Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C'mon man

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

C'mon man

My sister in law walked out of CVS leaving her Regions CC on the counter a couple of weeks ago.

A few hours later she realized it was missing and checked to see if it had been used.  Yep.  First thing they bought was gas, to make sure it was on.  Next they went to Pizza Hut for lunch (no kidding) then bought stereo equipment for their car. Visited Best Buy for a new flat screen, then went across the street to Dept. store and picked out 300 dollars of clothes, then closed out their busy day with 240 dollars worth of groceries from the super mkt.

She notified Regions Bank and it was quickly turned off.  A few days later local police and bank investigators visited the gas station and reviewed the CCTV, matched date and time stamps with the CC receipt and found their lady.

Now here's the kicker- the lady that stole the CC is black, my sister in law is cacausian, blonde, blue eyes LOL.  Not one time was this person asked for a ID.  She bought 2000k worth of stereo stuff and they swiped that card without so much as a blink.  You think they'd ask "M'am can I see some ID?"  Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I was asked for a ID on card swipe.

Owell.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
MacMan313
Contributor

Re: C'mon man

Unfortunately plastic is so common anymore that people do not pay attention. Not to mention the display of fustration customers show when they are asked to show an id.

EQ: 646 TU: 653 EX: 658 [CH7 Discharge 10/14]

PayPal Credit $2000 | Credit One Platinum $1200 | Grain $1000 | Capital One Quicksilver $700 | Capital One Quicksilver $500 | BrightWay $500 | Capital One Walmart Rewards $300
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I work at a customer service job where sometimes people would pay with their credit/debit card. My job has a policy to ask the customer To present their ID and make sure it matches the name on the card. The only thing tho is that I believe it was Visa that prohibits asking for an ID per their terms and agreement and stated that the only time we ask for an ID was that when the back of the card is not sign. There's more to it but I for got some. so sometimes when a Visa card is not sign or there's a see ID on it. I would always ask. 

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think there should be some law that if they don't check ID you should be able to sue them for the hassle. Since you recoup your money anyways there should be some sort of fine or penalty businesses should pay.

I went to a furniture store...had $7,000 worth of stuff picked out and when she asked for my card she didn't ask for my ID. I quickly said "Can I have my card back" and walked out. I refuse to do business with irresponsible people.
Message 4 of 25
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

It's been years since I was asked for an ID. Even when I have my drivers license out and ready I say "don't you want to see my ID?" "No, that's okay." Maybe I should walk out as well. 

@AshleyAng wrote:
I think there should be some law that if they don't check ID you should be able to sue them for the hassle. Since you recoup your money anyways there should be some sort of fine or penalty businesses should pay.

I went to a furniture store...had $7,000 worth of stuff picked out and when she asked for my card she didn't ask for my ID. I quickly said "Can I have my card back" and walked out. I refuse to do business with irresponsible people.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always say something if they don't ask. Most of the time I make a snarky comment AFTER the purchase goes through...like ....

"So glad you didn't ask for my ID....it's actually my exes card and he's a cop so o definitely don't want to get caught! "

Hey...they deserve to have to worry if they aren't doing their jobSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

T&C. Visa and MC branded cards are transferable. IE you can let your 2nd cousins best friends ex wife use it. Amex and Discover are non transferable cards. If your wife signs on your card you could theoretically dispute it and the merchant would be responsible. Of course it might be difficult for you to prove your wife stole your card Smiley Surprised

I would however reccomend that she set up alerts on her card. Discover and us bank send me a text message if I try to charge anything over a couple hundred bucks.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife teases me, but I don't sign the back of my cards, instead I write "Ask for ID" in black sharpie.  It works 25% of the time. LOL

Message 8 of 25
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I work at a customer service job where sometimes people would pay with their credit/debit card. My job has a policy to ask the customer To present their ID and make sure it matches the name on the card. The only thing tho is that I believe it was Visa that prohibits asking for an ID per their terms and agreement and stated that the only time we ask for an ID was that when the back of the card is not sign. There's more to it but I for got some. so sometimes when a Visa card is not sign or there's a see ID on it. I would always ask. 

It's been a while since I closed my business(es) but for the 30+ years I ran companies that honored MC/V/AE (and part of the time Discover) our merchant agreements stated that ID was not required nor could we demand ID - there was a code for calling in a suspicious transaction, but if the signatures matched, that was it. Today online sales and NFC (phone tap) tansactions have no ID requirements. While you might "think" a merchant should be checking your ID, in many cases its not the way card processing is done today - I for one refuse to show ID on everyday transactions since I know its against the merchant agreements (perhaps this has changed in the last 4 or 5 years).

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now here's the kicker- the lady that stole the CC is black, my sister in law is cacausian, blonde, blue eyes LOL.  Not one time was this person asked for a ID.  She bought 2000k worth of stereo stuff and they swiped that card without so much as a blink.  You think they'd ask "M'am can I see some ID?"  Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I was asked for a ID on card swipe. Now i undestand that it's completely wrong for them to not ask for id and hate that your sister n law had to go through this, but i really don't think race is an issue with this. Black people have "their own" credit cards as well cacausians and may or maynot get carded. Not picking at all, but i find this comment disturbing.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.