cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burned NFCU

tag
Calisoco

Burned NFCU

I have read a decent amount of threads about this topic but didn't see my situation spelled out and I want to make sure I go about it the right way.

i had 3 products with nfcu other than a checking and a savings (don't know where I left those, don't believe I really used those). I had an auto loan (1 30, 1 60 late) and then paid off and rest of the payments were okay. Cash rewards 5k and nrewards 3000. Went through a divorce and couldn't pay anything back. Auto loan left standing once it was paid in full I couldn't get online access anymore. I understand I need to pay this in full to have a chance of doing anything. Branch roughly 3 hours away that I don't mind driving to. I got in through my sister. My ex wife is currently still a member. Any chance I can get back in? It worries me that I don't even have online access anymore and I was a member only because of a family member. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm sure I left some important info out. I will gladly add any needed info!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Burned NFCU

NFCU tends to let people back in after accounts that are deliquent are paid in full. It might be a few months before you can get any credit products though. I would call them first, before driving three hours away. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 5
outofcredit
Established Contributor

When I previously owed NFCU, I called them and was able to pay in full what I owed over the phone.  The account had been delinquent for nine years.  They immediately unfroze my access and I was able to sign in again and create a new password.  I opened a new checking and savings account and my "member since" date was backdated to include the nine years reflecting my original joining date.  I opened a nRewards card with them six months later.  I haven't tried for any unsecured credit cards to date but I do have their OOPS coverage on my checking account. I would call them, I'm sure everything can be handled via phone.

Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, I've learned to dance in the rain.
Message 3 of 5
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

This is pure speculation...but I would think that once you've made them whole, they would "re-open" your account versus having you "apply for membership again" and thus the question of eligibility wouldn't even come up.

It seems that I read less posts about people having to show proof of eligibility than what I'm certain occurs...leading me to think it would not be an issue.  Again...just my hunch...good luck!

Message 4 of 5
sznthescore
Established Contributor

You can most definitely get back in.... I would call and see what you need to do. 1) Make good on any balances owed. 2) You'll have to do a security appeal to finish the process and re-gain online access. Not sure if you read my story, but I'm back in with a new auto loan I got approved for last week . ... Link will open in a new window 

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.