Did you mean: 

BoA / ML investments

tag
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

BoA / ML investments

@Aim_High wrote:

@C6 wrote:

I'd suggest Alliant 2.5% flat and the FNBO Business Evergreen for 3% on the first 10,000 spend. I'd never park $100,000+ in a BOA checking or savings account to get the higher rate. Earning .04% on savings is laughable from a "Too Big To Fail Bank". BOA is not well capitalized and I have no faith in the FDIC. 

I don't know of anyone who would park $100K in a "big bank" checking or savings account @C6.  The deposit requirements for Bank of America Preferred Rewards are total deposits including not only those low-yielding bank deposit accounts but also investments with Merrill Lynch.  Merrill offers Merrill Edge Self-Directed, Merrill Guided Investing, or Merrill Lynch Wealth Managment options.  Merrill Edge Self-Directed offers Unlimited $0 online stock, ETF and option trades with no trade or balance minimums.  Many of our forum members who pursuded Preferred Rewards status moved invested assets including IRAs over while maintaining minimal banking deposits.  

A_H, do you know if there is any 100% risk-free investment opportunities with BoA / ML while maintaining the $100k minimum total deposits?  i.e. CDs?  Or does the money need to be in stocks and ETFs?

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Cash back card/s

@ptatohed wrote:

A_H, do you know if there is any 100% risk-free investment opportunities with BoA / ML while maintaining the $100k minimum total deposits?  i.e. CDs?  Or does the money need to be in stocks and ETFs?

You can get CDs through BoA but the rates they pay on their CDs <insert derogatory naught word here> even with a 6 figure investment.   If you wanted to buy either govt or corporate bonds that's also an option through ML.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 8
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

You can get CDs through BoA but the rates they pay on their CDs <insert derogatory naught word here> even with a 6 figure investment.   If you wanted to buy either govt or corporate bonds that's also an option through ML.

Exactly.  Risk-free would be parking the money in deposit accounts (or those CDs) at less-than-desirable market rates, so probably a poor "investment" while it would be "safe."  Yes, bonds would be more stable and reliable than stocks so perhaps a good compromise if safety is more of a priority for those funds than maximizing return.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 3 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

Does ML offer brokered CDs?   The Fidelity ones are a pretty good rate (e.g. as of today 2.3% APR for 1 month, 3.3% for 12 months)

Message 4 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

Exactly.  Risk-free would be parking the money in deposit accounts (or those CDs) at less-than-desirable market rates, so probably a poor "investment" while it would be "safe."  Yes, bonds would be more stable and reliable than stocks so perhaps a good compromise if safety is more of a priority for those funds than maximizing return.  

Depends on the bonds and stocks. Long-term bonds and junk bonds can be extremely volatile if long-term interest rates change a lot or the borrower falters.

I have a big share of my net worth in Berkshire Hathaway and don't lose sleep over it.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 8
MarkintheHV
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

Does ML offer brokered CDs?   The Fidelity ones are a pretty good rate (e.g. as of today 2.3% APR for 1 month, 3.3% for 12 months)

ML does have brokered CDs.   https://www.merrilledge.com/article/broker-ed-and-bank-cd-solutions-ose

What's in my wallet?
NFCU Flagship - 80k | AmEx Delta Reserve - $70k | Citi AA Executive - $37k | AmEx Delta Reserve Biz - 60k | Citi AA Biz - 20k
Message 6 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: BoA / ML investments

@ptatohed wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@C6 wrote:

I'd suggest Alliant 2.5% flat and the FNBO Business Evergreen for 3% on the first 10,000 spend. I'd never park $100,000+ in a BOA checking or savings account to get the higher rate. Earning .04% on savings is laughable from a "Too Big To Fail Bank". BOA is not well capitalized and I have no faith in the FDIC. 

I don't know of anyone who would park $100K in a "big bank" checking or savings account @C6.  The deposit requirements for Bank of America Preferred Rewards are total deposits including not only those low-yielding bank deposit accounts but also investments with Merrill Lynch.  Merrill offers Merrill Edge Self-Directed, Merrill Guided Investing, or Merrill Lynch Wealth Managment options.  Merrill Edge Self-Directed offers Unlimited $0 online stock, ETF and option trades with no trade or balance minimums.  Many of our forum members who pursuded Preferred Rewards status moved invested assets including IRAs over while maintaining minimal banking deposits.  

The only investment opportunities that are 100% risk-free are those which are FDIC insured. And, as has been established, those don't exactly have great returns on investment right now.

Message 7 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: BoA / ML investments

@ptatohed 

@ptatohed wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@C6 wrote:

There is no such thing as risk free investment anywhere. All investments have risks stock bonds cash etc.  CD's and other cash investments currently you are losing money because the money you earn is not keeping up with inflation. Your money  by not keeping pace with inflation is worth less when you factor inflation . For example, if you earn 2.5% on CD or high yield savings account. currently inflation is around 8% you have lost 5.5% on the investment due to inflation.  Stocks and bonds you have risk of the lost of principal.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.