cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CU Members: Do you belong to multiple Credit Unions? Why?

tag
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: CU Members: Do you belong to multiple Credit Unions? Why?

Yeah. I'm part of several right now. 

NFCU 

Penfed - one of the first lenders to give me another chance after BK. I never burned them 

Delta Community CU - I qualify because I live in the area 

Georgia United CU 

Alliant CU

And there are a few others as well I'm part of. I also used to have an account with DCU, but I've already gone into why I was kicked out of there and how I'm trying to get back in as of now. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 41 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 6 CU accounts and pretty satisfied with all of them so far. Don’t think I’ll add anymore anytime soon. Last one I tried was SDFCU and their identity verification process was a nightmare. Gave them everything short of a blood sample and it turned out to be a complete waste of a hard pull. 

Affinity FCU - Great customer service, high-yield savings, cash back debit card, painless and efficient process to acquire checking, savings and credit products (secured card - no HP). Looking to continue relationship-building and go for their mortgage products and Cash Rewards Visa in lieu of an Amazon card. 

Blue FCU - Good Customer service, high-yield savings, interest-earning checking account, rewards for life program, free youth checking account for kids under 13 (aside from Chase, I haven’t found another FI).

DCU - Good Customer Service, high-yield savings, low auto rates, EQ5 score

MCU - Customer service is hit or miss, mobile app is terrible (new one coming soon, thankfully), no free checking account or high yield savings but seamless payroll integration, low auto rates, ATM at office locations, generous starting CLs on products. New CEO took over recently after an embezzlement situation, so I’m sticking around hoping for improvements and to possibly acquire their 1.5% rewards card (not the best rewards card but they’re BK friendly) to further expand my portfolio during my rebuild. 

Navy FCU - Great Customer Service, variety of education savings options, low auto rates, Geico discount, generous for my rebuilding profile. Definitely looking forward to relationship-building and acquiring more credit products. Plus, eyeing them for a mortgage as well. 

Penfed - Good Customer Service, local branch, higher rate on premium savings account than main bank; relationship-building phase to app for credit products in the distant future.

Message 42 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in three locals and two nationals.

My local CUs are:

One primary FI for all day-to-day banking. Been with them for 32 years, since 9th grade. Mortgage, multiple car and personal loans over the years, and a credit card I opened last year. I will not leave this CU. I know everyone by name, they know me, and it's a pleasure dealing with them.

One CU that I used for paying my derogs when I rebuilt, so no CA had access to my main accounts, and only could reach the money we agreed upon. That's over with now, and I don't have much use for it at this point. Cards and loans are beaten by other FIs so I may just pull out the few hundred dollars I have there and close it.

One CU that's a local backup in case anything happened to my primary. I send some cash there with each check and use it as a savings mainly, although like many CUs they do offer a low interest Visa with generous lines, and the underwriter for their cards is the roommate of a good friend. I may explore their card next year.

My nationals are Navy and PenFed. I joined them for the obvious reasons (high-limit cards), and will likely refi my car loan with one of them later this year. Currently it's held by Key Bank, and both of these CUs have better interest rates.

Message 43 of 65
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

One primary FI for all day-to-day banking. Been with them for 32 years, since 9th grade. Mortgage, multiple car and personal loans over the years, and a credit card I opened last year.

I will not leave this CU. I know everyone by name, they know me, and it's a pleasure dealing with them.

+1 ... great examples of how a local credit union can easily beat out the larger banks in overall customer experience.  Smiley Happy

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 44 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

Yeah. I'm part of several right now. 

NFCU 

Penfed - one of the first lenders to give me another chance after BK. I never burned them 

Delta Community CU - I qualify because I live in the area 

Georgia United CU 

Alliant CU

And there are a few others as well I'm part of. I also used to have an account with DCU, but I've already gone into why I was kicked out of there and how I'm trying to get back in as of now. 

What do you love about Delta and Georgia United CU each? 🙏🏻🤔

Message 45 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 6 CU accounts and pretty satisfied with all of them so far. Don’t think I’ll add anymore anytime soon. Last one I tried was SDFCU and their identity verification process was a nightmare. Gave them everything short of a blood sample and it turned out to be a complete waste of a hard pull. 

Affinity FCU - Great customer service, high-yield savings, cash back debit card, painless and efficient process to acquire checking, savings and credit products (secured card - no HP). Looking to continue relationship-building and go for their mortgage products and Cash Rewards Visa in lieu of an Amazon card. 

Blue FCU - Good Customer service, high-yield savings, interest-earning checking account, rewards for life program, free youth checking account for kids under 13 (aside from Chase, I haven’t found another FI).

DCU - Good Customer Service, high-yield savings, low auto rates, EQ5 score

MCU - Customer service is hit or miss, mobile app is terrible (new one coming soon, thankfully), no free checking account or high yield savings but seamless payroll integration, low auto rates, ATM at office locations, generous starting CLs on products. New CEO took over recently after an embezzlement situation, so I’m sticking around hoping for improvements and to possibly acquire their 1.5% rewards card (not the best rewards card but they’re BK friendly) to further expand my portfolio during my rebuild. 

Navy FCU - Great Customer Service, variety of education savings options, low auto rates, Geico discount, generous for my rebuilding profile. Definitely looking forward to relationship-building and acquiring more credit products. Plus, eyeing them for a mortgage as well. 

Penfed - Good Customer Service, local branch, higher rate on premium savings account than main bank; relationship-building phase to app for credit products in the distant future.

These all and each sound great! TY for giving a small profile on each. 🙏🏻

Message 46 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in three locals and two nationals.

My local CUs are:

One primary FI for all day-to-day banking. Been with them for 32 years, since 9th grade. Mortgage, multiple car and personal loans over the years, and a credit card I opened last year. I will not leave this CU. I know everyone by name, they know me, and it's a pleasure dealing with them.

One CU that I used for paying my derogs when I rebuilt, so no CA had access to my main accounts, and only could reach the money we agreed upon. That's over with now, and I don't have much use for it at this point. Cards and loans are beaten by other FIs so I may just pull out the few hundred dollars I have there and close it.

One CU that's a local backup in case anything happened to my primary. I send some cash there with each check and use it as a savings mainly, although like many CUs they do offer a low interest Visa with generous lines, and the underwriter for their cards is the roommate of a good friend. I may explore their card next year.

My nationals are Navy and PenFed. I joined them for the obvious reasons (high-limit cards), and will likely refi my car loan with one of them later this year. Currently it's held by Key Bank, and both of these CUs have better interest rates.

Sounds great. Yes, I'm a recent member of NFCU and am contemplating joining PenFed as well. I never experienced any kind of actual relationship at WFB and adore the Sir, Ma'am and addressing me with my honorific of choice at NFCU. Leaning more and more towards putting most of my banking at CU's.  

Message 47 of 65
bdebtfree215
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi 🙋‍♀️ CU Members: Do you belong to multiple Credit Unions? Why? What do you like about each, please, if you belong to more than one? 

Back in the day when locations mattered completely, I joined the CU which as an employee benefit at each new employer. My favorite for location was the one with a branch in our office. That was a sweet feature. 🤩

For folks like me who use the search feature, yes, I put in both CU and Credit Unions in the title to be more findable later... And this was the closest but not it thread which some of you might find relevant for your needs:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/How-many-banking-institutions-do-you-belong-to/m-p/4637814#M8800

I belong to two. The first is NFCU I joined them because I wanted to establish a relationship in order to get a CC. Got approved for $25k this year. I also have Police and Fire Federal Credit Union (PFFCU) because they allow me to get my paycheck and most direct deposits a day early (haha). If NFCU offered that I'd only have one. 

Message 48 of 65
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@bdebtfree215 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi 🙋‍♀️ CU Members: Do you belong to multiple Credit Unions? Why? What do you like about each, please, if you belong to more than one? 

Back in the day when locations mattered completely, I joined the CU which as an employee benefit at each new employer. My favorite for location was the one with a branch in our office. That was a sweet feature. 🤩

For folks like me who use the search feature, yes, I put in both CU and Credit Unions in the title to be more findable later... And this was the closest but not it thread which some of you might find relevant for your needs:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/How-many-banking-institutions-do-you-belong-to/m-p/4637814#M8800

I belong to two. The first is NFCU I joined them because I wanted to establish a relationship in order to get a CC. Got approved for $25k this year. I also have Police and Fire Federal Credit Union (PFFCU) because they allow me to get my paycheck and most direct deposits a day early (haha). If NFCU offered that I'd only have one. 

@bdebtfree215  NFCU has 1 day early DD.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Credit-unions-with-early-direct-deposit/m-p/5163453

Message 49 of 65
bdebtfree215
Valued Member

@AllZero wrote:

@bdebtfree215 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bdebtfree215  NFCU has 1 day early DD.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Credit-unions-with-early-direct-deposit/m-p/5163453

That's weird. They were my only credit union for about two years and I got paid on my actual pay day. It would show up in the pending deposits the day before but not in my available balance- unless something changed or they don't like me haha 

Message 50 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.