cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get some input on my overall debt + personal loan option?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I get some input on my overall debt + personal loan option?

So I’m looking into the possibility of taking out a personal loan in a few months. The main things hurting my credit as of now is my amount of credit used to available credit, accounts with balances, and a collection from a couple years back (hospital).
As of now my CC debt is:

Capital One $323/$1500
Credit One $478/$600
Chase $2450/$3000
Best Buy $3120/$2500 - doing 18mo financing the new iPad which is why it’s over
Barclaycard $680/$1550
Avant $2879 due of $7400 loan

Car loan $736 / Pay $750/mo got in June ‘18

Scores as of today are: EQ 646 TU 639 EX 659

Income normally $50k/yr but with me working my part-time job once weekly my yearly income is $60k
- I’ve been debating whether to close the CreditOne account

Some things haven’t been reported to all credit bureaus this month, and am paying way over minimum due on some of these to get as much paid off ASAP
3 REPLIES 3
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Can I get some input on my overall debt + personal loan option?

Welcome to the myFICO forums!

The first item that screams out at me is the Credit One account. Credit One is a known sub-prime predatory lender and that card should only be used to purchase a pack of gum once a month to build a credit history. Credit One credit cards should not be used to carry a balance as they have very high interest rates and high fees. This is a credit card for those without any other credit card options. My first recommendation would be to pay down/off this credit card and close it as soon as reasonably possible, especially before the next annual fee is due.

Capital One $323/$1500....21.53% utilization no FICO scoring penalty
Credit One $478/$600........76.66% utilization a major FICO scoring penalty
Chase $2450/$3000...........81.66% utilization a major FICO scoring penalty
Best Buy $3120/$2500.....124.80% utilization a major FICO scoring penalty
Barclaycard $680/$1550....43.87% utilization a minor FICO scoring penalty

Currently, you are over 77% on your aggregate revolving credit utilization. Above 70% and you incur a major FICO score penalty. You want to get this below 30% to have no FICO scoring penalty and below 9% will give you a FICO scoring bonus.

At this point without knowing what your income is or your debt to income ratio, I see you overextended in your credit. I am not sure what you are looking at a personal loan for but if you were able to get one approved, it will be at an extremely high interest rate. 

Some general suggestions for you are to start paying cash on your purchases and to start paying down your highest interest rate credit card first with your available disposable income while paying the minimum payment pulse $5 on the remainder of your revolving accounts. When you get your highest interest rate card paid off to continue this on your next highest card and so on until you have your cards paid off.

The key to credit building is to only charge on a credit card what you have the ability to pay off in full each month. With that in mind, you should also start a plan to save and build an emergency cash fund which is only for true emergencies, such as job loss, emergency room visits, unexpected car repairs, unexpected but necessary debt such as appliance replacement or home repairs.

I know it probably seems impossible but it can be done. I did it. You have to live within your means. So before you look to get a personal loan you will need to at least pay down your revolving credit cards to less than 30% utilization if you want to get an approval and a decent interest rate.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 4
Late2theGame
New Contributor

I am no expert but I agree with the previous poster, additionally I recommend the following.

1.) Pay Off the credit One card first, not only because they are a known predatory lender, but because the amount is much more manageable and once you have that paid off, you have more liquid assets to apply to others. For the same reason I would pay off the BC CC, manageable balance, then I would work on the other two.

IMO, with utilization rates that high, If it were me, I would start evaluating my life to see where you can make cuts.

I love Rockstar energy drinks for example, and grabbing something quick from the eatory next door to work during lunch. Until my next savings goal is met, these things are not in my future.

Starting Score: EQ:791 | TU:785 | EX:781
Current Score: EQ:791 | TU:785 | EX:781
Goal Score: EQ:800 | TU:800 | EX:800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'm with the posters above me on this one. Op, right now you are over extended, and this includes a loan that you already have that is current. Initially, I would've told you to maybe consider that option, but as mentioned, the interest rate would likely be ridiculously high.

The best thing is to find ways to cut out some expenses, ant not add anymore to your balances but bring your balances down a little by little. Come up with a plan to accomplish these goals, and some of the things already mentioned. It is usually easier to start with the smallest or more achievable tasks first, and keep working your way up. At least you will see progress and start to get on a roll. But this will certainly take discipline on your end. You can do this though!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.