Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C'mon man

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: C'mon man

@Anonymous wrote:

You think they'd ask "M'am can I see some ID?"  Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I was asked for a ID on card swipe.

Not saying that they shouldn't have checked the ID but I don't understand how you think they'd check ID when no one has been checking your ID.  FWIW, I'm rarely asked for ID.

@AshleyAng wrote:
I think there should be some law that if they don't check ID you should be able to sue them for the hassle.

You can always sue.  Whether it's worth the hassle to sue or whether or not you actually get anyting is an entirely separate matter though.

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

"but i really don't think race is an issue with this. Black people have "their own" credit cards as well cacausians and may or maynot get carded. Not picking at all, but i find this comment disturbing."

Of course race is not a issue.  I was just pointing out how easily it would have been for the clerk to detect something was amiss.  I would be just as aback if the scenario was reversed.  My point was I thought there would be more diligence on the merchant end, and from the comments here I see there is none.

I would be offended if a store is carding only one particular race, but I'd have no problem if the policy was "card every purchase over 1000k."

I/us get stuff in email attachments to our online statements on what we need to do to protect our indentity, and prevent fraud.  And visa sends memos out to merchants not to check ID's?  What am I missing?  My guess is they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings for being carded.  They also prolly don't wanna leave a transaction decision to min wage employee youngster, so what the heck, don't check anybody and if the transaction is bogus we'll deal with it later.

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the Visa/merchant agreement there is specific language that says the merchant cannot deny a charge if the customer refuses to provide ID.  MasterCard has similar language in theirs 

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the point he was trying to make was that she wasn't trying to pass off a fake ID that had a picture. She was passing off a credit card that was not her own. Meaning they would have no idea what Jane Doe looks like anyways.

I can maybe see if it was a man....as "Jane Doe" being the name on the card and a man standing in front of you is suspicious. But why would her simply being a "black lady" make anything seem amiss?
Message 14 of 25
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

@AshleyAng wrote:
I think there should be some law that if they don't check ID you should be able to sue them for the hassle. Since you recoup your money anyways there should be some sort of fine or penalty businesses should pay.

I went to a furniture store...had $7,000 worth of stuff picked out and when she asked for my card she didn't ask for my ID. I quickly said "Can I have my card back" and walked out. I refuse to do business with irresponsible people.

Heh, no you didnt.... 

If I picked out 7K off stuff I wouldnt just walk away because the cashier that gets paid $10 an hour didnt check my ID....

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 15 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Strogen wrote:

@AshleyAng wrote:
I think there should be some law that if they don't check ID you should be able to sue them for the hassle. Since you recoup your money anyways there should be some sort of fine or penalty businesses should pay.

I went to a furniture store...had $7,000 worth of stuff picked out and when she asked for my card she didn't ask for my ID. I quickly said "Can I have my card back" and walked out. I refuse to do business with irresponsible people.

Heh, no you didnt.... 

If I picked out 7K off stuff I wouldnt just walk away because the cashier that gets paid $10 an hour didnt check my ID....

I probably wouldn't either but I understand the point: different people evaluate on different things, most of the people I work with evaluate based on money, I do more so on right and wrong as one such example.

        
Message 16 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@AshleyAng wrote:
I think the point he was trying to make was that she wasn't trying to pass off a fake ID that had a picture. She was passing off a credit card that was not her own. Meaning they would have no idea what Jane Doe looks like anyways.

I can maybe see if it was a man....as "Jane Doe" being the name on the card and a man standing in front of you is suspicious. But why would her simply being a "black lady" make anything seem amiss?

I don't think that was the point that was trying to be made though you're absolutely correct.

If I have to I can go back and revise history or just whack it but I expect that won't be necessary.

        
Message 17 of 25
EW800
Valued Contributor

The lady was able to purchase $200K in stero equipment?!?! I have to ask, what kind of CL is on that card?
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 18 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@EW800 wrote:
The lady was able to purchase $200K in stero equipment?!?! I have to ask, what kind of CL is on that card?

2000k even!  Smiley Very Happy  

Good thing that wasn't a 3 orders of magnitude typo on a loan app hehe.

        
Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I'm pretty happy not to be asked for ID, since my credit card doesn't have the same name as my ID does. (State law here makes name changes very easy in principle, but the department of transportation is very stingy with correcting ID cards in practice.)
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.