cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CU Members: Do you belong to multiple Credit Unions? Why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CU Members: Do you belong to multiple Credit Unions? Why?

@bdebtfree215 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi 🙋‍♀️ CU Members: Do you belong to multiple Credit Unions? Why? What do you like about each, please, if you belong to more than one? 

Back in the day when locations mattered completely, I joined the CU which as an employee benefit at each new employer. My favorite for location was the one with a branch in our office. That was a sweet feature. 🤩

For folks like me who use the search feature, yes, I put in both CU and Credit Unions in the title to be more findable later... And this was the closest but not it thread which some of you might find relevant for your needs:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/How-many-banking-institutions-do-you-belong-to/m-p/4637814#M8800

I belong to two. The first is NFCU I joined them because I wanted to establish a relationship in order to get a CC. Got approved for $25k this year. I also have Police and Fire Federal Credit Union (PFFCU) because they allow me to get my paycheck and most direct deposits a day early (haha). If NFCU offered that I'd only have one. 

Oh yes! 🙌🏻😂😁 I remember getting my corporate paychecks DD'd and having the funds arriving one day early. How sweet it is! 🌞🌞🌞 Thank you for sharing about your CU's. 🙏🏻🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Message 51 of 65
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@bdebtfree215 wrote:

That's weird. They were my only credit union for about two years and I got paid on my actual pay day. It would show up in the pending deposits the day before but not in my available balance- unless something changed or they don't like me haha 

It may be a YEMV situation. It has worked for some and not others.

Message 52 of 65
bdebtfree215
Valued Member

@AllZero wrote:

@bdebtfree215 wrote:

That's weird. They were my only credit union for about two years and I got paid on my actual pay day. It would show up in the pending deposits the day before but not in my available balance- unless something changed or they don't like me haha 

Gotcha!

Message 53 of 65
oorhett
Regular Contributor

@bdebtfree215 wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

@bdebtfree215 wrote:

Gotcha!

I was told by a CSA at NFCU that when you see the deposit in pending call them and they can setup early deposit. However I have tried this and still get it on payday and no earlier. I think it may have worked that one time but I'm not going to bother calling them every payday. 

BK 7 5/19 Discharged 09/19
Beginning Scores - EQ 579, TU 565
Current Scores(Vantage, high/current) - EQ 728/690, TU 706/685 / (Fico8/9) EX^8 697 TU^8 677 EQ^9 699
Mortgage (1/24) - EX 720 / TU 727 / EQ 713
Message 54 of 65
bdebtfree215
Valued Member

@oorhett wrote:

@bdebtfree215 wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

@bdebtfree215 wrote:

Gotcha!

I was told by a CSA at NFCU that when you see the deposit in pending call them and they can setup early deposit. However I have tried this and still get it on payday and no earlier. I think it may have worked that one time but I not going to bother calling them every payday. 

Oh wow really?  I wish I would've known.  Oh well, I still have them because of my CC but PFFCU has been great so far.

Message 55 of 65
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

I have quite a few CU's I am a member of and I am sure I would join more but I think I will hold off for the time being.

Robins Financial - Formerly Robins Federal when they would only serve those that worked at Robins AFB. My dad was an AF civilian worker for 20+ years before retiring and I started my membership when I was young. The first bank I ever put money into and still have my money in. ScoreCard reward-based credit card which is mediocre at best. 

Navy Fed - Joined them when I was in the Army and had my military paycheck depositing there until I retired in 2013. I love their customer service, CLOC, and credit card portfolio. Never tried other products.

PenFed - tough nut to crack with credit products but they finally gave in. Decent credit products (2.5% catback with PCR if your military or vet) 

DCU - nice savings account that is better than Ally if they didn't cap it. Credit products are nothing spectacular but can get them via SP if they like your profile (went from 4.6k to 10k on a SP CLI). Customer service has always been great from the limited times I have had to call them.

AOD - great 3% catback card. Customer service was excellent the 3 times I had to call them when I was applying & getting my account set up. 

Debating on joining others until next year once my home loan closes and I see what my credit needs are and who might fit that need best. Right now, my lineup has a good mix always looking at better options. 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 56 of 65
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

Yeah. I'm part of several right now. 

NFCU 

Penfed - one of the first lenders to give me another chance after BK. I never burned them 

Delta Community CU - I qualify because I live in the area 

Georgia United CU 

Alliant CU

And there are a few others as well I'm part of. I also used to have an account with DCU, but I've already gone into why I was kicked out of there and how I'm trying to get back in as of now. 

I looked at the offerings of Delta Community & Georgia United and not impressed with their credit cards. Pretty meh there. 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 57 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazing list @Aim_High ! Thanks for the DPs. 

It looks like MidFlorida may be a HP for membership?  

@Aim_High wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

@sarge12
I love credit unions for everything except credit card rewards.

I am opposite. 

I only join institutions for their rewards credit cards and I pif. Aside from my mortgage, I don't do or need loans. I'm surprised half of them (or all of them) haven't found a reason to kick me out. 

If you aren't into collecting travel points from AMEX, Chase, or Citi and you focus on Cash Back, it's hard to beat the best credit union cards.  While some of these are geofenced or restricted by Select Employer Groups (SEGs), if you qualify they offer awesome cash rewards.  These offering are often at least as good if not better to cards from the national banks if you shop around and if you qualify.  Here are just a few I know about that are high-earning cash back cards.

AOD FCU Visa Signature:  3% on everything, uncapped and uncategorized, combined with a fixed APR as low as 7.49% and no/low fees.

Mid-Florida Credit Union Visa Signature:  2.5% on everything, uncapped and uncategorized.

Alliant FCU and Farmer's Insurance FCU both offer cards that pay 2.5% on everything, albeit with $99 AFs.  (But if you spend more than $19,800 on either of these cards annually, they start to earn more than a flat 2% card.)   Both cards spend is uncategorized. 

Abound FCU Platinum Visa (formerly Fort Knox):  5% on gas, uncapped.

Aerospace FCU Platinum Visa: 5% on gas, 4% on dining, 3% on travel, 2% everything else.  (caps of $7K, $9K, and $12K apply on 5/4/3)

People Caring More CU (PCMCU) Platinum Rewards Mastercard:  5% back uncategorized on the first $1K spend every month.

Nusenda FCU Platinum Cash Rewards Visa:  5% on rotating categories (cap of $1500 per quarter.)  Current offerings for 2021:

Nusenda_FCU_2021_Cashback.jpg

All the credit unions offering the new Elan Max Cash Preferred card:  5% on two categories (cap of $2K per quarter.)  See a partial list at:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Elan-quot-Max-Cash-quot-vs-US-Bank-Cash/td-p/6198795

Green State Credit Union World Mastercard:  5% on hotels and airfare with no AF.

Vantage West Credit Union Connect Rewards Visa:  5% back in a category of your choice (cap of $1500 per quarter)

Credit Unions offer a substantial number of the flat-rate 2% cash back cards, including PenFed CU, State Department FCU, Randolph-Brooks FCU, Signature FCU, and Pennsylvania State Employees CU (PSECU.)

This list doesn't even count all the CU cards that pay 2% to 3% in selected categories. Smiley Happy

Which 4% and 5%+ cards from Credit Unions am I missing? 

Message 58 of 65
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bdebtfree215 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi 🙋‍♀️ CU Members: Do you belong to multiple Credit Unions? Why? What do you like about each, please, if you belong to more than one? 

Back in the day when locations mattered completely, I joined the CU which as an employee benefit at each new employer. My favorite for location was the one with a branch in our office. That was a sweet feature. 🤩

For folks like me who use the search feature, yes, I put in both CU and Credit Unions in the title to be more findable later... And this was the closest but not it thread which some of you might find relevant for your needs:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/How-many-banking-institutions-do-you-belong-to/m-p/4637814#M8800

I belong to two. The first is NFCU I joined them because I wanted to establish a relationship in order to get a CC. Got approved for $25k this year. I also have Police and Fire Federal Credit Union (PFFCU) because they allow me to get my paycheck and most direct deposits a day early (haha). If NFCU offered that I'd only have one. 

Oh yes! 🙌🏻😂😁 I remember getting my corporate paychecks DD'd and having the funds arriving one day early. How sweet it is! 🌞🌞🌞 Thank you for sharing about your CU's. 🙏🏻🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

It's even sweeter for it to arrive 2 days early Smiley Happy  E.g. Langley, DCU, Chartway, Service, Affinity FCU (in cashback checking acct)

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 59 of 65
Kasuito39
Frequent Contributor

Current CUs 

Langley-Checking/Savings/CC

AndrewsFCU-Savings/CC

CAFCU-Checking/Savings/CC

Patelco-Checking/Savings/CC/PLOC

SignatureFCU-Checking/Savings/Car Loan

AlliantFCU-Checking/Savings

SDFCU-Checking/Savings

SECUMD-Checking/Savings

AlabamaCU-Checking/Savings

NWFCU-Checking/Savings

Additional CUs interested in the future

UNFCU

NIHFCU

UnifyFCU

JusticeFCU

Included in BK-7 blacklist

Penfed 

NFCU

Nasa

Golden 1

Message 60 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.