Did you mean: 

Cash Deposits for a checking account at Alliant Credit Union

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Cash Deposits for a checking account at Alliant Credit Union

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:

I am going to show my ignorance.   What is a shared branch?

Some credit unions have banded together into a network of 'shared branches', where you can do the same basic transactions -- such as making a deposit -- which you could do at a branch of your own credit union.

+1

If you already know your own CU participates you can do a quick search from this page for a nearby shared branch:   http://sharedbranching.org/

You can get more general info on CU Shared Branching here:  https://co-opcreditunions.org/

Message 11 of 18
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:

I am going to show my ignorance.   What is a shared branch?

Some credit unions have banded together into a network of 'shared branches', where you can do the same basic transactions -- such as making a deposit -- which you could do at a branch of your own credit union.

+1

If you already know your own CU participates you can do a quick search from this page for a nearby shared branch:   http://sharedbranching.org/

You can get more general info on CU Shared Branching here:  https://co-opcreditunions.org/

Yep, I made a cash deposit into my DCU savings account yesterday here in southern AZ. DCU only has branches in MA & NH, but with CU Shared Branching it's not a problem.

Message 12 of 18
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Maintain an account with a major branch.  My primary bank is online, but I have a savings account with Bank of America - which has come in handy multiple times, and there's a BoA freaking everywhere lol. 

Downside is that maintaining the branch account requires funds to be tied up to avoid the monthly fee.  So, I guess it depends on your own analysis of how useful it would be versus the money that would be parked there.  For my purposes, I find it worthwhile.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Per the Alliant representative, they do not participate in shared branching/co-op so that will not work.  Despite this, according to the branch/atm locator on the Alliant website, Navy Federal accepts deposits from Alliant customers.  Unfortunately, the closest NFCU is 60 miles away from me. 

My local America's First Federal Credit union gives me free cashiers checks since I have an account with them.  I used them for cash deposits till now and transferred the money electronically with them to Alliant.  Alliant has same day turnaround for mobile check deposits and cashiers checks have no hold time.  As long as the check is uploaded with my camera phone by 3pm central time monday-friday, then the check is deposited and funds are available that same day. 

After a week of solution searching, my problem is solved.  Thank you for the insight.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have made many many money order deposits through the mobile deposit with Alliant. Just have your cash converted to a money order and it will be instantly posted to your account when you mobile deposit.
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have made many many money order deposits through the mobile deposit with Alliant. Just have your cash converted to a money order and it will be instantly posted to your account when you mobile deposit.

I have never used a money order.  I know they charge for them at Walmart, Publix, etc...  Maybe my local credit union will give me a free money order.  I will check.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Walmart has the cheapest rate, $0.70 for up to $1000.
Message 17 of 18
joltdude
Senior Contributor

At one point you could do virtual Share Branching with the Sprig app.. though both my CUs have exited the program...

It was neat though.. I could remote check deposit into Sprig (which had an awful image capture but i digress) and i could transfer it into and between HFCU and MIT FCU.... at home... 

Shared branching is also useful if your CU has cashless branches...... *eyeroll*

As an aside.. many CUs will issue you 1 check a day for free from your account...

Heh i remember one CU i belong to.. to get cash from a stone... (ah cashless branches) before they moved and had an atm attached... you went in.. and got a check that was drawn on the banks account at the bank  a few doors down... and that bank would cash it without a fee if you presented your ID to the teller.. Thought it was clever.... 

-J

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.