Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Banking

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Chase Sapphire Banking

I looked for a thread but couldn't find it; but has anyone done any looking into this product that was announced a week ago by Chase?

https://accounts.chase.com/sapphire/brand

Admittedly deposit rates still are pretty lackluster, but I stumbled across this on their You Invest free trade announcement and the CPC-like benefits look enticing if I can just leave a self-directed brokerage or retirement account there to meet the $75k... would not be difficult and I wouldn't be opposed to just transfering over one of my Fidelity accounts.

Really the only knock I had on CPC was the fact it was a managed service and I'm a little opposed to those on general principal, but when we are talking 100 free trades and even then 2.95/trade after that, well I'm not really actively trading much at the moment but realistically I'd probably save $300/year or thereabouts just by moving my Fidelity accounts entirely.

Anyway wanted to see if anyone else had looked at it, I may go down and talk to someone at one of the CPC branches just to see what they say for giggles over a late lunch or whatever.

        
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Banking

I have CPC and while my IRA is a managed account I also have a “You Invest” account that qualifies for free trades as a result of being CPC, so I’m assuming if I want to move my IRA to a non-managed “You Invest” account I’m able to 

PS - managed JP Morgan account fees are negotiable, your advisor is able to reduce them to a point (mine are well below the published rates)

PPS - with CPC you’re assigned both a Chase Private Client Banker and a JP Morgan Private Client Investment Advisor...I personally don’t use my banker for much but I do talk to my JP Morgan Advisor every so often

Message 2 of 53
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

That's an interesting bit of information Lurker, thank you.

I don't think I'm going to get to be able to talk to them today, well maybe, late lunch and there's a branch nearby there... but between the fact that my trades get non-trivially cheaper, and I can move money back and forth between my Chase checking account which my paycheck runs through and my investment account and apparently Intra-bank is way faster to transfer and settle than any experience I've had with Fidelity... I'm not certain it makes any rational sense to keep anything at Fidelity at this point.

I'd qualify CPC if I moved everything over after the absurd runup I had this year in my brokerage account (31% YOY like what the actual F) and to your point maybe I should talk to them too about that if I'm moving the bulk of my financial assets to Chase and just compare and contrast.  

Yeah think I will go have the conversation today after lunch.

        
Message 3 of 53
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

Intrabank transfers are optional not not automatically setup (which seems silly) but yes transfer is same day when enabled 

Message 4 of 53
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Lurker22 wrote:

Intrabank transfers are optional not not automatically setup (which seems silly) but yes transfer is same day when enabled 

Yeah, I did go to talk to the CPC individual at one of the local Chase branches today; he actually took a note when I told him that it basically funded and settled day of for my transfer from a Chase checking account.  That is an obvious selling point to me anyway, and apparently to him too.  I don't know when exactly it went through, but I do know it was settled 27 minutes before market close... and my transfer to Fidelity would barely have even begun by that point and normal ACH timers.  

Turns out I should've been looking at this from the other direction: Sapphire Banking like CPC gets free trades on You Invest period apparently: falls into the "or more" portion of "100 free trades or more" apparently.

In talking to the banker they were trying to go two fold: capture some folks like me, and also keep some people in the fold after selling their house and transferring their 300k capital gains or whatever into a Vanguard account with their cost structure.  Also looks like they're taking a swipe at Schwab's most excellent debit card services too, which to date if you travelled internationally it was the only way to fly and basically dupicated the no fee and no exchange fee structure.  Good call on that one Chase!

What wasn't known was on the loan side, I'd read something online but it wasn't known in bank (actually I was the first person to talk to him about it) if it was like CPC or not vis a vis CPC can get rate discounts and also has their own set of mortgage underwriting for example (and I have nothing but good things to say about Chase's handling of my own non-CPC mortgage back in 2015 anyway).

Some limitations on the You Invest side: their fixed income is a bit lame.  Minor detail you can't do fixed income on the mobile app which is a first world problem to be sure, but more to the point, you can't search by corporate name in any shape, form, or fashion or by CUISP, and everything is IG: no chasing high returns here unlike Schwab or Fidelity.  Also derivative trading appears to be a non-starter.

So basically for me, I'd take the brokerage account where I do really nothing but equity trades (I'd lose some option capability but that's not the end of the world for me), and leave the main IRA with Fidelity where I can do junk bonds and some other option trading.  

I'm not seeing much reason not to do it frankly: I save some money in transaction costs, and I can more easily shuffle money around between my non-retirement brokerage account and the rest of my life.  As is I don't see any reason to ever initiate an ACH going to Fidelity again with that Intra-Bank transfer capability enabled, and that's if I don't move the current brokerage account and maybe my wayward Roth IRA out of Wealthfront.

        
Message 5 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those who stash $75,000 in a checking account aren't managing their money correctly (yes, I know, sounds wrong). 

To get even CU rates on $75,000 is a major loss to inflation every year. Better off just stashing everything but a few grand in an investment account to get a 3% or higher return on your money. 

I like what Chase is doing here. The account has barely any fees, even four waived overdraft fees per year, but does have the minimum requirement. Some people may be better off paying the $25/month if they frequently write checks, conduct frequent wire transfers, overdraft a few times a year, etc. 

Message 6 of 53
iced
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I looked for a thread but couldn't find it; but has anyone done any looking into this product that was announced a week ago by Chase?

https://accounts.chase.com/sapphire/brand

Admittedly deposit rates still are pretty lackluster, but I stumbled across this on their You Invest free trade announcement and the CPC-like benefits look enticing if I can just leave a self-directed brokerage or retirement account there to meet the $75k... would not be difficult and I wouldn't be opposed to just transfering over one of my Fidelity accounts.

Really the only knock I had on CPC was the fact it was a managed service and I'm a little opposed to those on general principal, but when we are talking 100 free trades and even then 2.95/trade after that, well I'm not really actively trading much at the moment but realistically I'd probably save $300/year or thereabouts just by moving my Fidelity accounts entirely.

Anyway wanted to see if anyone else had looked at it, I may go down and talk to someone at one of the CPC branches just to see what they say for giggles over a late lunch or whatever.

I just took a quick look at it, but I'm coming away with the feeling it's not really offering anything that's not already out there. People with sufficient funds in some brokerages get all trading fees waived, even when the account is managed (investments in managed funds will still have their usual maintenance fees, of course). The angle here I could see is it's good for people who have at least $75k but not enough to get into the tier of brokerages where things get comped. I also feel like most people have very little activity in their brokerages once seeded - maybe 2-3 trades a year. For those people, waiving trading fees still sounds really awesome but the actual value realized from it is pretty minimal.

ATM reimbursements are offered at some CUs and banks, even with no/low minimums on deposit.

The way to think about this is not if the program has valuable benefits, but rather if the program has valuable benefits you'll actually make use of and would add up to sufficient value to initiate a transfer to that bank. Where I see garbage, someone else may well see treasure.

Message 7 of 53
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Lurker22 wrote:

Yeah, I did go to talk to the CPC individual at one of the local Chase branches today; he actually took a note when I told him that it basically funded and settled day of for my transfer from a Chase checking account.  That is an obvious selling point to me anyway, and apparently to him too.  I don't know when exactly it went through, but I do know it was settled 27 minutes before market close... and my transfer to Fidelity would barely have even begun by that point and normal ACH timers.  

Turns out I should've been looking at this from the other direction: Sapphire Banking like CPC gets free trades on You Invest period apparently: falls into the "or more" portion of "100 free trades or more" apparently.

In talking to the banker they were trying to go two fold: capture some folks like me, and also keep some people in the fold after selling their house and transferring their 300k capital gains or whatever into a Vanguard account with their cost structure.  Also looks like they're taking a swipe at Schwab's most excellent debit card services too, which to date if you travelled internationally it was the only way to fly and basically dupicated the no fee and no exchange fee structure.  Good call on that one Chase!

What wasn't known was on the loan side, I'd read something online but it wasn't known in bank (actually I was the first person to talk to him about it) if it was like CPC or not vis a vis CPC can get rate discounts and also has their own set of mortgage underwriting for example (and I have nothing but good things to say about Chase's handling of my own non-CPC mortgage back in 2015 anyway).

Some limitations on the You Invest side: their fixed income is a bit lame.  Minor detail you can't do fixed income on the mobile app which is a first world problem to be sure, but more to the point, you can't search by corporate name in any shape, form, or fashion or by CUISP, and everything is IG: no chasing high returns here unlike Schwab or Fidelity.  Also derivative trading appears to be a non-starter.

So basically for me, I'd take the brokerage account where I do really nothing but equity trades (I'd lose some option capability but that's not the end of the world for me), and leave the main IRA with Fidelity where I can do junk bonds and some other option trading.  

I'm not seeing much reason not to do it frankly: I save some money in transaction costs, and I can more easily shuffle money around between my non-retirement brokerage account and the rest of my life.  As is I don't see any reason to ever initiate an ACH going to Fidelity again with that Intra-Bank transfer capability enabled, and that's if I don't move the current brokerage account and maybe my wayward Roth IRA out of Wealthfront.

Yep not a bad product overall but I don't know why they haven't gotten anyone attention before the free trades (other than that's a huge new field) the only addition to the CPC program is the free trades, all of the other benefits have been there for years (oh they did make 1 ATM change, ATM fee rebates used to be limited to 5/month, they're unlimited now)....

Message 8 of 53
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Those who stash $75,000 in a checking account aren't managing their money correctly (yes, I know, sounds wrong). 

To get even CU rates on $75,000 is a major loss to inflation every year. Better off just stashing everything but a few grand in an investment account to get a 3% or higher return on your money. 

I like what Chase is doing here. The account has barely any fees, even four waived overdraft fees per year, but does have the minimum requirement. Some people may be better off paying the $25/month if they frequently write checks, conduct frequent wire transfers, overdraft a few times a year, etc. 

Personally I agree with you but there might be a reason someone would have $75K in a checking account....but remember you don't need to have $75K (or $250K for CPC) on deposit in a checking account, you only need to have assets at these levels within the JP Morgan Chase & Co family, in my case my IRA at JP Morgan puts me into the CPC program for free (I have 3 checking accounts at JP Morgan Chase Bank, 2 have been under $100 for months now and the 3rd is the main one I use, with floats it could be a decent amount until my mortgage and other bills clear but no where near those limits)

Message 9 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lurker22 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Lurker22 wrote:

Yep not a bad product overall but I don't know why they haven't gotten anyone attention before the free trades (other than that's a huge new field) the only addition to the CPC program is the free trades, all of the other benefits have been there for years (oh they did make 1 ATM change, ATM fee rebates used to be limited to 5/month, they're unlimited now)....

They're trying to compete with Schwab by offering unlimited rebates and $2.95 a trade (except when you get free trades). 

Message 10 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.