cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREDIT UNION MEMBERSHIP - HARD OR SOFT INQUIRIES?

tag
MCM1
Regular Contributor

CREDIT UNION MEMBERSHIP - HARD OR SOFT INQUIRIES?

If anyone has knowledge of which CU's do soft credit inquiries instead of hard can you please let me know?  I am considering moving accounts to CU's and would like to find 4-5 CU's that I could start relationships with.  But i prefer not to have hard inquiries to start.  THANK YOU for any info you can provide. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
KanesInferno
New Contributor

Re: CREDIT UNION MEMBERSHIP - HARD OR SOFT INQUIRIES?

Not sure where you're located but I have experience with these three:

Hughes Federal Credit Union - Soft IQ in 2018 (not sure if they've changed since then)

TruWest Credit Union - Soft IQ in 2018

Credit Union of Georgia - HARD IQ in 2021 (pulled Equifax)

I have great experiences with TruWest and Hughes (I've even used them for auto loans), both are for banking. I ended up not going with a membership at CU of Georgia after they presented my options and didn't tell me about the hard pull (upset doesn't even begin to describe how I felt). 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MCM1  The following offer a prequalification tool for credit/loans which perform a soft pull:

Dover FCU

NASA FCU

US Alliance FCU

No credit pull for secured credit/loans:

Andrews FCU

But with that said, I am unaware if any that I listed perform a soft pull/hard pull for membership.

Message 3 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MCM1 wrote:

If anyone has knowledge of which CU's do soft credit inquiries instead of hard can you please let me know?  I am considering moving accounts to CU's and would like to find 4-5 CU's that I could start relationships with.  But i prefer not to have hard inquiries to start.  THANK YOU for any info you can provide. 

IMHO the best way to go about this is to find some credit unions you like, and then email them asking "Is there a hard credit pull for membership applications?"

I can point to some which last I heard do not do a HP for membership, but these things change, and the info may not be up to date:

Dept of Agriculture, Andrews, BECU, Digital, First Tech, Members 1st (PA), Patelco, SECU MD, Service, Technology, US Senate, Virginia CU.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 10
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

I just joined Penfed direct from their website on Monday and no HP.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 5 of 10
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@Priory_Man wrote:
I just joined Penfed direct from their website on Monday and no HP.

I'll second the no HP from joining Penfed. I opened up a PenFed savings account via the website to get memberhsip earlier this month and it was a SP for EQ and EX (nothing shows on TU).

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
April 2024 FICO 8:
April 2024 FICO 9:
Message 6 of 10
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

DCU FCU was a SP for me last year in Jul 2021 and good credit offers after 6m membership (DCU told me that it takes about 6m to get any offers for most people).

Message 7 of 10
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@Zoostation1 wrote:

I'll second the no HP from joining Penfed. I opened up a PenFed savings account via the website to get memberhsip earlier this month and it was a SP for EQ and EX (nothing shows on TU).

That is a welcome change. They were a hard pull when I joined (and a nightmare for a few reasons), but great to deal with as a customer.

Also, someone said that BECU is a soft pull, but I was just told by them yesterday that they were a hard pull, so I am not sure which is right.

Message 8 of 10
mrshardy3022

These the credit union so just gotten an no hard pull 

penfed

nfcu

alliant fcu

Dcu

signature fcu 

GreenState cu 

Langley fcu 

all soft pulls 

Message 9 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@ThomasJNewton wrote:

@Zoostation1 wrote:

That is a welcome change. They were a hard pull when I joined (and a nightmare for a few reasons), but great to deal with as a customer.

Also, someone said that BECU is a soft pull, but I was just told by them yesterday that they were a hard pull, so I am not sure which is right.

For me they were SP for membership.  Less than a year ago.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.