Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA maintenance fee

tag
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

BoA maintenance fee

Hey guys, I just got penalize for not having $250 in DD for the month, it's very unfortunate, and had to pay $12. Wanted to know if it could get waived? And also, if I do Zelle, of $250 every month from transferring from another bank back and forth, would that trigger a ACH? Thanks 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BoA maintenance fee

Why keep the account at $12/month?

If I ever stop using Chase as my financial clearing house and would have to start paying fees as a result, my account is absolutely getting closed.  Sounds like a lot of potential work to try to keep open a checking account that doesn't appear to have a lot of merit for you?

        
Message 2 of 19
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Just did a test with zelle, yeah it's not gonna work. Have to push money the old fashion way. Well, reason why I have it so that I could get $20/y on top of my $100 for having the BBR card 😄

Message 3 of 19
Green456
Established Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:

Hey guys, I just got penalize for not having $250 in DD for the month, it's very unfortunate, and had to pay $12. Wanted to know if it could get waived? And also, if I do Zelle, of $250 every month from transferring from another bank back and forth, would that trigger a ACH? Thanks 

Call them. No Zelle will not work. If you have $10,000 in IRA, you can park it in Merrill Edge and get comopletly free relationship checking. 

Message 4 of 19
Green456
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Why keep the account at $12/month?

If I ever stop using Chase as my financial clearing house and would have to start paying fees as a result, my account is absolutely getting closed.  Sounds like a lot of potential work to try to keep open a checking account that doesn't appear to have a lot of merit for you?

No reason to for $12 a month. But if you can keep the account free with DD then it maybe worth keeping for other reasons.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I got hit with that fee once due to a snafu with a DD last year. I thougt about calling in, but it was only $12 and I felt like it was a futile cause considering. I mean it happend right after their whole policy changes and no longer able to waive it with a Savings account attached.

So I might have been able to get it returned...

Truthfully with some of the recent changes regarding accounts, and the main fact that I'll no longer have DD income going there after April. 

I'll probably close up shop there and go to another Bank.

Message 6 of 19
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Yeah, so I remember a old credit union I opened up with a fixed rate card, I used pop money, but these days they have zelle. I like pop money cause you could still do a ACH - RN/AN. I just need to get a debit card from them lol

Message 7 of 19
AllZero
Mega Contributor

If free from your CU, use your CU account to ACH push and pull funds to and from the BoA account. It may trigger the DD.
Message 8 of 19
creditfan
Established Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:

Just did a test with zelle, yeah it's not gonna work. Have to push money the old fashion way. Well, reason why I have it so that I could get $20/y on top of my $100 for having the BBR card 😄

I have BofA saving acct for the same reason.

I believe BofA saving now requires $500 to keep it fee free. Mine is grandfathered in with only $300 requires. I do have $300 in it for worry free

Message 9 of 19
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Man, back in the days I had the boa checking account in '13 and it was free, no monthly maintenance or anything. I think just to open was put in $300 and let it sit or something, I think you may got the same one. But, now it's $1500, not $300 anymore.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.