cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CU Members: Do you belong to multiple Credit Unions? Why?

tag
ChazzieT
Frequent Contributor

Re: CU Members: Do you belong to multiple Credit Unions? Why?

I'm a member of 8 credit unions beacause each one offered their members something I wanted:

DCU = High Yield Savings

Service CU = High Yield Savings

Redstone FCU = High Yield Savings

Affinity FCU = High Yield Savings, Cash Back Credit Card

US Aliance = High Yield Savings, Cash Back Credit Card

Langley FCU = High Yield Savings, Cash Back Credit Card

AOD FCU = Cash Back Credit Card

First Community FCU = Local Branches

and I'm thining seriously about apping Blue FCU, again, either tonight or tomorrow, for their High Yield Savings.

Message 31 of 65
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

I am a member of:

Navy Federal;

PSECU and;

A local CU

Although I am interested in 3 others I am eventually join 2 more CUs.

Message 32 of 65
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Recently I have been joining CUs that offer "decent" rates on IRA certificates, where "decent" has been a steadily declining number unfortunately.   These include:

PenAir 

Evansville Teachers FCU  (which also has a great rewards checking account which I use)

NASA FCU (which I originally joined for their 2% credit card, at the time amazing, since nerfed)

Energy FCU

Metro Credit Union

Consumers Credit Union (originally joined for rewards checking and credit card, closed and recently reopened for IRA rates)

Financial Resources FCU:  (advertised great rates turned out to have too many conditions, so not being used)

Then for credit cards I have

Penfed (Platinum Rewards, don't use)

USAlliance (3% card, for now)

Message 33 of 65
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Metro Credit Union

Which one? I know of at least 3 that go by that name.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 34 of 65
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Metro Credit Union

The one in Boston MA area, https://www.metrocu.org/

Do the others have the same name?  I know there is a Metro Federal Credit Union

Message 35 of 65
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Metro Credit Union

I know that one, a relative of mine is a member.  I've been to the branch across the street from Burlington High School.

https://www.metrofcu.org/

image.png

https://www.metro.coop

image.png

Not the only time I've heard of multiple credit unions that each has the same name in common usage, for example there is the Alliant Credit Union well-known here in metro Chicago but there is another much smaller Alliant Credit Union in Iowa.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 36 of 65
ChazzieT
Frequent Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Metro Credit Union

I know that one, a relative of mine is a member.  I've been to the branch across the street from Burlington High School.

https://www.metrofcu.org/

image.png

https://www.metro.coop

image.png

Not the only time I've heard of multiple credit unions that each has the same name...

Also multiple First Community CU's. I think I DL'd the wrong app three times, the last time I got a new phone.

Message 37 of 65
joltdude
Senior Contributor

I previously was a member of 3 FCUs...

Now down to two... Likely ill kick one of them to the curb as well...

Currently Im using Hanscom FCU as my primary checking account.. No real problems, but concerned about how they treated someone else I know.. but so far they have treated me well, but not offering me anything and a bit conservative..... 

I have an Alliant FCU account for a savings account/SSL loan... Not bad, but they too are considered quite conservative and their cards are meh for my income and spend.. Likely close it next year... unless the interest peaks up on the savings..Got it for the CD/High interest savings in addition to the SSL...  Previously had a CD and shoulda renewed it... hindsight is 20/20

And the accounts I just closed... just felt bitter and dissapointed.. Offered me nothing over the years, then relatively recently played the inactivity fee game.. Fine. i made a transaction a year just to keep it open for a what-if ... but that didnt count for my savings account... so they repeatedly took out an inactivity fee out of the savings even though i made a transaction on the checking and were whittling it down to nothing at 5$ a whack.. And no inclination to reverse it after making another transaction..  Didn't even try to keep me.. 

Im done with them..  And their phone CSRs aren't very helpful or friendly... Its sad when the larger banks are more courteous....

-J

Message 38 of 65
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Technically a member of 4 but only actively using 2:

1. NC SECU -- opened in 2011 on a loophole as they are very restrictive in terms of membership.  My primary FI with their best perk are extremely low fees and interest rates.  Locations everywhere around my house.  They also give you a 2nd chance alert when a payment comes through if you don't have enough to cover it so you can make a deposit to avoid having it returned.  They also have something called a Salary Advance Loan where you can borrow up to 500 per pay period... 25 bucks gets stashed in a restricted savings account and you get the other 475... which is auto debited from your next paycheck.  Easy way to build up a cash reserve without thinking about it.  It also reports as an open loan.
  2. NFCU -- send the bulk of my direct deposit here.  Buildup my credit portfolio with them... only opened in 11/20
  3. Penfed --just opened a couple months ago and we are just on the coffee date phase.
  4. InTouch credit union... formerly EDS CU.  Have nothing here anymore.  Most I ever had was a 500.00 credit card which never EVER grew even after 15 years.  No shared branches and terrible website.  I think I still have my mandatory 5.00 savings account here and have just been too lazy to figure out how to close it.  There products suck, anyway.

Applied for SDFCU earlier this year but after waiting to hear anything back for 3 weeks and having recently been approved for SECU cc and auto loan, didn't follow through on the verification.

im going to focus on SECU and Navy for now... then maybe next year of small regular direct deposits to Penfed, see if I can go on a dinner date!

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 39 of 65
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

I have been a credit union person since 2007 -2008 and have several, some may be let go however.

Apple Federal CU - Joined for their very good secured card - I could upgrade it (graduate with a HP) but not sure yet.  Leaning towards closing.  Watch, I will close down the card and they will come up with a 3% card.  They are great to deal with. 9-5 hours however.

AOD:  Main personal "Bank:  We get nice returns on the Kaskasa Checking and Savings.  Excellent overnight push and pull ACH (even credited for pulls on weekends) I pull both my and DW's Direct Deposit every Friday and am credited by Saturday.   Awaiting worthiness for 3% card this Fall at the latest.  They have been crazy nice and easy to deal with. You call in and you may just get the Head Honcho on the line... 

DCU - Have the 1k high interest savings (unworthy as yet for anything else) I will keep them around  Free EQ05 score

Baxter CU:  Somehow still a member with the only remaining CC from before our financial meltdown.  I had to burn them on a personal card though.  I guess I will stay a member.  They are excellent and feel terrible burning them but it was feed the kids or let them go.

NFCU: Since 2015, gave me and DW our first secured cards in 2016 and jump started our rebuilds.  She has 3 nice CL cards and a 15 year mortgage @ 2% there (they love her!)  Wish they allowed ACH pulls. Free TU09 Score  They can be excellent but also very weird at times.  I am ending my DD going to NFCU after 7 years. (See PSECU who blew away NFCU for a card approval)

PenFed:  14 year member, savings only for 13 years, just got checking last year.  They just gave me a nice card. I have zero complaints.

Elements Financial:  Joined in 2015 thinking it might be a good place for a secured card but the credit analyst convinced me to not apply.  The have an excellent next day push and pull ACH system. Used to have a free EQ08 score but they "upgraded" to Vantage 3.0

Andigo, now Consumers CU:  Another "why did I join this CU" membership.  I will hold on to see what whe final merger brings.   If noting special comes of it, I will likely close out checking at least.  Goofy ACH system.  Push and pull but it takes days. (very bank like)

PSECU:  Member since 2008:  Just gave me my highest SL  (DW as well in March).  Only checking and savings since joining.  Glad I never applied for credit pre meltdown or they would have gotten burned (PenFed as well)  Zero complaints.  Free EX02 score  Great Secured card for those looking for one!  They will be getting my DD to satisfy 2% requirement on Founders Card.

Alliant:  Still a member I think:  Burned in the great 2014 financial meltdown

NASA:  Member for 13 years.  Only savings since they ended free checking.  I was wearing the shirt they sent me as a gift for joining in 2008 yesterday.  Since I wanted to be an Astronaut as a kid, I would not mind having one of their cards.  Wish it was a 2% card...  Free EX02 Score

Corporate America CU:  In the what the F was I thinking club.  I joined for the secured card and was berated after a denial by the sole credit analyst. I have to close this out.  It is a very strange operation.  I am sure it works for some folks.

One I would like to add:  Affinity FCU  They denied me membership in 2016 and blamed it on identity but in truth that soft pull they did must have freaked them out.  They have a nice rewards card and I know they have an excellent Secured Card which I of course no longer need.

I think that is it but since I am going by memory, I may be forgetting one...

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 40 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.