Not applicable

Re: NFCU 3-5 Day Notice

1c5c96b3-03bb-4eb7-8fd2-417da63786f4.png

*heavy breathing* looks like NFCU accepted my membership application <3 

Message 21 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Membership... APPROVED!!!!

Woooooooooohoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Called in today after not hearing anything for 6 days and I was told my membership to join NFCU has been APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!! I am so excited to be apart of the family and hope to apply for credit products in October! I can confirm that simply applying for membership DOES NOT initiate a HARD INQUIRY!! It also appears they do not run Chexsystems or Telecheck or Early Warning Services, unless I have yet to hit that hurdle. What would be a 'good' first card to get with them? I'm eyeing the Amex card as it would benefit me most, with my spending, but my gut tells me that is a prestige card that is probably out of my league. I wouldn't want to apply and get stuck with a low starting limit that won't grow. 

I'm reading and hearing mixed things on MyFico, for credit cards does NFCU pull Equifax or TransUnion? I was told on the phone by NFCU that they 90% of the time pull TU for credit applications. Also, does opening a checking account pull a hard inquiry? Seeing as it didn't for the automatic/required savings account required to become a member. 

Thanks everyone! <3 

Message 22 of 37
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU Membership... APPROVED!!!!

Navy usually pulls TU for CC accounts, I wouldn't consider the "Amex" prestige at all. The flagship has a min limit of 5K, so that is sometimes a little harder to get.

I suggest you take some time and read the following thread it has al the answers there.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Navy-Federal-Thread-for-CLI-and-Additional...

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 23 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

The Amex has the same UW criteria as their other cards. Only the Flagship has stricter criteria (due to $5K minimum SL and apparently other factors since we saw someone get denied Flagship and then approved for another card at $10K). 

With the revamp of the Amex rewards — increasing restaurants to 3X instead of 2X and adding commuting for 3X, it’s a no-brainer card for most people. 

Message 24 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

Navy usually pulls TU for CC accounts, I wouldn't consider the "Amex" prestige at all. The flagship has a min limit of 5K, so that is sometimes a little harder to get.

I suggest you take some time and read the following thread it has al the answers there.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Navy-Federal-Thread-for-CLI-and-Additional...

MyFicoMomma, thanks for linking that- that's what I was looking for to no avail. Right now I don't have to worry about any 'travel' cards, as I've never even been on a plane before! The gas, groceries and restaurants on the Amex is certainly tempting. Would be good to use with my Discover categories.

Message 25 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!

The Amex has the same UW criteria as their other cards. Only the Flagship has stricter criteria (due to $5K minimum SL and apparently other factors since we saw someone get denied Flagship and then approved for another card at $10K). 

With the revamp of the Amex rewards — increasing restaurants to 3X instead of 2X and adding commuting for 3X, it’s a no-brainer card for most people. 

Thanks buddy (: - I hope that will be my next card come October! 

PS: How's your sherbet card coming along? Smiley Wink

Message 26 of 37
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Navy-Federal-Thread-for-CLI-and-Additional-Cards/m-p/5709124#M238422

MyFicoMomma, thanks for linking that- that's what I was looking for to no avail. Right now I don't have to worry about any 'travel' cards, as I've never even been on a plane before! The gas, groceries and restaurants on the Amex is certainly tempting. Would be good to use with my Discover categories.

NP, just hope you have a few hours or even days, it's a lonnnnnng thread , but has so much information.

Navy is a great CU to get intoSmiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 27 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!

It’s still sherbet. I have managed not to spend any more money on it and if I can make it through this month without spending any more, I’ll be very happy. 

May I ask why you’re waiting til October? The current offer on the More Rewards, 1.99% for 6 months on purchases and $300 worth of points after spending $3K in 90 days, expires on September 8th I believe and nobody knows what the new offer will be. 

Message 28 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!

It’s still sherbet. I have managed not to spend any more money on it and if I can make it through this month without spending any more, I’ll be very happy. 

May I ask why you’re waiting til October? The current offer on the More Rewards, 1.99% for 6 months on purchases and $300 worth of points after spending $3K in 90 days, expires on September 8th I believe and nobody knows what the new offer will be. 

You'll have to keep me updated on the color changes, hah, looks so cool but i'm an avid Google Pixel fanboy. 

Sure, so, this month was supposed to be "the month" but after these events... I don't think so anymore lol!

Paid off my Self Lender, establishing 1yr of credit but it cost me 31pts (expected), opened the PPMC in July, actually gained 4 FICO pts,  Discover 'should' graduate on the 23rd.. but the PPMC reported a balance earlier than the first payment requirement date (sept 2) so it reported 34.6% usage yesterday (36%/100% utlziation total), tanking me another 17 points. Now i'm down to 703. I don't want to apply for any new cards with such high utulization, as I normally pay in full or carry 8.9% or less of a balance. This totally threw a wrench in my plans. 

As always, your replies are valued and warmly appreciated, thanks bud.

Message 29 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean those scores are still plenty for NFCU as long as your DTI is still low. I understand though, no pressure either way. Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.