Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car insurance during pandemic times

tag
FICOlearner123
Regular Contributor

Car insurance during pandemic times

Hi, I have hardly driven more than 200 miles per month since March 2020 and paid more than 1K+ insurance premiums (after the 15% discount that Geico had offered) for my 2008 Corolla and 2019 Odyssey with Geico has anyone found any better alternatives.

Goal Cards
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Car insurance during pandemic times

Check out one of the insurance companies that charge you based on your mileage like Metromile. I used them when I worked from home a few years ago and it worked really well as long as I didn't much driving that month. 

Message 2 of 17
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Most insurance companies have policy option for those who drive less than xx per month. Have you asked about a better fit with less driving? Most companies won't come right out and offer least cost option.

Message 3 of 17
FICOlearner123
Regular Contributor

@blindambition tried discussing with Geico on the phone and they couldnt offer any better

Goal Cards
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would highly recommend getting quotes from multiple insurance agencies.  They can vary wildly in price.  Geico is one of the more expensive quotes for me personally.  USAA still quotes me double for what I am paying now.  Geico is up there with USAA in price for me.  I am with Progressive now and nobody has come even close to touching the rate.  

Once again though, what is cheapest for me might be the most expensive for someone else.  Get as many quotes as you can.  Try State Farm and Progressive and see what happens.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd also suggest going the "mileage" route, it seems to be like a beter choice for those who don't drive much. Which TBH is about where I'm at with this whole thing, not that I drove that much before, but certainly more than the last 6-8 months. Personally though I don't like changing companies that often, nor does the Mileage route really appeal to me. 

I will say that sometimes a change is needed or i think you stagnate at the current place, I spent years with Progessive without any rate decerases. Finally switched to Geico due to a significant lower rate, and now may have to think about another switch as i feel $1K per year is a bit pricey for something I'm not actively benefiting from.

Message 6 of 17
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Does anyone use a Insurance broker anymore, one that shops rates at a lot of companies?

I think that is how I ended up with Mercury, really low rate compared to my old company.

I think I pay about 1/2 of what I paid before.

Message 7 of 17
pontevecchio
Established Member

I would suggest AAA car Insurance. We changed from GEICO after 20 years and we are paying half as much and with the ability to get Insurance for one year at a time instead of every 6 months. Our cost became 800 USD vs 1600 USD. This was a couple of months back.

Message 8 of 17
calyx
Super Contributor

Companies rates differ for every state.    My old insurance company (who I was very happy with), keeps trying to get me back and every time I talk with a CSR, they'll admit that their rates are really bad for my current state.

I had Geico - got their 15% pandemic discount for my last 6 month policy, but I *just* did insurance shopping (policy ends this month and I actually paid for the new one yesterday) and halved my bill with Progressive (and I increased my coverage).    The discounts were better from them, as well.    My partner works from home and hardly ever drives, I have a short commute and track my mileage, so I could be very accurate with the mileage & use.    I forget who he had with insurance before I put him on my policy (I think it was AAA)

Sometimes I'll call an independent insurance person and have them give me quotes, too.     I've had Liberty, Allstate, State Farm, Geico, and now Progressive - I haven't had any issues with any of them (I've had tickets/accidents with Liberty, Allstate, & State Farm;  sister has had accident with Geico - nothing unusual or difficult with any of them).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 9 of 17
calyx
Super Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Does anyone use a Insurance broker anymore, one that shops rates at a lot of companies?

I think that is how I ended up with Mercury, really low rate compared to my old company.

I think I pay about 1/2 of what I paid before.

^ I will check with them periodically, but the internet or referral programs have brought me the best rate in more recent years.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.