also known as Due Process.  Nobody can take life, liberty or Property without first explaining what they're accusing you of in descriptive language and giving you a chance to rightfully defend yourself.  There is currently a class action against the  American Express Bank

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way are you aware that some stores won't accept credit cards but when I use my bluebird it goes through like credit card and I done have to use a pin.  Although I did not have to go through a credit check to get my bluebird card under civil law it is held that if someone holds themselves out through their products as being able to skip using a pin number which is an intrigal part of using a debit card then when I haul them to court I will accuse them of violating the Truth In Lending alas TILA.  And not fully disclosing the true functions of the card itself.  My father was the former New York State Attorney General.  

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.