Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash Deposits for a checking account at Alliant Credit Union

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cash Deposits for a checking account at Alliant Credit Union

I don't live near a cash deposit atm that is in the Alliant Credit Union network.  This sucks because my job is based on cash tips so I have a lot cash that I take to the bank at least twice a week.  I call Alliant to see if they have another way to make cash deposits and they say I have $20 worth of atm reimbursements that I can use.

I start looking for local banks that I can use to deposit cash into their atm and so far I find nothing.  If I use my Alliant debit card at a Regions Bank atm ( I live near Birmingham, AL), there is no deposit option on the screen at the atm so I cannot do that.  If I keep checking at Wells Fargo, PNC, etc... then I may discover the same situation at their atm's. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can deposit cash straight into this checking account with Alliant Credit Union?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Cash Deposits for a checking account at Alliant Credit Union

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't live near a cash deposit atm that is in the Alliant Credit Union network.  This sucks because my job is based on cash tips so I have a lot cash that I take to the bank at least twice a week.  I call Alliant to see if they have another way to make cash deposits and they say I have $20 worth of atm reimbursements that I can use.

I start looking for local banks that I can use to deposit cash into their atm and so far I find nothing.  If I use my Alliant debit card at a Regions Bank atm ( I live near Birmingham, AL), there is no deposit option on the screen at the atm so I cannot do that.  If I keep checking at Wells Fargo, PNC, etc... then I may discover the same situation at their atm's. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can deposit cash straight into this checking account with Alliant Credit Union?

I took a quick peek at the Alliant branch/ATM locator tool and there don't seem to be any deposit-taking ATMs local to Birmingham or the surrounding area (I have family there as well).  The AllPoint ATMs that are "in-network" don't indicate they take deposits, although I'm not sure if that is always perfectly accurate so if you're near one it might be worth at least checking out.

That said, Alliant does appear to participate in shared branching, which might be an option for you.  It's certainly not as convenient as using an ATM, but it might be an option in a pinch.

While not quite the same, I have similar issues with USAA and cash deposits.  That is the reason I keep an account with a local bank as well; in my case the much-maligned Wells Fargo.  When I need to deposit cash, I simply stick it into the WF ATM, then I transfer it to USAA.  Again, not a perfect solution but it's worked for me for several years now. 

There are many other Alliant members on here, and it's likely some of them will have a solution that might work better for you.  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

it always is fun having a second Credit Union that is a shared branch.

Also, Alliant may do mobile deposits with a check but not a money order.

I just have a very similar situation with Alliant for deposits in 30742 zipcode. I have to go another city to deposit with a shared branch.

Message 3 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you're out of luck, will just need to find a local place, and then make online transfers.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I knew there was a reason why I kept my TD checking open.
Message 5 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

TD has the advantage of being open more than other financial institutions.

But it doesn't offer the easy ACH transfer capabilities that credit unions, and some banks, offer.

Message 6 of 18
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

I am going to show my ignorance.   What is a shared branch?

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 7 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MakingProgress wrote:

I am going to show my ignorance.   What is a shared branch?

Some credit unions have banded together into a network of 'shared branches', where you can do the same basic transactions -- such as making a deposit -- which you could do at a branch of your own credit union.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Always have a second bank ... what happens if they go down, get malwear, get hacked ... ? Sure glad I do. Like UncleB, I have a bank that I cannot reach so I use my other one and transfer the funds (note however not a bank with such a high reputation). Smiley Happy In truth, I have too many banks ...

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Always have a second bank ... what happens if they go down, get malwear, get hacked ... ? Sure glad I do. Like UncleB, I have a bank that I cannot reach so I use my other one and transfer the funds (note however not a bank with such a high reputation). Smiley Happy

No worries Dino, I have more than 10 banks, a lot more if you count 5% prepaid debit savings accounts, I'm well covered.Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.