Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Checking Bonus

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Checking Bonus

@Anonymouswrote:

You receive the entire bonus.  But, you'll have to pay taxes on it at the end of the year!

Well, just to clarify, for all bank account bonuses you'll get a 1099-INT form, reporting the bonus as taxable interest income to the IRS. Whether or not you actually pay taxes on it depends on your tax situation. Smiley Happy

And FYI, credit card sign up bonuses are NOT reported as taxable income, the IRS considers them a discount on purchases since you have to spend a certain amount to receive them.

Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

You receive the entire bonus.  But, you'll have to pay taxes on it at the end of the year!

Well, just to clarify, for all bank account bonuses you'll get a 1099-INT form, reporting the bonus as taxable interest income to the IRS. Whether or not you actually pay taxes on it depends on your tax situation. Smiley Happy

And FYI, credit card sign up bonuses are NOT reported as taxable income, the IRS considers them a discount on purchases since you have to spend a certain amount to receive them.

Thanks for all of the clarification.  I'm no expert!  lol.  I just set up my direct deposit.  I set it up for the first $150 of my weekly checks will be deposited into the new chase account. Should hit in a couple weeks!!

Message 22 of 26
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Well, my first direct deposit hit Feb. 28. Terms of the offer says the bonus will be deposited with 10 business days. Got my $300 bonus yesterday, fast turnaround!

That gets me up to $500 in bank account bonuses so far this year, next target is Discover Savings for $150, my goal is $1k for the year.  Smiley Tongue

Last year I did $450 in bank account bonuses and $400 in credit card SUBs, cutting back on new CCs this year and focusing on bank accounts.

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awesome, Dave!

Thanks for the information, and good luck with your $1k in bank account bonuses!!

I might look into that as well.  Heck.  It's free money!!

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first direct deposit hit the new chase checking account this morning. So, according to daves post, hopefully ill see my $300 bonus next Friday!
Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, when I logged on to my mobile chase app this morning, there was a note to check preselected offers.  I had no green checkmarks, but I did notice that my prequalified offers were all 4 back in business!

Hope that is a promising sign!!

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.